[How-To] Wireless Tether for VD

soulgrnd

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Rooted Froyo LG Optimus S Tether?

I recently swapped my Launch Palm Pre (nice UI **** hardware...) for a brand new Optimus S! I LOVE ANDROID OS :cool:, but I miss wifi tethering:(. For w.e reason I cannot get any of the root apps to tether:(. The network doesn't appear to be broadcasting with Barnacle (legacy or otherwise)... Help!

soulgrnd

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks man! I'm replying via Tether as we speak... I must admit I feel a bit foolish but I'm a happy fool now thanks to you

waylon44

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a complete noob and I don't know what an OTA update is and how to prevent Sp&#$% from pushing it down whether I want it or not. Thanks.

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a complete noob and I don't know what an OTA update is and how to prevent Sp&#$% from pushing it down whether I want it or not. Thanks.

i had a sprint update notification window that kept nagging(read: pop-up) me for an install, but i 'install later'd until i got custom recovery up. you should check out the sticky on custom recovery. good luck

Jakon325

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's the exact reason we have internet data caps. Too many people abusing it.

So you're saying my unlimited internet has a couple gigabyte cap or something?

I guess there's no real point in using the tethering anyways, unless I'm in a car and want to browse the internet. I mean really, there is internet everywhere you go for, for free.

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Just found this thread by accident. This widget came in v1.3 of ThundeROM so i kinda took it for granted. Didn't realize how good I had it until just a few mins ago. Thanks again sooooo very much for all your tremendous work!!!!

ruckussjr12

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!!!!!

I just wanted to say thanks for the info... I was going to try to root my phone, but i really dont think thats a good idea seeing as I am not so computer smart (well not as smart as I thought).. And this is So awesome thanks for saving me $30 bucks a month...

harry_m#AC

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
go the market and get the free application "Hotspot Widget" by Harald Muller. Any hotspot widget should work but we'll use Haralds in this example.

Ha. I'm the one who has created mentioned "hotspot widget".
(You don't probably know ... but I'm also one of the devs of "wireless tether". ;))

Anyway ... my "Hotspot Widget" uses method-calls which are marked as "hidden" in froyo. Even if they are hidden they are still callable :rolleyes: - so removing such a functionality like the hotspot-feature from "settings" is not enough to disable this feature :p

Just one question ... are you guys able to change the hotspot-settings (enabling encryption and such stuff) by clicking on the "ongoing tethering event/icon"?

btw ... linked this thread: Hotspot Widget – Tethering Exploit | My Sandbox - my blog (german)

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ha. I'm the one who has created mentioned "hotspot widget".
(You don't probably know ... but I'm also one of the devs of "wireless tether". ;))

Anyway ... my "Hotspot Widget" uses method-calls which are marked as "hidden" in froyo. Even if they are hidden they are still callable :rolleyes: - so removing such a functionality like the hotspot-feature from "settings" is not enough to disable this feature :p

Just one question ... are you guys able to change the hotspot-settings (enabling encryption and such stuff) by clicking on the "ongoing tethering event/icon"?

btw ... linked this thread: Hotspot Widget ? Tethering Exploit | My Sandbox - my blog (german)

thank you harry_m for making such a nifty little widget. i've tried your widget before/after rooting and it worked for me both times. the only thing that hasn't worked in either instance is the the hotspot settings (encryptions etc) function.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I was able to change my encryption and connect without an issue. This was a phone to phone connection but the phone that connected to me was able to connect through encrypted wifi and browse without a problem.

Encryption was was WPA2 PSK

Reactions: infid3lkastro

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I was able to change my encryption and connect without an issue. This was a phone to phone connection but the phone that connected to me was able to connect through encrypted wifi and browse without a problem.
Encryption was was WPA2 PSK

thank you, KSmithNY!!!!!! you're a beast, sir! WPA2/PSK works!!! idk why but i couldn't even click on portable wi-fi hotspot settings when i tried this unrooted (and rooted too :confused:). but yes, all kosher now. tnx to encryption, i don't have to look over my shoulders for bandwidth turr-rists @the coffee shop when i'm trying to get my (unlimited skip ;)) pandora on.

EDIT
encryption has worked for my itouch + bberry8320.

Last edited:

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying my unlimited internet has a couple gigabyte cap or something?

I guess there's no real point in using the tethering anyways, unless I'm in a car and want to browse the internet. I mean really, there is internet everywhere you go for, for free.

Yes, even though it says it's "Unlimited" it really isn't...unless you have a grandfathered plan. Most carriers have a 5GB limit on wireless and if you abuse it, you could end up getting a nice disconnection notice for going over.

It never used to be like this however people have been abusing the tether hack, and I'm assuming thats what lead to internet data caps.

Google it and you will find more info...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie