native debian/ubuntu rom?(no loop)

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Would be cool to just flash Linux with ldxe set up right off the grip and not even have to have android any expert opinions on the idea? I'm thinking a few custom drivers a ARM compatible kernal and some other coolness I'm not sure about other than a few drivers I think we already have everything we need to do this. Any kick ass programmers interested? Alas only if I knew how I would

twtippets

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok I understand that, but all you would have is a small version of a desktop operating system and no phone functionality. So why would you want to do this? What could you do with your phone that you can't now?

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I disagree ubuntu 11.3 natty has 3g cabability already I do belive. port the android phone app and there you go I bet it would strike a blow for the open source community in a good way (imagine playing Vega strke on your phone ) however you are right this new cm 7.2 rom is pretty kick ass but still just for the sake of doing it it would give us even more opting room I know android is better than ios any day but with Linux rom it would close the argument you don't see snow lepord osx coming out for the iPhone anytime soon so idk I could keep justifying the reason but my finger hurts it just would be really cool

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I know my punctuation and grammar suck if I can find a uber programmer to do this I promise to put a period in there somewhere as for real incentive I will make it my job to get them in PC magazine and hence fame and job offers and admiration and my eternal thanks man just thinking about its coolness makes me happy. I know I'm a dork

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
So u mean to tell me all the latest apple comps r running the same thing as a Iphone? apple isn't really my thing so idk. however this dream rom would be multi device compatable just like real Linux it would be like installing Linux on a AMD instead of a Pentium 4(+) think about it most Linux distros come with driver support for a wide variety of hardware our android devices even though there is a wide variety the spectrum of hardware. Is about the same but I'm betting its less (I know its probably close) universal drivers covering major chip and board sets I was thinking Maybe all touch to negate the need for each devices button configuration except maybe power and volume IV been fixing computers for 20+ years now IV always wanted to be a programmer I know basic,Java, c++,c#,COBOL and python.....but my brain doesn't work like that I have given poeple the tools and have shown them how and have made a few decent. Programmers outta teaching them what I know but in the end I'm just envious and bitter because no matter how hard I try .....I suck....but its what I wanna do so I keep trying.....please never say never with our craft we our gods we think and we will it we make it real......just what would take me 10 yrs would take someone better 6 month? I yern for the end result. the fruit of imagination but I admit I need help

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It would be a work of art the same rom could be flashed to our optimus or it could be flashed to a HTC evo 4g the only thing I'm not sure about is it would have to boot from the sdcard so that part leaves me stumped and then what to do with the internal memory? Idk I'm prob just delusional:( dammit drew you made me sad just for once when I jump on the crazy bandwagon I wish someone would ride with me

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok IV pined and I made up mind I'm gonna do it I'm gonna put the Linux system in internal point the rest to SD and the loop method made me think you need at least a min of 50 MB for the main system files at least so use the internal up to 150 for crucial Main files and the rest like lxde and whatever in SD if you Yank and boot without SD your just going to get a command line its so posssble. Custom drivers, a few custom apps now I need to brush up on my Linux bash editing skills the biggest mem hog would be the drivers to have a universal rom it would need mad drivers so I guss I would first need to make a custom kernal with a driver database of at least 10 popular devices includeing our s now the loop method useing Linux installer automatically installs all the drivers we need minus the x11 android interface hence vnc....any ideas on this people I don't want to hear CANT that's the kind of attitude that keeps people from getting laid. ...
..(thanks drew you gave me the motivation I need I'm done sucking im going to get off my ass and do it and if I can't ill find someone that will.....someones gotta hold the gun :)) so
1.custom video driver adreno 200
2.extract kernel from .loop Install combine with #1
3.learn how to do 1 & 2

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Can I backwards engineer the android driver for x11? Then use that in the kernel I'm so gonna figure this out (plus I'm sick of hearing r s is tiny so I'm gonna build it a sports car to compensate) :)

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Everyone IDEAS!!!

Why not port Linux apps to run on Android? Or maybe create a Linux emulator that runs Linux apps on Android? I'm no dev but something like that sounds like less hard work, and it sounds pretty possible. But back to the original topic.. if you can do this, I'd gladly donate once I see some results :)

Sent from my LG-VM701 Gelato 11-28 via Tapatalk

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I know that Zefie had Debian running on his LS670 after the screen was ruined; there's a Youtube video of that somewhere. I just don't know practical a full on desktop environment is on this device.

If you are thinking about doing a dual boot scenario for this, you will probably want to use a device with more internal memory. I've always thought that would be cool. Why not pick one and port the Team Hydro bootloader to it. That would be a good start for this and some other project ideas as well.

rnwilsoniii

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
....any ideas on this people I don't want to hear CANT that's the kind of attitude that keeps people from getting laid. ...
..(thanks drew you gave me the motivation I need I'm done sucking im going to get off my ass and do it and if I can't ill find someone that will.....someones gotta hold the gun :)) so
1.custom video driver adreno 200
2.extract kernel from .loop Install combine with #1
3.learn how to do 1 & 2

You've got me paying attention... I've been researching how to do this for a while now, although I will want a dual-boot set-up,,, I'm glad that you're done sucking, because I still suck... I'm a hardware guy, so I'm a TOTAL noob when it comes to programming -- BUT I don't think I will be for long with the amount of reading & research I've been doing... Don't let the haters get ya down! If Canonical can do it, we can too -- hopefully first!

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm half tempted to try on my new phone... 16g internal, 24gb sd... I have the room... ;)

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys I'm stuck I have no computer I want to do this bad but no pc basically the biggest hump is obtaining the kernel from linux installer download then wonder if we can't backwards engineer x-11 from the market get rid of the vnc backend and incorporate native driver but please remember I don't really know what I'm talking about but does anyone have any exp with makeing kernels? I belive if we make the kernel the rest wouldn't be hard if anyone does this first ill worship you. can I do it on my S .everyone says it wouldn't be worth it on the s but you know you can install linux on everything from 386 up to the newset multi core and then some yeah its slower but still cool if I do it I wouldt want any donations ....it just wouldn't be right.... being linux and all