LG Optimus S unboxing

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Scored my LG Optimus S today. Heres a quick rundown

Initial thought:
Amazing build quality. Very pocket-able. Doesn't feel like it only cost $349.99 when its in your hand.

Whats in the box:
Phone
Battery
Standard manuals nobody reads :p
AC wall adapter
USB cable to use with AC adapter or computer
LG microSD to SD card adapter
2 GB micro SD

Problems/Issues:
First thing I noticed is there is no LED indicator. This means no led indication of charging, texts, emails, missed calls. Anything. Kind of a bummer but don't fret, I've already got some ideas.

This is more a personal thought than anything but if you are coming from an HTC device or Motorola device which both have amazing custom keyboards, be prepared to adjust to a vanilla keyboard. Also if you are used to having a big screen such as the EVO get ready for a double learning curve.

Overall:
I've spent a few hours with this phone, have it rooted, have wireless tether on it, and some more fun stuff I'll be documenting soon. I feel like i made a great decision moving to this device. Going from the Hero, to the EVO, now to this, I feel like I'm home again (OEM aside). With hardly any work at all this device is a force to be reckoned with. Sit back and buckle up because this is gonna be a crazy ride!

Info:
[How-to] Root the Optimus S
[Exploit] Free wireless tethering for all. Root not required :)

Pictures:
IMAG0020.jpg
IMAG0022.jpg
IMAG0023.jpg
IMAG0040.jpg
IMAG0042.jpg
IMAG0043.jpg
IMAG0045.jpg

Last edited:

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Agree with your thoughts!

I got this phone today too and I really like it. Wish the screen were higher quality but phone still far exceeds the price point (former Pre user). REALLY looking forward to your "messings" with it..

Jason

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Until LG or sprint will verify this it's not an exact science but I believe this phone has an oleophobic coating on the glass. When I hold it up to the light and look across the glass I see a slight "wave " which is a sign of some sort of liquid coating on the glass.

This has become a standard now for capacitive touch screens so it makes sense.

Pro -Tip: Sprint was kind enough to put their "Sprint Tutorial Widgets" in the data/app directory. If you don't know, these are the little arrows that are all over the screen the first time you boot the phone with hints and tips "drag down notification bar to see system notification" or "long press on the screen to add a new widget or app shortcut". Anyway back on topic, the fact that Sprint put these in the data/app directory means you can easily delete it and reclaim the used space. Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > scroll down to sprint tutorial widgets and click it. Click "uninstall". Enjoy

Last edited:

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the build quality, doesn't feel like a $350 phone, feels better. Also feels better than my Hero does.

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Scored my LG Optimus S today. Heres a quick rundown

Problems/Issues:
First thing I noticed is there is no LED indicator. This means no led indication of charging, texts, emails, missed calls. Anything. Kind of a bummer but don't fret, I've already got some ideas.

Thanks. What? No LED indicator?! How am I going to live with that?
I guess you have some ideas, maybe same as mine... Maybe we can see if we can use the backlight of the four keys on the bottom to indicate something. Best is if we can control each of them individually!

Good luck and thanks for your work!

Also how's the battery? I read it sucks with SprintId app. Can you confirm it is just those crappy software?

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If the phone has a flash on the camera you can download an app called flashlight alerts. It will make your cameras flash go off when you get a new text or call.

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Took mine off of charge this morning. I've gone 9h 36 m and 15s. I have 37% battery left. I've used 1h 28m 6 seconds of voice, 9h 36m and 2s bluetooth, 7h 52m 39s phone idle, display is at 5% and has been on for 1h 43m 35s, wifi has been used 1h 36m and 20s, android system totals: CPU: 17m 16s, DAta Sent 780KB, Data received 56.12 MB.

I'm using the Sprint version of the Sprint ID stuff. My wall paper is the moving blades of grass and GPS has been set to on this whole time. I've sent several text messages and one or two picture messages.

Battery seems pretty good compared to my Pre... that battery sucked.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed this. Yesterday when I tried doing native wireless tethering I kept getting an error saying service unavailable which is why I was using the Android wireless tether app.

Today native tethering fired right up and connected no problem. Hopefully this isn't a free trial period like they did with the EVO.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed this. Yesterday when I tried doing native wireless tethering I kept getting an error saying service unavailable which is why I was using the Android wireless tether app.

Today native tethering fired right up and connected no problem. Hopefully this isn't a free trial period like they did with the EVO.

Hmm, whats the name of the native tethering app? I don't see it :(

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, whats the name of the native tethering app? I don't see it :(

Menu > Settings > Wireless networks > Portable Hot Spot

It's a setting not an app but if you want a widget to toggle it you can buy "Extended controls" from the market. I'm using that as a widget to toggle native wireless tethering.

ws1088

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. What? No LED indicator?! How am I going to live with that?
I guess you have some ideas, maybe same as mine... Maybe we can see if we can use the backlight of the four keys on the bottom to indicate something. Best is if we can control each of them individually!

Also, maybe we can use the proximity sensor to detect when user bring the phone out of the pocket (or case) and display something on the screen.

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Really thankful for this thread. Found out yesterday my Hero's battery drain is due to possible water damage and I'm eligible for an upgrade and Radioshack is letting this go for free this weekend. I'd like an EVO but not really interested in the price atm.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Another thing i found with this phone which is kind of an annoyance is the speakerphone is insanely loud. Even at it's lowest level it is still louder than what I'd like.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that It's not my old age (I'm only 28!) and that this thing is really loud.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My speakerphone is an ear blaster also... not your old age.@@

Good to know, thanks for confirming its not just me.

Found another thing that was driving me a little batty but has an easy fix. I noticed then when on WiFi my GTalk session kept connecting and disconnecting. After some further inspection i realized it's because if you connect to WiFi, by default when you put the phone to sleep (shut off the screen), WiFi disconnects. Then when you wake up the phone it reconnects. Both of these cause GTalk, or any live service, to disconnect then reconnect each time.

To prevent WiFi from disconnecting when the screen is off:
Menu > Settings > Wireless networks > Wifi Settings > Menu > Advanced > WiFi sleep policy - check mark "never"

Wifi uses less resources (read, battery) than the cellular network so keeping it connected while you're in range is a good idea anyway. Then when you leave make sure you have a toggle on one of your screens to shut off WiFi. Leaving WiFi on while you're not in range can lead to a battery drain.

Cheers!

Gr8hifi

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I was having the exact same issue. My messages would go through but I'd get the disconnected message each time. The two things that have bugged me so far are: 1: no way to control the lights of the buttons (I'd like these to be on when the screen is on... new to Android!) and 2: If you are within range of a known wireless, the 3G services will no longer work. Ie, if you are at home, you can't get any of the SprintID stuff to work unless you kill the wifi. This only bothers me because I'm playing around with the ID stuff (not very impressed so far... too much trial-ware junk)