Stable ROM suggestions! Please!

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys, a friend of mine has an LG Optimus S and he is not in to rooting or customization WHATSOEVER! But his phone won't boot past the android logo. SO, I thought this would be a great opportunity to put a stable custom ROM on his phone. So if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: mangust and dcraig

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Be sure to use the Xionia custom recovery and do NOT use ROM Manager with this device.

Any clue what baseband he has? Kinda important here.
If ZVD, then Reborn ROM or sROM.

If ZVH, then Your-MOM-ROM or gROM.

Also, I haven't played with it, but doesn't the stock ROM have an option to do a factory reset? That would make the whole experience a little more friendly, I would think.

Ok can you link me to this Xionia recovery and "how-to" maybe? and how do I find out if its a ZVD or ZVH? Also I figure maybe a custom ROM would last longer battery wise and run better compared to the stable ROM.

But I think I can find a way to do a factory reset if needed.

Ok well you already did the links, disregard!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
dcraig, while we're trading tips:

I've got a friend who has an Epic she wants to root to get rid of the bloat, go ext4 and have non-proprietary hotspot capabilities. Of course stability is key on her E05 build. Any suggestions?

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
dcraig, while we're trading tips:

I've got a friend who has an Epic she wants to root to get rid of the bloat, go ext4 and have non-proprietary hotspot capabilities. Of course stability is key on her E05 build. Any suggestions?

Well I actually have an Epic Touch now, But when I had my OG Epic by far the best most stable and battery life ROM was BonsaiRom. This ROM is wonderful! Bonsai Operating System ROM v4.1.3 for the Samsung Epic 4G (Froyo) | Bonsai for Android

Reactions: epidenimus

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been very happy with Reborn ROM. It is very stable and has great battery life. I'm planning on upgrading to Your Mom as soon as Sprint fixes the bugs in the ZVH baseband.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
So would I be able to put YOUR MOM ROM or Reborn ROM on my buddies phone and it run better for him than stock?

If you define snappier, Sprint ID and app-free, with several tweaks and features you wouldn't have on stock as better... then yes!

You could also change out some apps for more efficient ones, depending on how he may use the device. For example, I find QuickPic to be a much quicker and more useful app than the stock Gallery3D.

Only thing that you have to be mindful of is which baseband he has. He would probably be able to tell you if he purchased the device new in the last couple of months or if he had accepted an OTA update to ZVH/Gingerbread. Otherwise, he is probably running ZVD/Froyo.

I'm really curious how he might have locked it up like that with just stock ROM or recovery... I hope he didn't try ROM Manager.

Last edited:

dcraig

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
If you define snappier, Sprint ID and app-free, with several tweaks and features you wouldn't have on stock as better... then yes!

You could also change out some apps for more efficient ones, depending on how he may use the device. For example, I find QuickPic to be a much quicker and more useful app than the stock Gallery3D.

Only thing that you have to be mindful of is which baseband he has. He would probably be able to tell you if he purchased the device new in the last couple of months or if he had accepted an OTA update to ZVH/Gingerbread. Otherwise, he is probably running ZVD/Froyo.

I'm really curious how he might have locked it up like that with just stock ROM or recovery... I hope he didn't try ROM Manager.

Ok well he did a factory reset and it works now. But he's having some SD card issues, so i'm about to root and install a ROM. But I need to make sure it's VERY stable simply because he could care less about rooting etc... But I honestly just want to root it because I like rooting phones lol

Titus37

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I can only vouch for Reborn ROM, but it is definitely more stable than stock. It also has WAY more space available for apps and such. It still has issues from time to time but definitely less often than the stock operating system.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I can only vouch for Reborn ROM, but it is definitely more stable than stock. It also has WAY more space available for apps and such. It still has issues from time to time but definitely less often than the stock operating system.
this. also there are some cool themes for it too--I had the pink and purples ones for a while. I'm still holding out on upgrading to your mom because I'm kind of scared of some of the ZVH issues and if I'm going to take the time to mess around with my phone on my day off, I want it to be for a definite upgrade. plus I love having a GPS on/off on the toggles and the bigger deck that comes with the rom (room for 4 apps to launch, vs. 2). very minor things, but very handy. it's just a great ROM!

