Optimus S vs. (insert phone)

Equ1n0x

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
my first Android phone was a G1 on T-mobile, when I switched to sprint I got an HTC Hero, And my hero in the past year has been replaced twice, i jst upgraded to the LG Optimus S.

All comparisons here are made using a rooted Stock Rom, no processor overclocking, no live wallpaper, GPS disabled, network location enabled, network[3g] enabled, and intermittent use [screen on and being used roughly 1/3 of uptime]
Battery comparisons made starting at 100% nd remain without charging, turning off, or airplane moding until phone battery hits 0 and shuts down.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HTC Hero Sprint

3.2 Inch screen, 528 MHz Processor, 288 MB RAM, 512 ROM, Android 2.1
4.5 hours out of box battery life
2.5 minute boot time [from pressing the button to home screen]
Excessive Bloatware and default setting lead to sluggishness on day one.
Stock ROM is fairly inefficient at managing RAM

On day one, came with incredible amount of bloatware
Default Applications Are almost impossible to remove if you do not have root.
Small amount of touchscreen keyboard Lag, never resolved on either HTC hero
issues with Bluetooth data transfer [not detecting valid devices, transfer starting and reporting success while other device did not receive anything]
very poor functionality as a wireless hotspot.[excessive interruption in connection, very small % of connection phone had access to accessible by laptop etc]
No out of box apps to sd support
Nifty glass display
was not scratched once after countless falls and daily usage [the paintjob on the case was not this fortunate]

Not ram efficient out of the box, up to 60% of ram could be tied up while idling.
HTC Flash player was rather slow but convenient
[relatively] bulky case makes one-handed usage awkward.
USB port ceased responding to pc connections after 7 month, then started responding less consistently to charging, then ceased charging altogether.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
LG Optimus S Sprint
3.2 Inch screen, 600 MHz Processor, 512 MB RAM, 512 ROM, Android 2.2
14 Hours out of box battery life.
25 second boot time [from pressing the button to home screen]
Very sluggish during first one and half hours of operation from receiving at store, presumable due to still unfinished configuration, sprint network recognition, etc.
The sprint pack management system asked me rather politely if I wanted to install bloatware to keep track of football or car races I don't care about, I said no.
annoying built-in tutorial widgets are easy to remove by uninstalling their application(SprintTutorials I think)
Bluetooth data transfer[to my hero, sanyo katana flip] and headset worked fine. not tested to laptop/desktop computer
wireless hotspot [cheap free exploited] works just fine, laptop seems to be getting average of 79% speed phone gets while not hosting hotspot
after first hour or two of setting up, the phone was speedy, touch screen responsive,
Apps to SD for developer-supported apps in stock rom.
Fiberglass display has not yet been scratched, but remains a concern considering my past experience with fiberglass.
RAM is used very efficiently compared to hero, often over 70% free casual use.
Have not yet been able to install adobe flash player
Slimmer phone is a little easier to handle, but case has less friction [A little tougher to keep it from sliding around in hand]

rooting notes:

Typically we learn that rooting a phone and/or replacing a ROM will void your warranty. both of these phones were not very problematic or complicated to root [Optimus seemed a little less consistent].

While this is not different for the phones, anyone pondering whether to root a sprint phone should take into account my experience:
I rooted both of my heros, my first developed a booting issue and was replaced without any care for the root or custom rom.
My second Hero was rooted and running DarchStar's cyanogenmod for Hero CDMA, and when taken to the store for replacement [Damaged usb port], an employee pointed out they were not allowed to work on it if it has a custom ROM. she informed me that she rooted her phone also, and flashes the stock ROM whenever she brings it to a sprint store to be repaired. evidently sprint employees only need to confirm the default ROM is installed on the phone to replace a phone.
Conclusion: the Optimus S Features a 3.2 inch Display of equal resolution to the Hero, is slimmer and easier to handle, was originally released and designed for android 2.1 [HTC hero originally released on 1.6]. the slightly increased processor and nearly Doubled RAM are both used much more efficiently by the phone OS and will go alot further. In a way, the LG Optimus is Sprint's way of phasing out the HTC hero as an older device, and replacing it with a faster, lighter, Cheaper, and more open device. My upgrade was a little bit rocky on rooting the phone, transferring old data, and the usual hassle of reinstalling all my applications, but the upgrade has led to a smoother phone, more intuitive UI, better multitasking capabilities, and no tradeoffs sans Flash [which was only roughly supported in the HTC Hero by htc flash player. It's a great phone for any first-time android user, or for anyone upgrading from first gen devices.

