Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By On3wheels
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Depends on my mood

Post Analysis of Qualcomm 7627 series processors (thats ours)

Originally Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM
    By: Administrator
    Group:Administrators
    Link: Analysis of Qualcomm MSM7x27 (MSM7227 MSM7627) and MSM7x25 (MSM7225 MSM7625) processors - how good are they? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum

[HL]Ok, I think that clears me of plagarism, I didnt write this...its too good.I seem to recall some forums having an issue with postings from other forums or outside links or something like that...anywho, hope im not breaking any rules. Found this info about our phone and its hardware and thought some of yall might find it as interesting as I did.
    [/HL]

Recently, many phones that feature MSM7x27 or MSM7x25 processors have been released to the market. They are often marketed as low-end, featuring "only" 600MHz (for MSM7x27) or 528MHz (MSM7x25). Sounds pretty pathetic, right?

Not really.

If you only look at their clock speeds, 600/528MHz doesn't sound impressive. In fact, thats hardly an improvement over notoriously slow MSM7200 series processors used by HTC G1, Magic and Hero.

But there are some key differences:

Unlike MSM7200 series processors, MSM7x27/MSM7x25 are built for smartphones. The processor unit contains a floating point unit, a 400MHz modem processor, a 320MHz application DSP, and a real dedicated GPU to perform 3D accelerations and video encoding/decoding. Does it sound just like Qualcomm's high end Snapdragon processors?

You bet.

Lets look at some benchmark numbers for the phones that feature MSM7227:

HTC Legend (running Android 2.1): 392
    LG Optimus GT540 (running Android 1.5): 445

(Source: Smartphone Benchmarks - Submit and compare Smartbench 2011,Smartbench 2010 and Quadrant benchmark results )

And the following are the phones that use the outdated MSM7200 series processors:

HTC G1 (running Android 1.5): 181
    HTC Magic (running Android 1.5): 200
    HTC Hero (running Android 1.5): 201
    HTC Droid Eris (running Android 2.1): 211

(Source: Smartphone Benchmarks - Submit and compare Smartbench 2011,Smartbench 2010 and Quadrant benchmark results )

As you can see, MSM7227 series phones are significantly faster! Why is that?

Lets look at what Quadrant benchmark measures:

CPU
    Memory
    I/O
    2D graphics
    3D graphics

Quadrant benchmark application measures the overall performance of your phone. Given that the CPU component hardly received any improvement over MSM7200 series, it is natural to conclude that other areas received significant improvements. One area in particular, is the GPU. MSM7227 features a dedicated GPU called, Adreno 200. This is the SAME GPU that is found in the first generation Snapdragon processors!

Now lets look at the high-performing first generation Snapdragon based phones:

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (running Android 1.6): 465
    Dell Streak (running Android 1.6): 469
    Nexus One (running Android 2.1): 507
    HTC EVO (running Android 2.1): 510
    HTC Desire (running Android 2.1): 510
    HTC Droid Incredible (running Android 2.1): 574

As you can see, although they are faster than MSM7227 phones, not that much faster!

And then there's the screen resolution. Typical Snapdragon phones use 800x480 screen resolution, while most of the MSM7227 phones use 320x480. That's less than half the amount of pixels MSM7227 has to process through. The result? Surprisingly snappy performance out of "lowly" 528MHz/600MHz processor!

There are still some open questions. Snapdragon processors received huge boost in speed when they switched to Android 2.2 (i.e. JIT). Will MSM7227 be able to perform with similar margin of improvements despite featuring somewhat slow (i.e. same as MSM7200 series) CPU core? We will find out soon when we start to receive results for MSM7227 phones with Froyo.

Some current/future phones to use MSM7227 include the following:

LG Optmimus GT540
    HTC Legend
    Motorola Citrus
    LG Optimus One series (inc. Optimus S and T)
    Thanked by 2:
    whypayforit likes this.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Default Re: Analysis of Qualcomm 7627 series processors (thats ours)

That was an interesting read. Thanks for digging this up!

Quote Originally Posted by On3wheels View Post
    Originally Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:51 PM
    By: Administrator
    Group:Administrators
    Link: Analysis of Qualcomm MSM7x27 (MSM7227 MSM7627) and MSM7x25 (MSM7225 MSM7625) processors - how good are they? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum

[HL]Ok, I think that clears me of plagarism, I didnt write this...its too good.I seem to recall some forums having an issue with postings from other forums or outside links or something like that...anywho, hope im not breaking any rules. Found this info about our phone and its hardware and thought some of yall might find it as interesting as I did.
    [/HL]

Recently, many phones that feature MSM7x27 or MSM7x25 processors have been released to the market. They are often marketed as low-end, featuring "only" 600MHz (for MSM7x27) or 528MHz (MSM7x25). Sounds pretty pathetic, right?

Not really.

If you only look at their clock speeds, 600/528MHz doesn't sound impressive. In fact, thats hardly an improvement over notoriously slow MSM7200 series processors used by HTC G1, Magic and Hero.

But there are some key differences:

Unlike MSM7200 series processors, MSM7x27/MSM7x25 are built for smartphones. The processor unit contains a floating point unit, a 400MHz modem processor, a 320MHz application DSP, and a real dedicated GPU to perform 3D accelerations and video encoding/decoding. Does it sound just like Qualcomm's high end Snapdragon processors?

You bet.

Lets look at some benchmark numbers for the phones that feature MSM7227:

HTC Legend (running Android 2.1): 392
    LG Optimus GT540 (running Android 1.5): 445

And the following are the phones that use the outdated MSM7200 series processors:

HTC G1 (running Android 1.5): 181
    HTC Magic (running Android 1.5): 200
    HTC Hero (running Android 1.5): 201
    HTC Droid Eris (running Android 2.1): 211

As you can see, MSM7227 series phones are significantly faster! Why is that?

Lets look at what Quadrant benchmark measures:

CPU
    Memory
    I/O
    2D graphics
    3D graphics

Quadrant benchmark application measures the overall performance of your phone. Given that the CPU component hardly received any improvement over MSM7200 series, it is natural to conclude that other areas received significant improvements. One area in particular, is the GPU. MSM7227 features a dedicated GPU called, Adreno 200. This is the SAME GPU that is found in the first generation Snapdragon processors!

Now lets look at the high-performing first generation Snapdragon based phones:

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (running Android 1.6): 465
    Dell Streak (running Android 1.6): 469
    Nexus One (running Android 2.1): 507
    HTC EVO (running Android 2.1): 510
    HTC Desire (running Android 2.1): 510
    HTC Droid Incredible (running Android 2.1): 574

As you can see, although they are faster than MSM7227 phones, not that much faster!

And then there's the screen resolution. Typical Snapdragon phones use 800x480 screen resolution, while most of the MSM7227 phones use 320x480. That's less than half the amount of pixels MSM7227 has to process through. The result? Surprisingly snappy performance out of "lowly" 528MHz/600MHz processor!

There are still some open questions. Snapdragon processors received huge boost in speed when they switched to Android 2.2 (i.e. JIT). Will MSM7227 be able to perform with similar margin of improvements despite featuring somewhat slow (i.e. same as MSM7200 series) CPU core? We will find out soon when we start to receive results for MSM7227 phones with Froyo.

Some current/future phones to use MSM7227 include the following:

LG Optmimus GT540
    HTC Legend
    Motorola Citrus
    LG Optimus One series (inc. Optimus S and T)
    Well well. The optimus strikes yet again. Good find thanks for sharing

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

ROM
    ColdROM v2.0

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk