Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By basketthis
  • 1 Post By tlrsax54
  • 1 Post By epidenimus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    HydroROM v1.1.0 ZVJ

Default Sprint orders all OEMs to strip Carrier IQ from their hardware

Looks like we might be getting some firmware w/o CarrierIQ at some point, unless Sprint has forgotten about us

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    DECKS ICS -MASON KERNEL

Default Re: Sprint orders all OEMs to strip Carrier IQ from their hardwar

wonder if it will be part of the update thats supposed to be realsed in the next month or two (told to by a few sprint techs the an update supposed to be pushed within a few months to officially fix the GB ota update issues instead of having to use the revert zip)
    enjoying my ics evo4g

ROM
    stock ics

Talking Re: Sprint orders all OEMs to strip Carrier IQ from their hardwar

that would be cool in the article it says a devise has already had an update with out CIQ in it so there may be hope afterall for our GB update my replacement device has never seen GB so a bug free one will be awesome

Yeah, Epic 4G Touch got it a few days ago. Lots of people been playing with it. It almost feels like with the tight release mandate, they leaked it on purpose to get some beta testing done.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo

ROM
    Reborn & Quattrimus

Quote Originally Posted by docgoat1987 View Post
    that would be cool in the article it says a devise has already had an update with out CIQ in it so there may be hope after all for our GB update my replacement device has never seen GB so a bug free one will be awesome
    Being in the tech industry for a long time, I can see several things happening. Unfortunately, this will likely delay a bug free GB for the Optimus S (an "enhancement" to what is a nearly obsolete product in Sprint/LG's view).

If the customer (Sprint) is telling their developers (LG) that their top priority is to eliminate Carrier IQ from all of their devices, and do it a quickly as possible (and the developers are having their holiday vacations impacted), what is more likely to happen is a new revision, based on ZVD, will be developed first.

Unknown is, will it be pushed to all Optimus S users (ZVD and ZVH), or to those currently with ZVD.

If Sprint is looking to be 100% CIQ free, they may "downgrade" those who have already have the ZVH update. Or they may say that the option is there, for those who wish, to move to the CIQ free revision if they chose to opt out of having CIQ on their phone.

Either way, no one will be looking at moving the bug fix for GB forward until the CIQ issue is completed, which may make it sometime after never before we see it.

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP!!!

The best thing that sprint/LG can do for this phone is not as great as what the devs here do. Its sad, but its a fact. Props to all you guys!
    "Th- th- thinking of a master plan"
    aaronrw likes this.
    Banned

nahaha nice

ROM
    stock ics

well i mean since its taking them so long to devolop a gb fix why cant they while they are working on the fix throw in the ciq removal while there at it it makes more sense to do that then to release something zvd based without ciq i mean " if " they are developing a fix for the gb update since there still in the developing process they should be able to throw in the removed ciq in there to i mean yeah send out a zvd based without ciq for testing see if that for there stock rom causes any bugs and then once there done with gb push that out

ROM
    Stock

well i mean since its taking them so long to devolop a gb fix why cant they while they are working on the fix throw in the ciq removal while there at it it makes more sense to do that then to release something zvd based without ciq i mean " if " they are developing a fix for the gb update since there still in the developing process they should be able to throw in the removed ciq in there to i mean yeah send out a zvd based without ciq for testing see if that for there stock rom causes any bugs and then once there done with gb push that out
    That is the longest sentence I've ever read in my life...lol!
    On3wheels likes this.

ROM
    Reborn & Quattrimus

well i mean since its taking them so long to devolop a gb fix why cant they while they are working on the fix throw in the ciq removal
    You answered your own question - because it is taking them so long.

From what I've read, removing CIQ is not as simple as deleting a few files and editing a line in a prop.build file. CIQ seems to be woven into a number of places of a ROM. (Like a cancer?) The LG developers need to remove it and make sure it doesn't screw anything up. (Disabling it is not enough, as people will still b!tch and moan if they find any trace of CIQ still on their phone, and the bad press will continue).

My guess? Fixing GB *and* removing CIQ will take longer than just removing CIQ from the Froyo release. Sprint is telling their vendors to do this a quick as possible, and there is more than just the Optimus S to do it for. I still see a Sprint OTA of a non-CIQ Froyo as the next release.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    GingerRom and Hydrokernal

Does anyone have an estimated date of this release? If your phone is rooted, will you have to re-root?

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by LACAGuy View Post
    Does anyone have an estimated date of this release? If your phone is rooted, will you have to re-root?
    1. No
    2. Yes

To clarify on 2, I can 99% guarantee that the current method of rooting will not be applicable to the next update, whenever that may be. So DO NOT ACCEPT ANY UPDATE until a rooting method has been found.

ROM
    Depends on my mood

Quote Originally Posted by basketthis View Post
    The best thing that sprint/LG can do for this phone is not as great as what the devs here do. Its sad, but its a fact. Props to all you guys!
    Totally seems backwards that our Devs (yes you belong to us...hahahahha) do it on the side as a hobby and manage to create more robust and full functioning ROMs and software than people who are paid to spend all day doing it. Hears my spacy cosmic stone Issac Asimov conceptualization. Now Ive worked in the fab, manufacturing at intel for just over 6 years, when you have 18 of the exact same machine, put together by the same team with the same parts within days of each other, you would expect them to all operate the same. Not true, ive experiencing some wierd "ghost in the machine" type anomalies that have lead me to believe that they have personalities (not to be confused with intelligence) and not just differences in the way they operate from each other. Differences and similarities in the way they operate from hour to hour. So, even though its called a "programming language" its easy to forget that it really is a language, one all its own. And programming is like poerty or songwriting for machines....an art form. And the best way to ruin an artist's creativity........make his art his work and pay him for it....(theres a psychologist from the 80s that taught chimps to paint, why he started giving them food to paint they started only doing the minimum required to get the food) ....wow this got drawn out, lots of down time when you babysit robots)

PS Do our custom roms still have CIQ (the non-sprint base ones at least)? and i seem to recall reading for one of the ROMs...maybe Scott P or athenos, that the OTA was disabled. Anyone know anything bout that?
    Last edited by On3wheels; 12-21-2011 at 02:55 AM.
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Quote Originally Posted by On3wheels View Post
    Totally seems backwards that our Devs (yes you belong to us...hahahahha) do it on the side as a hobby and manage to create more robust and full functioning ROMs and software than people who are paid to spend all day doing it.
    And that is why it is difficult for many folks to wrap their heads around the idea of open source software.

And then there is the fear that some rogue not-closed-source developer will put some snooping spyware bit in their application or OS for his own profit. But just look who incorporated CIQ into their ROM. And now who exposed it...?

To a "hobbyist," bugs are a nuisance that make the work or him/her look bad; to a contracted developer, bugs are often job security.
    Thanked by:
    aaronrw likes this.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Given that Sprint never even released a fixed version of the Gingerbread update, you can bet that releasing a new CiQ-free firmware update for older phones is very low on their priority list.