Is this the low end on Sprint to get?

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a friend who is planning on making the move into the Smartphone world, but he doesn't want to go into the high level market with the 4G and stuff like that yet. With the Transform pretty much getting hammered in most reviews. Haven't read much about the Zio, or gone into a store to check it out, but based on what I have been reading, it seems like the Optimus S will be a better option. Of course, won't know how well it works until it is released, just trying to get some additional opinions.

LG_Pro

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I got a friend who is planning on making the move into the Smartphone world, but he doesn't want to go into the high level market with the 4G and stuff like that yet. With the Transform pretty much getting hammered in most reviews. Haven't read much about the Zio, or gone into a store to check it out, but based on what I have been reading, it seems like the Optimus S will be a better option. Of course, won't know how well it works until it is released, just trying to get some additional opinions.

The Optimus S will be an entry level Android 2.2 device aimed at current "Feature Phone" users who want to migrate to an Android device.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The Optimus S will be an entry level Android 2.2 device aimed at current "Feature Phone" users who want to migrate to an Android device.

Right, I understand that. Of the Transform, Zio, and Optimus S (even include the Intercept if you want), what I was asking was is the Optimus S going to be the best of the low end Android phones on Sprint.

mfmseth

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I say a wait for the HTC Hero2 or a just settle for a Hero, I feel that phone blows entry level phones out of the watter. Without the 4g cost.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
There are a couple of developers from the EVO side who are kicking around the idea of picking up the LG optimus and doing work. I'm thinking this is going to be a great device to have. ;)

And if you couldn't tell from Jerry's optimus review (different branding and radios but same OS and kernel), he was thoroughly impressed with this device.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
First android phone - pre user

Picked this phone up yesterday. Ive been rocking my Pre for the last year and change. This phone is fantastic in all ways but one, the screen sucks. The software is responsive, the gps fixes fast, the camera is great (save for no flash... Boooooo) and the build is top-notch (love the matte-finish) but, I really don't like the screen. Reminds me of the old LG clam phones from yesteryear. Has that "horizontal-line-effect" from those old clams. If that doesn't bother you, then this is the phone to get....today.

Btw, even not liking the screen, I'm keeping mine.

Jason

Hooligan76

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
He could try the Samsung Intercept... and it's only $.01... yes a penny on amazon with a new 2 year contract with sprint. great starter phone. my wife has this as her first smart phone and loves it. even the kids are able to use it out of the box.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
He could try the Samsung Intercept... and it's only $.01... yes a penny on amazon with a new 2 year contract with sprint. great starter phone. my wife has this as her first smart phone and loves it. even the kids are able to use it out of the box.

i would not recommend it. don't be tempted with the price, it will be more headache than it's worth due to the percentage of bad vs good.

if you for some reason get a working intercept, then i agree it's a decent phone for the price, but more than likely, you will get one with either software or hardware issue.

i tried to talk a friend of mine out of it a few weeks ago when best buy was giving them away free, but they couldn't pass on the price. well, the first one got really bogged down after a few days of use. i'm talking normal use, not filled with running widgets and apps. the second handset is now going into airplane mode and not coming out unless the battery is pulled.

luckily, today is still within their 30-day, so they are exchanging it for the LG Optimus S, which i recommend over the Intercept any day.

kekil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I say a wait for the HTC Hero2 or a just settle for a Hero, I feel that phone blows entry level phones out of the watter. .

I disagree. I've had a Hero for a year now, and it was not the most pleasant experience. It's an ok phone, but the Optimus seems like a solid phone as well. Superior to the Hero in many ways (memory, processor, OS, speed, etc), inferior in only a few (no light sensor, and no trackball/trackpad).

Also, with no details about the Hero2 coming out, I say it might be a long wait for that device.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I had a Hero, got the Optimus S at Radio Shack w/ their free coupon. Glad I did. My Hero had to be overclocked to be usable and it still had issues with being sluggish. Very glad I got the Optimus S.

ItsDon

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a Hero currently and am thinking about getting this phone. Can someone tell me how much available phone storage space is available upon first boot? I always seem to run near the bottom with my Hero, even when running LiquidSense Odex rom.

Is the screen clarity and brightness the same or better than the Hero? My daughter has the Evo and while the screen is massive, it looks washed out compared to my Hero.

Now that this is rooted and free it has my attention!

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a Hero currently and am thinking about getting this phone. Can someone tell me how much available phone storage space is available upon first boot? I always seem to run near the bottom with my Hero, even when running LiquidSense Odex rom.

Is the screen clarity and brightness the same or better than the Hero? My daughter has the Evo and while the screen is massive, it looks washed out compared to my Hero.

Now that this is rooted and free it has my attention!

I'd say the screen clarity & brightness is at least as good as the Hero. Also feels better in my hand. As for out of the box storage, you have ~140MB, I'm just waiting for a recovery image so I can load DarkTremor's Apps2SD.

gizmosears

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Had a Hero for awhile then just got the Optimus and would say the Optimus way outperforms the Hero. Besides the Evo and Epic this is the next best phone Sprint has(especially for the price).

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Had a Hero for awhile then just got the Optimus and would say the Optimus way outperforms the Hero. Besides the Evo and Epic this is the next best phone Sprint has(especially for the price).

Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?

gizmosears

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?

It has a ton more RAM which has this phone moving a lot faster, no lag at all. I was worried about the Sprint ID thing also but it's pretty much something you can use to theme your phone. I didn't use it, I have my optimus set exactly like my hero and this definitely outperforms the hero.

Reactions: outdors21

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2