As I notice any further differences, pros/cons I will try to update

DISCLAIMER/CMA:
This is a record of my personal experience with these two phones. while I am overall satisfied with my new phone to a greater degree than my Hero, each phone becomes the unique extension of it's user. Should you make a decision based on this information, I am not responsible for any of your actions or consequences of your decisions.

Last edited:

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. I am looking at this phone for a first phone for my daughter. Do you happen to know if the Hero had a plexi/fiber glass screen?

Thanks for the info.

Equ1n0x

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the write up. I am looking at this phone for a first phone for my daughter. Do you happen to know if the Hero had a plexi/fiber glass screen?

Thanks for the info.

While I know that manufacturers sometimes change it, the hero I bought october last year and the replacement when that one broke [some time in spring] both had Real glass, not plexi/fiberglass.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the info.

While I know that manufacturers sometimes change it, the hero I bought october last year and the replacement when that one broke [some time in spring] both had Real glass, not plexi/fiberglass.

Hero's have glass. I will say that by all accounts the Optimus S is the Hero replacement. It would be a perfect first phone. Battery life is good. Display is good. Performance is good (better than an over-clocked Hero).

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I renamed this thread and from now on all posts comparing the Optimus S against another phone should be posted here. It is very common that when a new phone comes out there are 300 threads of phone vs. x or phone vs. y and i think it would be much more beneficial to collect these in a single thread. This better organizes data and keeps the forum clean.

If anyone see's a comparison thread about the Optimus S started outside of this please PM me and I'll merge it. Thanks!

Equ1n0x

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I renamed this thread and from now on all posts comparing the Optimus S against another phone should be posted here. It is very common that when a new phone comes out there are 300 threads of phone vs. x or phone vs. y and i think it would be much more beneficial to collect these in a single thread. This better organizes data and keeps the forum clean.

If anyone see's a comparison thread about the Optimus S started outside of this please PM me and I'll merge it. Thanks!

excellent thinking, K!, feel free to just tack on any other comparisons to the OP so people don't have to sift through thread to find the comparison they want.

mikemcs

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an Eco and an optimus S for the wife. I am seriously think about returning the Evo for another S. The S is fast clean and just runs well. I'll lose the screen but save $10 A month and the $200 initial

Equ1n0x

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an Eco and an optimus S for the wife. I am seriously think about returning the Evo for another S. The S is fast clean and just runs well. I'll lose the screen but save $10 A month and the $200 initial

Originally after sprint told me my phone's usb port could not merit a phone replacement due to custom ROM, I was considering getting an Evo, but after hearing about the Optimus I decided to hold out as I had no practical need for 1gHz processor, nor a front end camera, nor 4g access for a network that doesn't exist in my area. After seeing the Optimus and it's price tag really didn't make sense to me to spend 4x the price [upgrading] to get an evo and pay the 120$ a year.

kekil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarking tests vs Transform, Zio, Hero, and Hero ROMS

I took the time to get benchmarking scores on most of the low to mid-range Sprint phones (Hero, Optimus, Zio, Transform).
Here are my testing results in Google Docs. Here's the spoiler: the Optimus comes out on top.

I've posted this on other topics, but I thought it should go here too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
How about this vs. the Transform? For someone that really wants a physical keyboard, what are they losing in not getting the Optimus?

kekil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How about this vs. the Transform? For someone that really wants a physical keyboard, what are they losing in not getting the Optimus?
You are losing Android 2.2, and the speed and performance that comes along with this great hardware/software combo. I'm not sure how much of the gret performance on Optimus can be attributed to the hardware vs the software, though. Maybe if the Transform was on 2.2, it would perform better? But as you can tell from my benchmarking tests that I posted earlier, the Transform was disappointing. And you will read the same across reviews on the web. After dealing with the Hero for a year, I think the speed of the device is of utmost importance.

Reactions: Jaggrey

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You are losing Android 2.2, and the speed and performance that comes along with this great hardware/software combo. I'm not sure how much of the gret performance on Optimus can be attributed to the hardware vs the software, though. Maybe if the Transform was on 2.2, it would perform better? But as you can tell from my benchmarking tests that I posted earlier, the Transform was disappointing. And you will read the same across reviews on the web. After dealing with the Hero for a year, I think the speed of the device is of utmost importance.
I definitely think speed is important as well. I had the Pre and the lagging started to get annoying. I started getting flashbacks in playing with the Transform.

My lady really wants a physical keyboard tho (and doesn't want the $10 charge), otherwise I'd love to get her on the Optimus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty