Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG Optimus S unboxing

Scored my LG Optimus S today. Heres a quick rundown

Initial thought:
    Amazing build quality. Very pocket-able. Doesn't feel like it only cost $349.99 when its in your hand.

Whats in the box:
    Phone
    Battery
    Standard manuals nobody reads
    AC wall adapter
    USB cable to use with AC adapter or computer
    LG microSD to SD card adapter
    2 GB micro SD

Problems/Issues:
    First thing I noticed is there is no LED indicator. This means no led indication of charging, texts, emails, missed calls. Anything. Kind of a bummer but don't fret, I've already got some ideas.

This is more a personal thought than anything but if you are coming from an HTC device or Motorola device which both have amazing custom keyboards, be prepared to adjust to a vanilla keyboard. Also if you are used to having a big screen such as the EVO get ready for a double learning curve.

Overall:
    I've spent a few hours with this phone, have it rooted, have wireless tether on it, and some more fun stuff I'll be documenting soon. I feel like i made a great decision moving to this device. Going from the Hero, to the EVO, now to this, I feel like I'm home again (OEM aside). With hardly any work at all this device is a force to be reckoned with. Sit back and buckle up because this is gonna be a crazy ride!

Info:
    [How-to] Root the Optimus S
    [Exploit] Free wireless tethering for all. Root not required

Pictures:
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Default Agree with your thoughts!

I got this phone today too and I really like it. Wish the screen were higher quality but phone still far exceeds the price point (former Pre user). REALLY looking forward to your "messings" with it..

Jason
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Until LG or sprint will verify this it's not an exact science but I believe this phone has an oleophobic coating on the glass. When I hold it up to the light and look across the glass I see a slight "wave " which is a sign of some sort of liquid coating on the glass.

This has become a standard now for capacitive touch screens so it makes sense.

Pro -Tip: Sprint was kind enough to put their "Sprint Tutorial Widgets" in the data/app directory. If you don't know, these are the little arrows that are all over the screen the first time you boot the phone with hints and tips "drag down notification bar to see system notification" or "long press on the screen to add a new widget or app shortcut". Anyway back on topic, the fact that Sprint put these in the data/app directory means you can easily delete it and reclaim the used space. Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > scroll down to sprint tutorial widgets and click it. Click "uninstall". Enjoy

I could not get over the size difference coming from the Evo. 4" screen is likely a minimum for me going forward.

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

I agree with the build quality, doesn't feel like a $350 phone, feels better. Also feels better than my Hero does.

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Scored my LG Optimus S today. Heres a quick rundown

Problems/Issues:
    First thing I noticed is there is no LED indicator. This means no led indication of charging, texts, emails, missed calls. Anything. Kind of a bummer but don't fret, I've already got some ideas.
    Thanks. What? No LED indicator?! How am I going to live with that?
    I guess you have some ideas, maybe same as mine... Maybe we can see if we can use the backlight of the four keys on the bottom to indicate something. Best is if we can control each of them individually!

Good luck and thanks for your work!

Also how's the battery? I read it sucks with SprintId app. Can you confirm it is just those crappy software?

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

If the phone has a flash on the camera you can download an app called flashlight alerts. It will make your cameras flash go off when you get a new text or call.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Took mine off of charge this morning. I've gone 9h 36 m and 15s. I have 37% battery left. I've used 1h 28m 6 seconds of voice, 9h 36m and 2s bluetooth, 7h 52m 39s phone idle, display is at 5% and has been on for 1h 43m 35s, wifi has been used 1h 36m and 20s, android system totals: CPU: 17m 16s, DAta Sent 780KB, Data received 56.12 MB.

I'm using the Sprint version of the Sprint ID stuff. My wall paper is the moving blades of grass and GPS has been set to on this whole time. I've sent several text messages and one or two picture messages.

Battery seems pretty good compared to my Pre... that battery sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawheim View Post
    If the phone has a flash on the camera you can download an app called flashlight alerts. It will make your cameras flash go off when you get a new text or call.
    Unfortunately it doesn't have a camera flash...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Just noticed this. Yesterday when I tried doing native wireless tethering I kept getting an error saying service unavailable which is why I was using the Android wireless tether app.

Today native tethering fired right up and connected no problem. Hopefully this isn't a free trial period like they did with the EVO.

Global Posts
    931 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by KSmithInNY View Post
    Just noticed this. Yesterday when I tried doing native wireless tethering I kept getting an error saying service unavailable which is why I was using the Android wireless tether app.

Today native tethering fired right up and connected no problem. Hopefully this isn't a free trial period like they did with the EVO.
    Hmm, whats the name of the native tethering app? I don't see it
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    Hmm, whats the name of the native tethering app? I don't see it
    Menu > Settings > Wireless networks > Portable Hot Spot

It's a setting not an app but if you want a widget to toggle it you can buy "Extended controls" from the market. I'm using that as a widget to toggle native wireless tethering.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Is this why you deleted your "tethering" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ws1088 View Post
    Thanks. What? No LED indicator?! How am I going to live with that?
    I guess you have some ideas, maybe same as mine... Maybe we can see if we can use the backlight of the four keys on the bottom to indicate something. Best is if we can control each of them individually!
    Also, maybe we can use the proximity sensor to detect when user bring the phone out of the pocket (or case) and display something on the screen.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8hifi View Post
    Is this why you deleted your "tethering" thread?
    Yep. Not necessary since it works natively.

Really thankful for this thread. Found out yesterday my Hero's battery drain is due to possible water damage and I'm eligible for an upgrade and Radioshack is letting this go for free this weekend. I'd like an EVO but not really interested in the price atm.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Another thing i found with this phone which is kind of an annoyance is the speakerphone is insanely loud. Even at it's lowest level it is still louder than what I'd like.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that It's not my old age (I'm only 28!) and that this thing is really loud.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Default ear blasting hear too

My speakerphone is an ear blaster also... not your old age.@@
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

My speakerphone is an ear blaster also... not your old age.@@
    Good to know, thanks for confirming its not just me.

Found another thing that was driving me a little batty but has an easy fix. I noticed then when on WiFi my GTalk session kept connecting and disconnecting. After some further inspection i realized it's because if you connect to WiFi, by default when you put the phone to sleep (shut off the screen), WiFi disconnects. Then when you wake up the phone it reconnects. Both of these cause GTalk, or any live service, to disconnect then reconnect each time.

To prevent WiFi from disconnecting when the screen is off:
    Menu > Settings > Wireless networks > Wifi Settings > Menu > Advanced > WiFi sleep policy - check mark "never"

Wifi uses less resources (read, battery) than the cellular network so keeping it connected while you're in range is a good idea anyway. Then when you leave make sure you have a toggle on one of your screens to shut off WiFi. Leaving WiFi on while you're not in range can lead to a battery drain.

Cheers!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I was having the exact same issue. My messages would go through but I'd get the disconnected message each time. The two things that have bugged me so far are: 1: no way to control the lights of the buttons (I'd like these to be on when the screen is on... new to Android!) and 2: If you are within range of a known wireless, the 3G services will no longer work. Ie, if you are at home, you can't get any of the SprintID stuff to work unless you kill the wifi. This only bothers me because I'm playing around with the ID stuff (not very impressed so far... too much trial-ware junk)
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

2: If you are within range of a known wireless, the 3G services will no longer work. Ie, if you are at home, you can't get any of the SprintID stuff to work unless you kill the wifi. This only bothers me because I'm playing around with the ID stuff (not very impressed so far... too much trial-ware junk)
    All of sprint's service require you to be on their network as part of the verification process. This is a pain in the **** more so on phones with the football app or sprint TV or NASCAR app (all of which this phone doesn't have) but it's for a good reason I suppose. I'd probably do the same if I were them. ::shrugs::
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Found an app in the market called "FlashNotify" (free). What this app does is turns on your screen LEDs when you have a missed call or missed text. You can control the frequency (5 seconds, 10, 30, 60) at which the screen briefly lights up and the duration (1 minute, 5, 15, 30, never) for how long this will continue until the phone stops flashing.

My thoughts are this is a cool application although common sense would dictate it uses more battery than a standard LED notification because it's powering up x amount of LEDs rather than 1 LED. Also it only supports text and missed calls. Might be worth it for someone to reach out to the developer and see if he could add email, gmail, and gtalk notifications to the paid version.

Just read in several places that the hotspots only work with a $30 add on..is that true?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by DygitalGoddess View Post
    Just read in several places that the hotspots only work with a $30 add on..is that true?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    I don't believe this to be true. It's working fine for me. You know the post where i said it was working? That was typed wirelessly tethered to my Optimus S using the native tethering. There is a $30 free associated with phone such as the EVO but that's because A) it can use 4g and B) it's using a Sprint proprietary application.

This on the other hand is using the true Android hotspot functionality that Google (not sprint or LG) includes in Froyo. Because it uses the default google hotspot functionality, I don't think that it's possible for them have verification through the services.jar file. I believe in order to restrict it they would need to remove the stock functionality and then add their own proprietary apk I mentioned above which would then use the service.jar file for authentication.

I'm not 100% sure on this but i am 100% sure it's working for me right now. Again this could simply be a 30 day trial thing BUT even if it is, just root using my guide and I'll open up my wireless tether guide again (it's not deleted, it's just hidden so only mod's can see it). Hope i didn't get too technical and cause any confusion.

EDIT - Just to confirm my suspicions, I called a friend at Sprint and was told this "I am under the impression this phone comes with wireless hotspot at no additional charge. There has been no mention of a current charge, and no mention of a future charge for this service."

EDIT #2 - Friend at Sprint was wrong but don't worry. [Exploit] Free wireless tethering for all

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

I am currently having the same issue with the mobile hotspot as well. Tried rebooting which didn't help much and I am still getting the error. I wonder if this will get resolved by an update or such.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast