A Plea to Google - Change Android Naming Convention

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
If ANYONE at Google happens to be trolling this forum then I beg of you to PLEAAAAASE change the naming convention for the Android OS. The dessert names are already a bit tarded and will only get stupider as the alphabet continues. Do you know of a dessert that starts with X cause I sure don't! It took me forever just to think of a dessert that starts with K....key lime pie....and then what about L?....lemon meringue pie? Are half of the OS' going to be named after pies? How long is it before you start using Chinese desserts because you couldn't think of anything for that letter? There are a ton of other options out there so please start exploring some! Name the OS after galaxies, constellations, mythological figures....or heck even completely made up words like "introducting the new Android Jerbidy, followed by Krithmo"

I don't know....just stop with the freakin' desserts!!!!

P.S. - Yes I am aware that Google will never see or care about this...just venting frustration lol :)

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought of it as one more reason we are cooler than Apple :)

Isn't Windows coming out with Mango? Fruits are over-rated so I guess we stick to desserts :)

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Lol I have never heard of "King Cake". I'm amazed nobody dislikes the naming convention as much as I do....desserts just seem too kiddy I guess I dunno.....then again Karmic Koala sounds far more childish lol.

tlrsax54

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Lol I have never heard of "King Cake". I'm amazed nobody dislikes the naming convention as much as I do....desserts just seem too kiddy I guess I dunno.....then again Karmic Koala sounds far more childish lol.

Like the icon of Floyd isn't kiddy in itself? ;) hehe...we run an OS by a green alien looking thing comprised of a square and semi-circle...with no mouth... ;)

It's kind of unique though...Although there is Android 1.X and 2.X...I think it's a cooler feeling when I tell my friend "oh yeah I'm running gingerbread" hehe...rather than "yeah iOS5...."

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
"never heard of king cake"
What cursure is this?
Being from NOLA, I KNOW king cake..and Paul's Pastry in Picayune has the BEST!

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the look on people's faces when I say my phone runs Gingerbread. My best friend looked at me like I was insane when I told her her new phone (she got my old Optimus S when I got my EVO last week) was running Gingerbread but if it started acting up she'd need to downgrade to Froyo.

I think their naming convention is cute. It's especially hilarious to see a large group of adult men tossing out dessert names followed by computer hardware or software terms.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Magicman08

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
While I agree that "Gingerbread" is not a terrible name I am going to LOATHE saying my phone is running "Ice Cream Sandwich". It will henceforth be known as ICS in my eyes. I wouldn't necessarily say that the android logo is kiddy...its just a fun and simplistic design but I suppose I could see why people might think otherwise.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they will make a build called Peanut Butter & Jelly and have a default ringtone of Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

----------

Edit: I hope I didn't give them any ideas...

duffkitty

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Visit site
I heard Fedora 17 will be Beefy Miracle. I like the dessert codenames and think they'll expand our dessert vocabulary when they get to X and Z. Maybe they'll get all Willy Wonka on us.

Hoverbot

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
"never heard of king cake"
What cursure is this?
Being from NOLA, I KNOW king cake..and Paul's Pastry in Picayune has the BEST!

My mother grew up in NOLA, and I used to live in Jackson. I've only had it once though, and no one here in NC has heard of it. Must be one of those regional things. Like Neeses's liver pudding.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
...just stop with the freakin' desserts!!!!

P.S. - Yes I am aware that Google will never see or care about this...just venting frustration lol :)

You know why they do it? Its to appeal to children and future generations. In 2007 there was a promo released by Google for the "Open Handset Alliance". In the promo, there is a group of kids that were asked "If you had a magic dream phone...what would it do?" Like kids do...they answered, well...like kids. They mentioned Cookies, pizza, cupcakes...ice cream, etc. Some mentioned cameras, some mentioned robots, but I think the names of the OS's were a throwback of sorts to including as many of the kids idea's as he (Andy) could.

CHECK IT OUT :eek:)

kingdavidbaker

Jan 7, 2011
www.kingdavidbaker.com
Oh by all means lets please the kids....god knows they don't have enough people wiping their tushies and telling them the world is a great big ball of hope and awesome good times where nobody is a loser and everybody is a winner. God forbid we play dodgeball because the fat kid is gonna lose and feel bad which will then lower his self esteem....self esteem??? Gotta be kidding me with this self esteem crap nowadays....have you ever met a kid that needed MORE self esteem? As George Carlin put it 99% of kids think they are gonna be a policeman, a fireman, an astronaut, a singer and an actor all by the time they are 30....sounds to me like they think pretty highly of themselves. And did anyone ever think that maybe that fat kid SHOULD feel bad because he loses at every game?....there is a reason for that and he needs to figure it out before he becomes an adult or the world is going to take a giant dump on his head.

Lol sorry I know that got ridiculously off topic haha...nevertheless while I understand that kids will one day be buying smartphones so they want to appeal to them it is still stupid because by the time they are buying a smart phone they will be an adult...thus no longer caring about cookies and ice cream.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh by all means lets please the kids....god knows they don't have enough people wiping their tushies and telling them the world is a great big ball of hope and awesome good times where nobody is a loser and everybody is a winner. God forbid we play dodgeball because the fat kid is gonna lose and feel bad which will then lower his self esteem....self esteem??? Gotta be kidding me with this self esteem crap nowadays....have you ever met a kid that needed MORE self esteem? As George Carlin put it 99% of kids think they are gonna be a policeman, a fireman, an astronaut, a singer and an actor all by the time they are 30....sounds to me like they think pretty highly of themselves. And did anyone ever think that maybe that fat kid SHOULD feel bad because he loses at every game?....there is a reason for that and he needs to figure it out before he becomes an adult or the world is going to take a giant dump on his head.

Lol sorry I know that got ridiculously off topic haha...nevertheless while I understand that kids will one day be buying smartphones so they want to appeal to them it is still stupid because by the time they are buying a smart phone they will be an adult...thus no longer caring about cookies and ice cream.
Let me start by saying...you're not completely wrong at least not in your first paragraph... Kids are coddled and catered to way too much these days. (is it wrong that I laughed out loud when you said "that fat kid SHOULD feel bad"? :eek:D )

where I disagree is in your second paragraph...while KIDS are not buying cell phones..those same stupida$$ parents who kiss those kids butts all day...are buying them cell phones too. Some of those same kids that still dream about cookies and ice cream...SADLY ...already HAVE cell phones.

anyway, i could be wrong about the naming scheme. Doesn't matter to me what they call it... I don't think Lion, Cheetah, and Snow Leopard are any better or worse names. Just glad Android is still moving forward and constantly trying to improve. They can bring on all the pansy candy names they want IMO as long as the experience keeps getting better. Besides, I can always refer to my OS as "Version 2.2.3...or version 4.0.1...etc"

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand the frivolousness of it, but I'll gladly take it. Anything but stupid acronyms. The tech world could stand to lose a few acronyms like the fat kid in your above rant could stand to lose a few pounds. ICS is already troubling to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech