Change Rotation Setting

foolforfood

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey I was just wondering if anybody can walk me through editing my framework so I only have 90 degree rotation i.e. only when I rotate it counter-clockwise. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated because I use my phone in bed a lot and I hate it rotating when I'm reading. Thanks in advance!

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You go menu, setting, screen and uncheck auto rotate. There's also a widget for that called auto rotate switch. Hit the thanks if I've helped.

foolforfood

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate it, But I want it to rotate when I turn it counter-clockwise, but now when I turn it clockwise. I know I need to edit i belive the framework-services.jar but I don't know how to edit it, what to edit, and how to re-package the .jar
Thanks again though :)

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that with Android 2.2 that the rotation works both ways in landscape. Previous 2.1 devices would only allow the rotation to work when the top of the phone was pointing to the left.

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I also meant to mention that the stock launcher will not rotate. But you can install 'Launcher Pro' which will allow the rotation. Good stuff!

joeman3429

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate it, But I want it to rotate when I turn it counter-clockwise, but not when I turn it clockwise. I know I need to edit i belive the framework-services.jar but I don't know how to edit it, what to edit, and how to re-package the .jar
Thanks again though :)

I think that's what you meant right? I don't know how to help you though, sorry :(

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, lots of non-help and tl;dnr up there it seems. I certainly am not very adept at reprogramming these things (since my first one is still 3 days mail away) but basic knowledge and quick googling reveals that a jar file is basically an archive like zip and can be opened in your favorite archive program.

The framework/services.jar file contains a .dex file (according to google) which would be what you'd need to edit, but this is compiled java code. You'll need a development environment to do what you're proposing and will need to make the modification in the java source then recompile.

Here's one of a million guides to decompiling a .dex file to start with: zeaster: How to decompile .dex file on Android

Might help you decide if this is something you're capable of, or whether you just want to make the suggestion to one of the ROM developers to add in a revision - more precise control over the rotation - I know I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it implemented.

GL!

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No idea about how to edit the jar file, sorry, but a search on appbrain.com for "rotation" gives multiple widgets that you can place on your home screen. At the very least, when you are reading in bed, it gives you a quick toggle to turn off rotation, and you can turn rotation back on when you're done reading in bed....