So many problems, mainly streaming/playback and freezes

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Haven't managed to root yet; I'm still trying to get my Android SDK together. I've installed the basic software but every time I fire it up it wants to do download and install additional modules, and this process seems to be interminable. I'm beginning to suspect that my Java SDK version is incorrect.

You don't even need to mess with Android SDK anymore (unless you really want to).
The devs did an amazing job with the one click root utilities for this phone. It's as foolproof as possible.
Gingersnap works great. Super easy and very quick. Only takes a few minutes.

Gingersnap root utility for ZVD
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ot-utility-one-click-root-multi-platform.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Penguin

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
You don't even need to mess with Android SDK anymore (unless you really want to).
The devs did an amazing job with the one click root utilities for this phone. It's as foolproof as possible.
Gingersnap works great. Super easy and very quick. Only takes a few minutes.

Gingersnap root utility for ZVD
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ot-utility-one-click-root-multi-platform.html

If Gingersnap works for ZVD then I'm good to go for now. Eventually, though, I do need to learn everything I can about about the SDK, because that's where so much of the market is heading.

hlxanthus, I did try iHeartRadio but it didn't work that great; I forget what the exact issue was. It's probably worth my while to try it after I root.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The one-clicks are super convenient, but get a working ADB. If you are going to tweak your device, it is a tool you will want in your kit and I find it is better to set it up while everything is just fine. It's your choice whether or not to explore all the wonderful things the SDK can do, but you really should get a working ADB. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
hlxanthus, I did try iHeartRadio but it didn't work that great; I forget what the exact issue was. It's probably worth my while to try it after I root.

Now I remember: iHeartRadio doesn't have a lot of the stations I want.

ETA: Two words: Clear Channel. I just learned yesterday that iHeartRadio is owned by Clear Channel Communications, which probably explains why it doesn't do you much good if you're not into classic rock, oldies, top 40, or AM talk.

ETA (2012/04/04): In the spirit of fairness, it behooves me to make a partial retraction. While iHeartRadio is presumably still owned by Clear Channel Communications, and therefore geared towards its commercial assets, they did recently start carrying my local NPR outlet! After using their stream occasionally over the past couple of days I'm pleased to say that there is far less buffering than there is with TuneIn, or with my local outlet's own app.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I was a frequent TuneIn Radio user until a recent update that added ads, disabled a bunch of the stations, and basically made it more lame than I deemed it worth. It always had connectivity issues for me. It was just the best thing for streaming that I had found, but I didn't love it. Have you considered that it may simply be the app?

Also, upgrading the SD card is a great idea. It sounds like you're really into broadcasts and music. You will appreciate the extra storage space, the ability to use a better quality encoder for your media, and can relax knowing your data is in a better container. Patriot. That's all I'm gonna say. Also, if you root and tinker, you will appreciate having some more storage space for a few nandroid backups; just one of those can take around 300MB!

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I was a frequent TuneIn Radio user until a recent update that added ads, disabled a bunch of the stations, and basically made it more lame than I deemed it worth. It always had connectivity issues for me. It was just the best thing for streaming that I had found, but I didn't love it. Have you considered that it may simply be the app?
My first guess was that it's the app, because that largely accounts for the fact that streaming works so much better on my Windows device. OTOH, if nearly everyone had a legion of problems with the botched GB rollout, then presumably that has a little to do with it. At least, that's what I thought, but since I completed the rollback I haven't noticed much improvement.

Also, upgrading the SD card is a great idea. It sounds like you're really into broadcasts and music. You will appreciate the extra storage space, the ability to use a better quality encoder for your media, and can relax knowing your data is in a better container.
I'm not grokking you. You mean my 16Gb card isn't enough to hold my music collection plus a smaller quantity of podcasts that I tend to swap in and out, and to support streaming? My HTC's SD card is only 4G and that's almost filled. I could go up one more notch, to a 32Gb card, but I don't see how that's going to fix this.

Patriot. That's all I'm gonna say. Also, if you root and tinker, you will appreciate having some more storage space for a few nandroid backups; just one of those can take around 300MB!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not grokking you. You mean my 16Gb card isn't enough to hold my music collection plus a smaller quantity of podcasts that I tend to swap in and out, and to support streaming? My HTC's SD card is only 4G and that's almost filled. I could go up one more notch, to a 32Gb card, but I don't see how that's going to fix this.
haha.. I suppose I inferred from the situation and some of the posts that you were still using the lame-o stock card that came with the Optimus S. 2GB is not much at all if you start pulling media and doing backups, that's all I was getting at.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
haha.. I suppose I inferred from the situation and some of the posts that you were still using the lame-o stock card that came with the Optimus S. 2GB is not much at all if you start pulling media and doing backups, that's all I was getting at.

No worries, I can see how you might have inferred that.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Now that I've had a chance to use the phone I can say that its performance after the version downgrade and root has improved greatly. And I haven't really "used" the rooted condition that much except to install a couple of maintenance/cleanup aps that require root access for full functionality. I also upgraded to TuneIn Radio Pro, which may also have helped.

So thanks again to everyone!

Frogger420

May 12, 2011
Visit site
To be honest.. From what I've seen so far Froyo is the best, and most functional that I've used so far. Reborn rom was great. I had a few problems, but gingerbread is total crap! The zvj sucks as well so far. I'm not happy!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy