Use Phone with No Cell Phone Plan?

purplock

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an LG Optimus S LS670 phone that was regifted to me. It has no phone plan.

Here's the deal. I don't want to get a cell phone plan. I would like to use something like Groove IP, and make and receive all calls through personal wifi connections and hotspots. I would like a personal phone number. (This phone has a phone number indicated in the phone settings, but I tried calling it and it doesn't work.) I tend to use the same three wireless signals, in New York City, and I am not that concerned about using the phone on-the-go.

How best to go about this? Would Groove IP be my best bet?

Specs:

Android Version: 2.2.2
Build Number: ZVD.41B2924E
Network: Unknown
Service State: In Service
Mobile Network State: Disconnected
Mobile Network Type: CDMA - EvDo rev. A

On a related note:

I keep thinking about Walter Hill's Streets of Fire since getting my LG Optimus S LS670 smartphone. I've had cell phones before, but always $10 pay-as-you-go phones from Duane Reade.

Streets of Fire keeps popping into my head. Have no idea why, but it keeps happening.

Maybe some keywords are setting it off. I have noticed that the movie pops into my head more often when I'm browsing Android Central. Maybe the forum uses graphics that are setting off the association.

lolinternet

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Textfree gives you a personal number and works pretty well, but it will get super laggy if you don't clean out old texts for a while. I don't think I had any problems until it got up to around 500 texts. If you delete old texts it'll work flawlessly.

Not sure about calling, though. I always ran into problems trying to use voip apps.

I think there is a thread here somewhere with instructions for flashing to a pay as you go carrier, but I could be wrong. It's worth looking into in any case.

Reactions: purplock

dawsonshi

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm deployed to Kuwait and using my Optimus on WiFi only. I have tried both Google Voice and TextPlus and TextPlus sound quality on VoIP has been much better that Google Voice. Text messaging has worked better on TexPlus with less bugs too. The only way Google Voice will work over WiFi is if you have GrooveIP installed. Google Voice is free and GroooveIP cost $4.99 one time fee. TextPlus can cost as little as $19.99 for 1,500 pay as you go minutes.

Reactions: purplock

rocker22dallas

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Just be sure to manually uncheck 3g in settings (settings>networks>3g) otherwise every minute or so you will get a message saying it has a wrong username and password. I had this with one of my 2 old optimus phones before I got my e4gt and gave it to my brother who activated it.

Sent from my Galaxy S II epic 4g touch. 4.0.3 FC05 ICS

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
there is a better way i have a phone that was given to me with a bad esn... so i cant get a plan without paying the past due amount of 1200 bucks... what i did was get Groove IP for a Dialer. install it on the phone and set it as the native dialer, so that the phone bypass the stock dialer and used groove IP instead.. Next make a google voice account, now to make a google voice account you have to have a phone number to put in during the resgistation process that WORKS. It has to WORK because google is going to either call or text it with a verification code that you have to enter back in, however its not a big deal i just got a friend to let me use his number to confirm everything, the next catch is when your setting up your google account you get to choose your phone number however when someone calls that number it will make the phone number you confirmed with ring. so in the google voice settings you have to basically go into the call forwarding part and set google voice not to call forward. once that is done when your google voice number is dialed it wont make the other number ring. now go to the market and donwload google voice for android. Set everything up there with your account and sync and everything. allso make sure the phone knows to use google voice and groove IP as default and not the stock stuff. and there you are you now have a unique phone number that rings your android device when connected to WIFI you can call out as well. too text go to your app drawer, and find the voice icon on mine it looks like a talk bubble with a phone inside, tap that and inside you will see missed calls text messages as well as voice mail, you can allso reply or compose a new text from in here. if set up correctly you should be able to use the phone as normal meaning you can dial with the normal stock dialer now an when you press talk it will auto transfer to the groove IP dialer for you :eek:) you can allso just tap on any contact and it will call by auto switching to the groove IP dialer long press and click send text a prompt will pop up asking what to use to send text select voice to use Google voice to text that away. I know this isn't a very good guide sorry for that.... However if anyone is interested in this and needs a more detailed guide reply in this thread and let me know, private message me, or catch me on yahoo messenger at Ernieballesp06.... I'd be glad to help!!! I can write a more step by step guide with pictures and links when i have more time if there is enough interest in this for it to be worth my time :)

oldflyer

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the above ideas work for more pure "phone" use. Skype works pretty well for me. I also use wi-fi only, no cell service. I set my phone to airplane mode mostly-saves the battery. Every once in a while, I turn airplane mode off and let the phone connect to the local Sprint service to update the clock, especially when I travel to different time zones. I also use Text Free and with Opera browser and email, the Opty-S is a good cheap internet appliance.

Palacial-dwelling

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to chime in, and mention that this is -exactly- what I do with my optimus, as well.

I snagged one for about forty bucks, flashed it (gROM in the old days, and now HydroROM) and I'm happy to say, between Skype and Textfree, it's a very affordable alternative. I like Maxthon as a browser, since I've added adobe flash support to mine. Sometimes I have issues with textfree not showing notifications, or even not refreshing, but hey, it's free!

Likewise, I keep mine in airplane mode with wifi on. It's not quite the same as having a tablet, but as has been said, it's a dirt-cheap touch capable internet device.

So yeah, there's another "Me too" for yeh.

cgl102770

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
This thread is one of the most informative I've found on the net, thanks to everyone for posting. I have a Droid Bionic, and want to drop Verizon and add either GrooveIp or Skype to call and text. I'm curious what will happen to my phone once I drop Verizon...will most of the apps still be there, except for the Verizon apps, or will my phone be wiped clean, kind of like when you reinstall the OS on a computer? Thank you all for any feedback.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance