Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [Q] Physical button backlight timing

I have my screen backlight set on 30s but my buttons go out way earlier. So if I'm using it in the dark, its hard to remember which button is where. I have to turn off the screen then turn it back on, or press a button to get them back on. The buttons stay lit for 10s or so regardless of if I'm using the phone or not. I couldn't find this setting anywhere.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Tigre2879 View Post
    I have my screen backlight set on 30s but my buttons go out way earlier. So if I'm using it in the dark, its hard to remember which button is where. I have to turn off the screen then turn it back on, or press a button to get them back on. The buttons stay lit for 10s or so regardless of if I'm using the phone or not. I couldn't find this setting anywhere.
    I don't think it can be changed.

Sent from my Optimus T
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Happens when switching phones. your best bet is probably to drill practice random buttons in the light without looking at your phone to get used to it.

This was annoying me until I figured out a great tip - while the button lights are out, press the camera button (on the side of the phone) halfway down - then the lights appear on the buttons.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CyanogenMod 9

This might be fixable in the kernel source. Once we get a kernel dev, perhaps we could take a look at it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I just tried both of the side buttons and if you quick press either one (camera one down fully too), the buttons light up. Thanks Chum
    Pam Pre convert since 11/2010

I just tried both of the side buttons and if you quick press either one (camera one down fully too), the buttons light up. Thanks Chum
    It surely look like we can blink them (with a Kernel change) when a notification comes in.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Default Way to change button backlight timeout?

I've noticed that the button backlight is independent of the screen timeout but locked to about 5 seconds. Its there a way to change this? The leds can't take any more power than the screen so I don't see why the timeout is so short. Running thunderrom 1.5.

Edit: thanks for moving my post. Posting from my phone, with very limited roaming signal, at 3 am, well I guess I missed it. =P
    Last edited by cmags; 12-23-2010 at 09:26 AM.

I've noticed something interesting on this issue: the backlight on the physical buttons turns off as soon as you unlock the phone... if you turn the lights back on with the camera/voice button trick... the light stays on as long as the screen backlight (not sure if this is related to me setting the keyboard backlight to the same timer as the screen). This seems like a minor bug that could be fixed... if the backlight on the buttons was off when the phone is locked and on when the phone is unlocked it would be perfect (use a tiny bit less power when turning on the phone to check the time/notifications and be more convenient when using the phone in the dark).

Something to think about

Default Re: [Q] Physical button backlight timing

Wow I've had this phone since friday and was wondering the same thing till I came to this forum. Then I figuered hmm. All you have to do is turn your auto brightness off and it will turn off on any setting 30 sec etc.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by Chum View Post
    This was annoying me until I figured out a great tip - while the button lights are out, press the camera button (on the side of the phone) halfway down - then the lights appear on the buttons.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

The Optimus T doesn't have a camera button
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by bmoregeniusinc View Post
    Wow I've had this phone since friday and was wondering the same thing till I came to this forum. Then I figuered hmm. All you have to do is turn your auto brightness off and it will turn off on any setting 30 sec etc.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

There is no auto-brightness on the Optimus T