02-03-2011 03:15 PM
- So, about 15 days ago, my phone met a watery grave on vacation. The only place that sold Sprint phones in the immediate area was the Wal-Mart. I eventually chose the Hero (best option available), and wasted my two year upgrade on it.
Wal-Mart has a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, and I am wondering if I should return the Hero and get an Optimus.
I am not too thrilled with the Sprint ID stuff (is it easy to remove/disable?) and plan on using a June upgrade on a 3rd line for whatever newer phone is out, anyway.
But in the mean time...is the Optimus a worthwhile upgrade over the Hero in your minds?
Thanks for any advice!11-08-2010 03:42 PM
- Never used the Hero, so I can't comment on that, but it is definitely *much* faster than the Intercept. As for Sprint ID, I selected the "Clean" ID on first boot, which downloaded, but I ignored the prompt to install it and rebooted the phone. As far as I can tell, there is no trace of any ID packs. I'm running Launcher Pro, and am very impressed with the phone so far.
Should add: I have an Evo. The Optimus is for my wife. I've gotten spoiled by the speed of the Evo compared to most phones, but the Optimus keeps up perfectly fine for most tasks. Really seems to be a great value.11-08-2010 04:36 PM
- I have a hero with CM6 and I have it overclocked to 710mhz and so far this Optimus is much faster. Live wallpapers work great and it is alot less laggy. For the price I cant see going wrong with the optimus. PS if you go to radio shack on facebook and like them they will give you a coupon to get the optimus for free. I returned my Zio to Best buy and had them price match the free coupon from radioshack.11-08-2010 05:23 PM
- 11-08-2010 08:40 PM
- 11-08-2010 08:57 PM
- I have it on good word the Optimus one has a glass screen.
::sniff sniff:: anyone else smell that? Smells like a project to me
EDIT - I was just checking online looking for replacement digitizers for the Optimus one (p500) and unfortunately, the bottom of the screen is slightly different due to the button arrangement. It's a bummer but who knows what will come in our future.11-08-2010 10:34 PM
- I have a hero and just received the optimus for my wife (radio shack deal). It's nicer than the hero. I have the hero OC'd to 698 and Angry Birds plays 100% better and all the backgrounds render.
I've been waiting to upgrade my Hero, but I can't decide if I want a high end or just the optimus, it seems great except for my root won't take and the no led notification but it's great for free.11-08-2010 10:43 PM
- I had the Hero for a year. For the last few months I had it rooted and was switching between FRESH ROM and CM6.0 RC1 and CM6.1 RC1. I did some benchmarking tests between these Hero ROMS and the new mid-range Sprint Android phones. Optimus kills them all in benchmarking and actual use. In my boredom today, I put together my testing results in Google Docs.
The Transform and Zio were disappointing, and I found a deal at Radio Shack for the Optimus, so I got it. Then I ran the benchmarks on my new Optimus and it blew the others out of the water. Good upgrade from the Hero. A few features missing (trackball, light sensor, led), but in every other way, the Optimus rules. Better build quality, better camera, better processor and graphics handling, much faster speed, proximity sensor, and Android 2.2 of course! I've only had it for about 12 hours, and I'm very happy with it.11-09-2010 02:00 AM
- I wonder since the button lights dont stay on all the time can we use those for notifications?
Yea I got this as an upgrade for my house phone that was a pre. This phone kicks my hero's a$$ as far as performance. Im thinking of calling sprint and swapping the two phones so I can use it more.lol11-09-2010 06:57 AM
There is an app in the market called flashnotify that uses your screens LEDs but it only does missed calls and text messages. In the unboxing thread i suggested someone contact the developer and inquire to the possibility of adding email, gmail, gtalk notifications as well to the paid version.11-09-2010 07:10 AM
- 11-13-2010 07:25 PM
- I heard that it was glass too but who knows...
Also - I have had the Hero for a little under a year, and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It didn't matter what it was OCd at or what ROM...it was so laggy and buggy that it made me want to smash it daily. I didn't want to use my upgrade because I'm waiting for dual core phones, so I bought the Optimus from a private party. This phone is 100X better than the Hero...hands down. Don't get the Hero unless you want a turd for a phone!! :P01-25-2011 06:15 PM
- I myself have owned the hero and love it. I had a custom CM6 and clockwork recovery. It was a nice phone. I missed it. Losed it So then I got the optimus and it is a kick *** phone. One thing I don't like with the optumas is there is no roll ball and now eazy back to edit spelling. I have owned G1, hero, zio, and now the optumas.G1was the best, optumas, hero, and werst zio.01-25-2011 07:55 PM
- Optimus S > Hero ANY DAY. Don't even waste your time with it. It's a piece of junk ridden with software flaws that can't be fixed (even with custom ROMs). My sister has gone through 3, and I've gone through 2 before upgrading to the Optimus. The Hero doesn't even have a GPU (the Optimus S has the same one as the Nexus 1). The Optimus is also cheaper and performs better in every test.01-25-2011 08:27 PM
- If you don't plan on rooting, and wish to stick with the stock os. The optimus is probably the better choice for you.
But if you enjoy tinkering with things (as I do) I would highly recommend the hero, I currently have mine running android 2.3 and it blows my brother's stock optimus out of the water.
That and (for the time being at least) the hero has a much more active community, (the optimus s isnt even on xda yet). And there are plenty of roms to choose from.02-03-2011 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD