Anyone feel 3G Data is slow compare to other Sprint 3G phones?

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Cpu performance wise this phone is great, but it seems the data radio is a bit slow/weak.

In store I've compared it side by side opening youtube video and websites, the HTC HERO downloads faster than the Optimus.

Another test, I have the GF's sprint htc touch pro 2 side by side in google maps. the touch pro 2 downloads the map data so much faster.

I'm hoping this is a firmware issue!

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I know that it definitely seems slow. My speedtests are horrible on my Optimus compared to my girlfriend's Moment. I almost NEVER get above 0.90 mbps. She gets 1.5+ consistently.

Definitely something goofy going on there.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the Htc Hero,acces to evo and the optimus. Comparing all three of them side by side and the optimus beats both of them. My apps from market even seen to download faster then the evo.The hero isn't even in the same boat.lol
Couple things do you guys have the new radio? It was part of the v9 OTA.
Have you updated your prl and profile lately?
The radio that was in v8 when i got the phone sucked.

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
My range is this:

0.44 - 1.01 mbps DL

0.21 - 0.67 mbps UL.

Girlfriend's Moment...run 1 minute later in the exact same physical spot:

1.04 - 2.38 mbps DL

0.74 - 1.33 mbps UL

Ran 6 tests with each.

nebody00

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It's also slow for me, jumped from an A900 to the Optimus yesterday. Tethering I would get around half the speeds of the A900 averaging .5-.6Mbps DL/ .4Mbps UL

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
20745123.png

Just about the same as I would get on my moment.

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing for me... in HIGH signal areas I get really good speeds (1948 kbps download / 548 upload).

But when data signal is weaker, the phone really suffers compared to Windows mobile phone.

godawgs

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This can be as much a network thing as a phone thing. The network controls the phone in so many ways depending on how constrained it is at that time. Some days at my house I get 1.5 to 1.8 down and 800 up, but then at other times it's much less. This is not a phone issue.....

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
This can be as much a network thing as a phone thing. The network controls the phone in so many ways depending on how constrained it is at that time. Some days at my house I get 1.5 to 1.8 down and 800 up, but then at other times it's much less. This is not a phone issue.....

Again...when you compare two Sprint phones in the same place in the same 10 minute window, it is obviously a phone issue.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Faster than my Palm Centro that I had on Sprint by a significant amount; doing a speed test on the Centro I usually got about 30kbps down and 20kbps up. On my Optimus, I can get about 960-990 down with nothing tying up the connection and 190 or so up on the mobile network.

However since it does seem that the phone doesn't do as well as it should, I decided to do it a test on my home network. Phone was 12.17mbps down, 1.87 up; desktop (at the same time, same spot, and of course, same network) was 23.52 down, 2.03 up. So seems like the phone still isn't fully capable of using all the bandwidth available to it.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Again...when you compare two Sprint phones in the same place in the same 10 minute window, it is obviously a phone issue.

well it may be a "your" phone issue but it is obviously not a "the" phone issue. if it was then everyone would be having the same problem. and i am not. the only time i get low dl speeds is when i am in a bad network area. otherwise it runs just as fast as the moment i had for a year.

godawgs

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Again.... the network is controlling the phone and it's data connection. It could have given the Moment more than the Optimus at that time. Just because 2 phones are sitting side by side doesn't mean they are getting allocated the same resources from the network.....

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Again.... the network is controlling the phone and it's data connection. It could have given the Moment more than the Optimus at that time. Just because 2 phones are sitting side by side doesn't mean they are getting allocated the same resources from the network.....

Think of it this way... at home "the network" is your router. You're basically saying your router is allocated the connection, which is true. BUT it's up to the connected device to retrieve it.

Anyway I've done this side by side @ sprint store. Then at home side by side with my girl's windows mobile phone.

I rarely get 1x logo on my windows mobile phone or HERO, but with this is quite frequent.

AGAIN this is something you would notice in a LOWER signal area, so i'm just saying we possible have a lower signal data radio than other 3G phones.

Someone compared it to the Centro. The Centro is EVDO rev-o this is EVDO rev-a (faster).

I will probably head back to sprint store to compare again.