are there any free tethering options anymore?

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I remember back a while ago there was a way to tether for free but they patched that out I think. Are there any other ways to tether for free anymore (wireless or wired, doesn't matter to me)? I am willing to root, do a custom rom, whatever (within reason) at this point since the hotel I will be in for the foreseeable future has absolutely atrocious internet speed.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
There are methods, but root and custom roms are needed. The right rom for you will depend on what baseband you are on. Look under settings>about phone and look for baseband. Look for either zvd or zvh basebands then we can point out which rooting methods to point out.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1011820

That is a thread for a utility that will root and install xionia recovery. There is a little bit of groundwork you need to do before you can use it.

You will have to go here for .net framework links and c+ stuff. The above utility uses drews gingersnap root utility to work, and it needs these to operate.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ot-utility-one-click-root-multi-platform.html

Also view the xionia thread to understand how that work and such. Then good roms for zvd are rebornRom for uber tweaked 2.2 froyo and thekravens cm7 for cyanogenmod 2.3 goodness (cm7 is my favorite, but everyone has their preferences).

Once you set that all up, reborn has an app for tethering, and cm7 has it built in via the settings menu. If any of those dont work properly, try open garden from the market.

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are doing this for improved internet speed for a laptop, you may be disappointed. I use it in a pinch for downloading a file or something, but you can just forget standard browsing like you might expect on a broadband connection. I'd recommend that you use mobile sites on your laptop, using User Agent Switcher set to iPhone if need be.

Dennola4

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm also on ZVD. Before I rooted and started using the (functional) hotspot widget on RebornROM, I used Azilink to tether (by usb). It works great and I still keep it around as a back up.

Setting it up wasn't exactly one-click, but the instructions are straightforward.

GreenGekko

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I use East Tether Pro because I connect to https sites. You can try the lite version for free. Unlimited trial for the lite version. I found the pro version on Amazon for $5.00.

This is a usb tether option and works fine.

dendrax

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Once you root your phone, you should be able to use the free wifi tether app, you shouldn't need a custom ROM if you don't want. Though for what it's worth, I found my phone to be much faster on YOUR-MOM-ROM than stock. Hope this helps.

bltpyro

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm on ZVD. FoxFi works well for wireless tethering without root. It is free too. It also has a BT option but haven't tried that one.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
where did you download foxfi from? i don't see it on the market, and when i tried to DL it from two other sites (google play and androidzoom) it one said it couldn't find it and the other said it was not available for my provider (not sure what the hell my service provider has to do with anything, but that's what it said).

bltpyro

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I couldn't find it either. If you Google it though you can pull it up in the store. And there is a message saying Sprint removed it from the market. You can still install it, just can't search for it within the market. It says you can download it from foxfi.com

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If you are doing this for improved internet speed for a laptop, you may be disappointed. I use it in a pinch for downloading a file or something, but you can just forget standard browsing like you might expect on a broadband connection. I'd recommend that you use mobile sites on your laptop, using User Agent Switcher set to iPhone if need be.

On the other hand, IME tethering over the 3G network does seem to perform as well as typical public hotspots, such as you might find at a Starbucks. When I'd first gotten the phone I did use tethering a couple of times when I was at a Starbucks or wherever, and their wifi was out of commission for some reason. I ceased and desisted when my carrier told me I wasn't allowed to do it (I had broached the matter by asking them).

I do wish there could be an exception for times like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49