Freezing / Lock-ups and SD card issues?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Memory Card mount/unmount:
I have been paying really close attention since this thread and mine has not done it all day. Before it would do it CONSTANTLY (maybe 10x's a day). I'm thinking the formatting helped. I formatted mine the good old fashion way with gparted using my PC. I did not (nor would I) recommend using the default Android format SDcard option. Put the SDCard into your computer and use windows partition manager or gparted or whatever else to format that baby with FAT32. Make sure you copy all contents off the card first, then just copy back after formatting.

Please format your card in the way i state above and report back.

Almost 600 views on this thread, several people saying they are having the problem, a potential fix that worked beautifully for me, and not a single other person that tried it and reported back? :confused:

Chum

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm anxious to hear about the reset / lock-up battery pulling issue, too. Any results on your tests?

EDIT: I am still trying to talk the other two phone owners on my account into formatting their cards... they are dragging their feet on this.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm anxious to hear about the reset / lock-up battery pulling issue, too. Any results on your tests?

EDIT: I am still trying to talk the other two phone owners on my account into formatting their cards... they are dragging their feet on this.

Well my control which was supposed to make the phone lockup failed to do so :( If i cant make it lockup (or reboot) on-demand, i cant really do much to diagnose. I still have only had it happen the 1 time when i woke up and was taking it off the charger though but that was technically a reboot not a lockup.

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have'nt had any problems with this phone except the first day I got it and I couldnt download the id pack. I called sprint and they said it was on their end and updated something on their end and 5 mins later I was up and running. No lock ups or sd card problems. I'm using a samsung 16gig sd card

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You guys wouldn't have the problem then. The issue is with the SD card which is why formatting it works. Anyone that buys the phone and throws a different SD card in wouldn't experience the mounting un-mounting issue.

So then it seems that some of the cards making it to the phones aren't getting formatted properly to me.

If more people would try the fix we would know for sure.

Sent from my Optimus T

Baltzis

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone two days ago. I placed my old 8gig sd card in the phone that I had from my Blackberry. Today when I opened my camera/gallery it was telling me that I didn't have room on my sd card. So, after reading this thread I unmounted it and the had the phone reformat the card. Then remounted it. And now it seems to be working fine. But, when I plug it up tonight I will keep and eye on it and see if it unmounts while charging and report back.

Reactions: KSmithInNY

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My GF is going to be trying to re-format. She just hasn't gotten around to it.

If she comes by I will do it and report back.

I know this process seems a little clunky but i'm going to list out the easiest way to do it which will also save your data. I've been playing around with it the last few days and i believe the easiest way for someone to fix this is:

1) Connect phone to PC and mount as external USB drive. Copy all the contents off the SD card onto the PC.
2) Un-mount from your PC
3) Un-Mount the SD card from your phone. Menu > Settings > SD Card and phone storage.
4) After the card is unmounted, select the option to format it. This will format in FAT16 which will work fine for something less than 2 TB.
5) After formatting the card, remount it.
6) Hook back up to PC and mount to PC and copy contents back over that you saved from step 1.
7) Enjoy your phone not constantly unmounting and remounting your SD card.

Brutal-Force

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I was just going to have her put the card in the enclosed adapter, copy the files to a folder on her PC and then format the card. Then return the files back to the card.

lamarrk

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
32 gb card not working right in Droid X

4) After the card is unmounted, select the option to format it. This will format in FAT16 which will work fine for something less than 2 TB.

Actually, the limit for Fat 16 is 2 GB partitions. The phone formats using Fat 32.

Now for my problem ... bought a 32gb Kingston class 6 card off eBay.
Formats without any problems. Copy the contents of one card to the other (into directory on computer .. then from computer to 2nd card), insert the 32gb into the phone and stuff disappears. All my music, most of my audiobooks (anything in MUSIC directory).

If I try to do the copy with Double Twist, some things that I try to copy cause a reboot of my computer.

Do I have a bad card or is the Droid X still not working right with 32gb cards?

PS: Doesn't matter if the card is formatted on the phone or the computer.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the limit for Fat 16 is 2 GB partitions. The phone formats using Fat 32.

Formats without any problems. Copy the contents of one card to the other (into directory on computer .. then from computer to 2nd card), insert the 32gb into the phone and stuff disappears. All my music, most of my audiobooks (anything in MUSIC directory).

If I try to do the copy with Double Twist, some things that I try to copy cause a reboot of my computer.

Maybe the phone doesn't take 32gb cards.

Also kingston doesn't make a class 6 32gb, only class 4. I've seen other posts with people getting burned on this.

Sent from my Optimus T

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Correct, i meant 2gb, not 2tb (but technically it can go to 4gb without issue).

This is an optimus forum, discussing an optimus issue where the card disconnects and reconnects at will. you might have better luck finding the memory limitations of a droid x in the droid x forums.

Also ... on a completely unrelated note (which may actually solve your problem), you might want to reach out to the person who sold you a 32gb Kingston class 6 card. Kingston doesn't make class 6 32 gb cards. The highest currently available is class 4. Not that it makes a huge difference but if you purchased it specifically because of that then and they falsely represented the product you may be able to get a refund. :cool:

Kingston Technology SDHC_Micro

EDIT - Forgot to mention this but .... the optimus formats at FAT16. Maybe the X does FAT32 or maybe Android has logic to format larger cards at FAT32 and smaller cards at FAT16 but the optimus comes with a 2gb card and android formats it as FAT16.

Cheers!

Last edited:

lamarrk

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Also ... on a completely unrelated note (which may actually solve your problem), you might want to reach out to the person who sold you a 32gb Kingston class 6 card. Kingston doesn't make class 6 32 gb cards. The highest currently available is class 4. Not that it makes a huge difference but if you purchased it specifically because of that then and they falsely represented the product you may be able to get a refund. :cool:

Kingston Technology SDHC_Micro

EDIT - Forgot to mention this but .... the optimus formats at FAT16. Maybe the X does FAT32 or maybe Android has logic to format larger cards at FAT32 and smaller cards at FAT16 but the optimus comes with a 2gb card and android formats it as FAT16.

Cheers!

Sorry for jumping in on the wrong thread. Just did a search for 32gb and didn't notice the Topic.

You may have something on the class 6, although it's clearly marked as 32 gb class 6, it doesn't have an HC marking. It could be it was not intended for the US market. Thanks for the reply.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for jumping in on the wrong thread. Just did a search for 32gb and didn't notice the Topic.

You may have something on the class 6, although it's clearly marked as 32 gb class 6, it doesn't have an HC marking. It could be it was not intended for the US market. Thanks for the reply.

If you're really curious to find out if its class 4 or 6 there a way to test the write speed which would give you a better idea.

If I were you I'd just be happy to have a 32gb card!!! I still haven't ponied up the $ for one but this is most certainly on my to-do list :p

devel79

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Optimus on Friday. Switched the 2gb card to the 4gb out of my old Hero, which was rooted (ext 3 partition). So far, absolutely no problems.

So is it the partitioning that fixes it or the reformatting?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante