why the heck am I not receiving gmail notifications now on FROYO?

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I've just about had it with this piece of crap phone. a week ago I had to do a factory reset because after that joke of a GB update, i got stuck in a boot loop.

factory reset went off without a hitch and I am NOW BACK ON FROYO, and everything was fine. now, 6 days later (as of Oct 19 2011) i've magically stopped receiving Gmail notifications. I've missed TONS of work emails in the last 2 days now, emails I should have been replying to promptly, because this phone is not telling me when I get these emails.

i've had it with this piece of junk. I really need some help here. I can't continue to not receive emails. my gmail is still set (as it has always been) to autosync, sync background data, both accounts under 'manage accounts' are set to sync, etc. i've tried restarting the phone, uninstalling all gmail updates, reinstalling gmail updates, etc.

the only way i can get a notification to show up is if i manually unclick and then reclick the "sync" button under accounts & sync. so it's as if the sync feature on my phone has stopped working correctly and it won't continually sync.

edited to make it clear that this problem is on Froyo - not gingerbread.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: why the fck am I not receiving gmail notifications now

I've just about had it with this piece of crap phone. a week ago I had to do a factory reset because after that joke of a GB update, i got stuck in a boot loop.

factory reset went off without a hitch, and everything was fine. now, 6 days later (as of yesterday) i've magically stopped receiving Gmail notifications. I've missed TONS of work emails in the last 2 days now, emails I should have been replying to promptly, because this motherfcking phone is not telling me when I get these emails.

i've had it with this piece of sht. I really need some help here. I can't continue to not receive emails. my gmail is still set (as it has always been) to autosync, sync background data, both accounts under 'manage accounts' are set to sync, etc. i've tried restarting the phone, uninstalling all gmail updates, reinstalling gmail updates, etc.

the only way i can get a notification to show up is if i manually unclick and then reclick the "sync" button under accounts & sync. so it's as if the sync feature on my phone has stopped working correctly and it won't continually sync.

Sounds like you need to revert back to Froyo:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...sprint-zvd-froyo-downgrade-now-available.html

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree downgrade to froyo or root and try a new rom like gROM or OptiROM.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I agree downgrade to froyo or root and try a new rom like gROM or OptiROM.

I am using gROM and I do not get gmail notifications as reliably as with stock Froyo or any Froyo ROM. This doesn't bother me much so I'd rather have GB and deal with it, but if getting reliable gmail notifications is the most important thing for this person, downgrading back to Froyo is the best option in my opinion.

Last edited:

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: why the heck am I not receiving gmail notifications now

All of this is occurring AFTER going back to froyo... I've been back on froyo for a week and a half now. 6 days after reverting back to froyo all of this crap started.

Any other ideas?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
All of this is occurring AFTER going back to froyo... I've been back on froyo for a week and a half now. 6 days after reverting back to froyo all of this crap started.

Any other ideas?

I reverted back too, though running kravens cm7 rom the zvd radio. I also am having this issue. I wonder if it a network issue or some kind of left over junk file not removed in the rollback. I am missing notifications from google voice.

I am flashing back to stock to see if updating profile and prl helps.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Any other ideas?
I don't know what the real cause is, but if it was working ok, then all of a sudden it stopped working, it could be the phone side or it could be google side. It would probably be better to go in with an open mind and look at all possibilities.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I don't know what the real cause is, but if it was working ok, then all of a sudden it stopped working, it could be the phone side or it could be google side. It would probably be better to go in with an open mind and look at all possibilities.

Yeah I'm open to either, but I really think it is phone side.

The night that I made my original post, I was testing it continually (sending emails from a non-gmail account to my gmail account). After one instance of turning sync off then on again, notifications worked correctly for about 10 minutes but then after that 10 minutes or so, I stopped receiving them again. I haven't been able to duplicate this result though. It seems to have been an isolated "10 minutes of working as intended" and then back to not working again.

If no one else seems to be having the problem, again that points to an issue with my phone (I assume a software issue of some sort, not hardware). I might have to go and do a factory reset again. If so I guess I might as well root it since I've been mulling over rooting for some time now.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I'm open to either, but I really think it is phone side.

The night that I made my original post, I was testing it continually (sending emails from a non-gmail account to my gmail account). After one instance of turning sync off then on again, notifications worked correctly for about 10 minutes but then after that 10 minutes or so, I stopped receiving them again. I haven't been able to duplicate this result though. It seems to have been an isolated "10 minutes of working as intended" and then back to not working again.

If no one else seems to be having the problem, again that points to an issue with my phone (I assume a software issue of some sort, not hardware). I might have to go and do a factory reset again. If so I guess I might as well root it since I've been mulling over rooting for some time now.

According the thekraven, the dev of the cm7 rom I use, my issue is related to google voice. Perhaps it is an issue with google apps in general.

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: why the heck am I not receiving gmail notifications now on FR

I was having troubl with gps on for a long time on Reborn and on drews cm7 after installing Drews cm. Restoring old Nands would not help or formating all and reinstalls, Finally tried Kravens cm7 and it works great now. :cool:

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

well, another update.

it SEEMS that gmail notifications are working again. I got a few notifications today and just tested it once on my own and it seems to be up and running. so that's good. the crappy thing is that my confidence in this phone is now shaken, so I'm going to have to check my email every half hour manually just to make sure I'm getting everything before I can fully believe that this phone will reliably notify me of work emails again.

Ahmado78

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

I wanted to ask are you a google apps user? Do you log in with a company e-mail or with a gmail.com email? Are you rooted/flashed or are you stock? I'm trying to narrow this problem down.

I'm having the same problem. Rooted, problem started with Sinister Rom, still ongoing problem with CM7.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I wanted to ask are you a google apps user? Do you log in with a company e-mail or with a gmail.com email? Are you rooted/flashed or are you stock? I'm trying to narrow this problem down.

I'm having the same problem. Rooted, problem started with Sinister Rom, still ongoing problem with CM7.

not sure what you mean by google apps user. i have both a company email that is through gmail (with its own domain name like neal @xyzcompany.com), and a personal one like neal @ gmail.com and this problem was present with both accounts. i am stock as stated in the original post.

problem seems to have resolved itself now though. it was an issue for a few days but has now gone away apparently.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

problem seems to have resolved itself now though. it was an issue for a few days but has now gone away apparently.
If you haven't done anything that would cause a change, that points to an issue or resolution on Google server side.

Treo_Robb

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I've been experiencing issues with gmail for the past couple of days as well and am pretty sure that it's an issue on their end because nothing has changed on mine. My notifications are working, but things aren't syncing correctly. For example, when I delete an email on my phone, it's not going out and deleting it on the server. And when I delete an email on the server, it's not removing the notification from my phone like it normally does... stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it's them and hopefully things get fixed soon.. Just hang in there. I don't think it's your phone!

G2k

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I just wanted to respond to this thread since I am having the same trouble.

I am running gROM 2.2 (Gingerbread).

It worked fine for about a week now it does'nt update unless I manually tell it to.

My other phone, an Htc EVO, updates all the time just fine.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

vapore0n

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

I posted my findings on the g-rom thread.
There seems to be a powersaver feature that is delaying push email. Test messages work good, but gmail push works if you recently used the phone, or about once an hour.

For example, in the morning after I check my phone at 6am, I get gmail notifications of emails from 5am and further, like 1am.
During the day I seem to be getting emails from up to the minute, to a hr delay.

This all may be related to the bug where if wifi is enabled, but not set to be on while the phone locked (sleep mode), 3g would not enable. This causes you to miss all updates while wifi is on, but not on.

Given google's lack of updates to system bugs, I wouldnt expect anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2