Rooted Optimus - No Service Issue

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I am posting this thread as an absolute last resort, as I am completely embarrassed and very stubborn....

I rooted my LG Optimus S (Sprint - LS670ZVH) about a week ago. My main purpose for the root was to install wireless tether and move some apps over to the sd card since the internal memory is terrible. I have rooted many phones prior, so this was not difficult, and the root was successful.

After I rooted my phone, I decided to install Titanium Backup Pro on the phone. This was my first experience with the app. In the process of moving apps over, I believe I moved over an app that should not have been moved. As many of you know, the dialer storage takes up a good amount of internal memory space, so I thought that I would try to move it over to the sd card.

The file in Titanium is labeled Dialer Storage 2.3.3. I clicked on the options and selected to force the system app into a user app. (This is the only way that you can move the file over.) Once this was done, I attempted to move the file over to the sd card. The program froze when I attempted to do this, so I had to do a restart of the phone.

When I restarted the phone, I had a little x over the signal and the phone states "no signal." The first thing I did was check back in Titanium and see what happened to the app. Apparently, because it froze, the app had failed to move over to the sd card, but it was also no longer available on the system. I found it on my backup list and attempted to restore the app. Whenever I try this, it just keeps cycling stating that it is restoring app. I left it like this for 2 hours to see if it would finish. No luck.

Next, I attempted to do a factory reset. Whenever I select the factory reset, the phone just restarts. Nothing changes. I can't even view certain settings at this point such as mobile networks. It just goes blank when I try to. Also, I attempted to make a call (I can see dialer and even dial), but when I hit to call, the dialer app just closes.

Next, I attempted to force the phone into recovery mode using home+power+volume down when booting, but the phone refuses to go into recovery mode. It just flashes the black screen until I let go and then it boots up.

At this point, I was pretty frustrated, so I took a break. Then, I went on the computer and flashed xionia recovery through adb. I was able to flash the recovery on the phone, but the phone still will not let me go into recovery mode.

My last strategy was pretty weak, but I had to at least try. I took my old palm pre and activated it on my line so that it would deactive my optimus. I then attempted to reactivate my optimus (online). I attempted to get into the programming area ##786# but it simply closes the dialer when I go there.

At this point, I am at a loss which is why I have come to this forum. I hate not being able to figure out something on my own, but I hate even more not having a cell phone. Obviously, it was a terrible decision to attempt to move the dialer over. Please post if you have a possible fix. I am open to anything.

thank you and have a great day.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
No need for shame! Your explicit descriptions are very helpful. :)

This is usually where I would tell you to just do a nandroid restore... Never hack about with this kind of thing without a custom recovery and a nandroid tucked away. We all make mistakes and have learned something the hard way. ;)

We need to figure out what state this thing is really in.

Can you still boot into stock Android at this point? If yes, are you still rooted?

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks. I read these posts all the time where people ask for help without really giving any information in order to be helped, so I tried to lay it out as clear as possible.

Yes, it still boots up into stock Android, and it is still rooted. I think the key is all in the missing dialer system file that is causing the phone to have no service and not be able to enter recovery mode, access certain settings, or reset. Otherwise, the phone looks and acts normal. Just not sure how to get it back to where it needs to be.

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up and add...

Since I can not do the manual programming, the phone is not currently activated to my line. Not sure the relevance of that but just wanted to clarify the current status.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so you have used root checker or something to verify that it still works?

Have you tried entering recovery via the ADB command "reboot recovery"? I find that a little more reliable than the key combos. What does it do when you try that?

As far as I am aware, the issue with the dialer and its data should not effect the ability to get into recovery.

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I actually used root checker specifically to verify that the root was active and configured properly.

When I flashed xionia recovery on the phone through adb, I attempted to try the reboot recovery command. The phone acknowledged the command and restarted but skipped right over recovery and went straight into booting up the phone. I tried it a couple of times just to make sure it wasnt working, and it did the same thing each time.

That's the confusing part about this. I can understand how the dialer and/or service would be out of sync, but I cant understand why I wouldn't be able to get into recovery mode or do a factory reset.

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am going to try to revert the software back to V9 from ZVH and see if maybe that restores the system file that I need for the phone to work properly. I was able to launch the LG software update through KP500, so I will know if this works shortly...

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, i would just try flashing a custom rom like yourmomRom and then try reactivating it. Or you could simply restore stock recovery and flash the zvh update.zip. The kp500 method is excessive at this point (and i have zero experience with it ).

aaron333

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have already tried the KP500 method to revert back to V9, and it was a massive failure. My phone is now stuck on the Android screen loop....things just keep getting better and better...

In regards to flashing a custom rom, I don't think this would have worked since I can't force the phone into recovery mode....

In regards to reflashing the custom recovery, since I flashed the recovery after the issue had already happened, I'm not sure this would work either? I would be willing to try, but since my phone is now in another state, I don't think that's an option any longer.

Going to try to do a fastboot recovery tonight unless someone has a better suggestion...

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Should have done a nandroid backup first.

sent from my CM7/Reborn w/ 1 Gb internal storage Optimus S

Always happy to help, hit that thanks button if I did

SprintSux13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this helps, but I bricked my ZVH and had NO Service. I installed gROM and am now back in business. However, I learned that backup lesson the hard way and am now desperately searching for the original SPRINT ROM to get back to original setup. Any ideas where I can find it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2