Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is this the low end on Sprint to get?

    I got a friend who is planning on making the move into the Smartphone world, but he doesn't want to go into the high level market with the 4G and stuff like that yet. With the Transform pretty much getting hammered in most reviews. Haven't read much about the Zio, or gone into a store to check it out, but based on what I have been reading, it seems like the Optimus S will be a better option. Of course, won't know how well it works until it is released, just trying to get some additional opinions.
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
    I got a friend who is planning on making the move into the Smartphone world, but he doesn't want to go into the high level market with the 4G and stuff like that yet. With the Transform pretty much getting hammered in most reviews. Haven't read much about the Zio, or gone into a store to check it out, but based on what I have been reading, it seems like the Optimus S will be a better option. Of course, won't know how well it works until it is released, just trying to get some additional opinions.
    The Optimus S will be an entry level Android 2.2 device aimed at current "Feature Phone" users who want to migrate to an Android device.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Whats so bad about the Transform?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LG_Pro View Post
    The Optimus S will be an entry level Android 2.2 device aimed at current "Feature Phone" users who want to migrate to an Android device.
    Right, I understand that. Of the Transform, Zio, and Optimus S (even include the Intercept if you want), what I was asking was is the Optimus S going to be the best of the low end Android phones on Sprint.
  5. #5  

    Default

    I say a wait for the HTC Hero2 or a just settle for a Hero, I feel that phone blows entry level phones out of the watter. Without the 4g cost.
    [CENTER]XBL - Vanden9 | PSN - Vanden9 | Steam - Vanden9 | Facebook
  6. #6  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Yeah just get the hero. It's a solid phone.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  7. #7  
    Park's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

    Default

    Are there any rumors about when the Hero 2 will be available?
  8. #8  

    Default

    There are a couple of developers from the EVO side who are kicking around the idea of picking up the LG optimus and doing work. I'm thinking this is going to be a great device to have.

    And if you couldn't tell from Jerry's optimus review (different branding and radios but same OS and kernel), he was thoroughly impressed with this device.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Are there any rumors about when the Hero 2 will be available?
    There was a lot of speculation about a Hero 2 last February but since then there really has been nothing. We typically get at least rumors of HTC phones a couple months in advance. With so many new phones just introduced for the holiday crush, this may be all we see for a bit:

    43 New Androids Announced, Shipped, or Leaked So Far in October
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
  10. #10  
    Gr8hifi's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default First android phone - pre user

    Picked this phone up yesterday. Ive been rocking my Pre for the last year and change. This phone is fantastic in all ways but one, the screen sucks. The software is responsive, the gps fixes fast, the camera is great (save for no flash... Boooooo) and the build is top-notch (love the matte-finish) but, I really don't like the screen. Reminds me of the old LG clam phones from yesteryear. Has that "horizontal-line-effect" from those old clams. If that doesn't bother you, then this is the phone to get....today.

    Btw, even not liking the screen, I'm keeping mine.

    Jason
  11. #11  

    Default

    He could try the Samsung Intercept... and it's only $.01... yes a penny on amazon with a new 2 year contract with sprint. great starter phone. my wife has this as her first smart phone and loves it. even the kids are able to use it out of the box.
    Hooligan76
    Devices: LG Spectrum, HTC Rhyme, Sony Xperia Play, Elocity A7 w/ CM7.1
    Carrier: Verizon
  12. #12  
    Gr8hifi's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default

    Optimus S is free this weekend at Radioshack with coupon:
    Thanked by 2:
  13. #13  
    werkx's Avatar

    Posts
    296 Posts
    Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan76 View Post
    He could try the Samsung Intercept... and it's only $.01... yes a penny on amazon with a new 2 year contract with sprint. great starter phone. my wife has this as her first smart phone and loves it. even the kids are able to use it out of the box.
    i would not recommend it. don't be tempted with the price, it will be more headache than it's worth due to the percentage of bad vs good.

    if you for some reason get a working intercept, then i agree it's a decent phone for the price, but more than likely, you will get one with either software or hardware issue.

    i tried to talk a friend of mine out of it a few weeks ago when best buy was giving them away free, but they couldn't pass on the price. well, the first one got really bogged down after a few days of use. i'm talking normal use, not filled with running widgets and apps. the second handset is now going into airplane mode and not coming out unless the battery is pulled.

    luckily, today is still within their 30-day, so they are exchanging it for the LG Optimus S, which i recommend over the Intercept any day.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mfmseth View Post
    I say a wait for the HTC Hero2 or a just settle for a Hero, I feel that phone blows entry level phones out of the watter. .
    I disagree. I've had a Hero for a year now, and it was not the most pleasant experience. It's an ok phone, but the Optimus seems like a solid phone as well. Superior to the Hero in many ways (memory, processor, OS, speed, etc), inferior in only a few (no light sensor, and no trackball/trackpad).