natn311

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
been running REBORN ROM for months, its great, i bought juice defender pro, doubled my battery life, with a few tweaks, was actually on here just to see if there have been any updates to cyanogen mod for optimus s and what would need to be done as far as switching from REBORN to CM7, and if i should even bother, i've heard great things about both, but have not used CM7 yet. rock out the reborn for your buddy, it doesnt make much appearance diff but runs stable and strong. these guys know whats up.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I ran Drew's CM7 for about a month and played with an earlier build of thekraven's CM7 as well. CM7's real advantage is it's customization--there are so many settings you can tweak and there are a lot of themes for it. It's definitely worth trying it out if you have time. It is also completely CIQ free (Reborn just needs a quick mod flash) and quite snappy too.

The things that Reborn really has over CM7 are:
  • Handset mic works with headphones/car stereo plugged in
  • EAS bypassed E-mail client by default
  • Overclocked with stable and intelligent governor by default (you'd need to know what you are doing in CM7)
  • Nick7's Roaming control app
  • Hotspot widget
  • Lightweight launcher
  • Navigation and visual voicemail work out of the box (VVM now possible on thekraven's build)
Based on the OP, I would really recommend Reborn for ZVD or Your Mom for ZVH. Always consider your user above what you could make it do if it were yours. ;)

kusanagi-sama

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What happens if you install the last two from ZVD or from Reborn or sROM?
Bad things. Very bad things.

Seriously though, there is a way to do it, but it is more involved and there are guides on how to go from ZVD to ZVH and back on this forum, if you want to try that at some point. ZVD is the current stable release where everything still works; ZVH is newer but Sprint/LG botched it and it has a bunch of bugs.

Here's my crude understanding of radios (i.e. ZVD/ZVH): It's firmware that only the stock recovery can/should manipulate. Installing a new ROM does not effect the radio, but different ROMs are dependent on specific radios to function. If you have a mismatch, a bunch of your apps may not work properly and you will not have a data connection, if it boots. Moral of the fable: Don't mismatch. Only install ROMs that are designed for your radio/baseband.

kusanagi-sama

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Bad things. Very bad things.

Seriously though, there is a way to do it, but it is more involved and there are guides on how to go from ZVD to ZVH and back on this forum, if you want to try that at some point. ZVD is the current stable release where everything still works; ZVH is newer but Sprint/LG botched it and it has a bunch of bugs.

Here's my crude understanding of radios (i.e. ZVD/ZVH): It's firmware that only the stock recovery can/should manipulate. Installing a new ROM does not effect the radio, but different ROMs are dependent on specific radios to function. If you have a mismatch, a bunch of your apps may not work properly and you will not have a data connection, if it boots. Moral of the fable: Don't mismatch. Only install ROMs that are designed for your radio/baseband.

Only thing that happens is that none of the radios work. I even tried installing the Sprint ZVH before trying those two, and the radios didn't work. BTW, trying to ##786# the phone didn't work. It couldn't read the SPC code (and it would force close if I tried to see the info). So, I flash back to the ZVD stock, re-root, and then flash back to Kraven CM7, because I like it better. All these ROMs are just based off the stock ROMs.

aaronrw

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Only thing that happens is that none of the radios work. I even tried installing the Sprint ZVH before trying those two, and the radios didn't work. BTW, trying to ##786# the phone didn't work. It couldn't read the SPC code (and it would force close if I tried to see the info). So, I flash back to the ZVD stock, re-root, and then flash back to Kraven CM7, because I like it better. All these ROMs are just based off the stock ROMs.

Yeah cm7 is cool but the "stock" Roms seem more Android and Google like to me. Cm7 was just too manipulated for my taste. And running YourMom and the v08 kernel I have none of the reported zvh issues.:D