    Also, with no details about the Hero2 coming out, I say it might be a long wait for that device.
  15. #15  
    smccloud's Avatar

    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

    Default

    I had a Hero, got the Optimus S at Radio Shack w/ their free coupon. Glad I did. My Hero had to be overclocked to be usable and it still had issues with being sluggish. Very glad I got the Optimus S.
  16. #16  
    ItsDon's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

    Default

    I have a Hero currently and am thinking about getting this phone. Can someone tell me how much available phone storage space is available upon first boot? I always seem to run near the bottom with my Hero, even when running LiquidSense Odex rom.

    Is the screen clarity and brightness the same or better than the Hero? My daughter has the Evo and while the screen is massive, it looks washed out compared to my Hero.

    Now that this is rooted and free it has my attention!
  17. #17  
    smccloud's Avatar

    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsDon View Post
    I have a Hero currently and am thinking about getting this phone. Can someone tell me how much available phone storage space is available upon first boot? I always seem to run near the bottom with my Hero, even when running LiquidSense Odex rom.

    Is the screen clarity and brightness the same or better than the Hero? My daughter has the Evo and while the screen is massive, it looks washed out compared to my Hero.

    Now that this is rooted and free it has my attention!
    I'd say the screen clarity & brightness is at least as good as the Hero. Also feels better in my hand. As for out of the box storage, you have ~140MB, I'm just waiting for a recovery image so I can load DarkTremor's Apps2SD.
  18. #18  
    gizmosears's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    ROM
    Unofficial CM7

    Default

    Had a Hero for awhile then just got the Optimus and would say the Optimus way outperforms the Hero. Besides the Evo and Epic this is the next best phone Sprint has(especially for the price).
  19. #19  
    outdors21's Avatar

    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmosears View Post
    Had a Hero for awhile then just got the Optimus and would say the Optimus way outperforms the Hero. Besides the Evo and Epic this is the next best phone Sprint has(especially for the price).
    Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

    Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?
  20. #20  
    gizmosears's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    ROM
    Unofficial CM7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outdors21 View Post
    Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

    Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?
    It has a ton more RAM which has this phone moving a lot faster, no lag at all. I was worried about the Sprint ID thing also but it's pretty much something you can use to theme your phone. I didn't use it, I have my optimus set exactly like my hero and this definitely outperforms the hero.
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by outdors21 View Post
    Can your provide more detail? I am debating returning my newly gotten Hero (emergency situation) for the Optimus. Is it worth it?

    Is the sprint ID stuff easy to remove/disable?
    Definitely get the Optimus. Overall superior to the Hero. Besides, the Hero won't be supported much longer. The Optimus is new, and Sprint will hopefully support it for awhile. Maybe Gingerbread?

    The Optimus S specs are good. Too good for $49 with upgrade in fact. So I did some experimenting. I previously had the Hero, which I rooted and tried Fresh, CM6.0, and CM6.1. Then I went to a Sprint store and tried the Transform and Zio. I ran three popular benchmarking apps against each of these phones/ROMS. .

    The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.

    Oh and if you want to play Angry Birds, you can't do it with the Hero.

    As far as Sprint ID. It seems Sprint requires you to download an ID pack, but you don't have to install one. I just installed LauncherPro to get rid of that useless ID button.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Yea I tried a Zio when it was free at bestbuy and it was horrible. I dont see how they are charging more for it than the optimus. This optimus is a great phone so far.. I cant wait for some developers to get a hold of this thing and I dont think it will take long when they see what it can do stock.
  23. #23  
    smccloud's Avatar

    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    902 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kekil View Post
    Definitely get the Optimus. Overall superior to the Hero. Besides, the Hero won't be supported much longer. The Optimus is new, and Sprint will hopefully support it for awhile. Maybe Gingerbread?

    The Optimus S specs are good. Too good for $49 with upgrade in fact. So I did some experimenting. I previously had the Hero, which I rooted and tried Fresh, CM6.0, and CM6.1. Then I went to a Sprint store and tried the Transform and Zio. I ran three popular benchmarking apps against each of these phones/ROMS. .

    The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.

    Oh and if you want to play Angry Birds, you can't do it with the Hero.

    As far as Sprint ID. It seems Sprint requires you to download an ID pack, but you don't have to install one. I just installed LauncherPro to get rid of that useless ID button.
    Did you mistype the BenchmarkPi and CPU Benchmark for the Optimus? And the Hero can play Angry Birds, just not well
  24. #24  
    scifan's Avatar

    Posts
    396 Posts
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    ROM
    ZVD/ICE CM9 Alpha

    Default

    Had a Hero... Have an Optimus at this point... this is significantly better than the Hero speed wise.
  25. #25  

    Default

    I know this is a necro but i cant believe people saying to get the hero over the optimus S??!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B