Phil Vento

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Under Contacts I'd like the option 'Send a text message' to appear for all my contacts with a mobile number entered. This is not happening consistently, some it does others it does not. Please advise.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Under Contacts I'd like the option 'Send a text message' to appear for all my contacts with a mobile number entered. This is not happening consistently, some it does others it does not. Please advise.

Might have something to do with how you have their number entered. First i think the number must be listed as "mobile" for the contact and second i think it must be a full 10 digit phone number. Find a person it's not showing under ... find which of the 2 things i just listed that you might not have, make the change and see if it helps.

EDIT - On second thought, i just noticed i have the SMS image next to each and every single contact, doesn't mattery if its 7 or 10 digits, office, fax, mobile number, everyone has the little green sms box :confused:

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

There should be a little smiley face chat bubble ont he right most side of the line with "Call mobile". Hit that. Thats the Froyo style.

Yeah and as KSmithInNY said, 10 digit needed.

Phil Vento

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FYI I'm coming from many years of captivity via Windoze mobile, this is my first Droid. Your patience and understanding is appreciated. Great forum :)

zefie

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Froyo works. Thank you! However why do some contacts with a mobile number show an option to Send a text message?

no idea, i don't understand most the listed options. I have options to "Chat with AIM" "Chat with Windows Live", most do nothing. Too bad they don't launch Trillian.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Froyo works. Thank you! However why do some contacts with a mobile number show an option to Send a text message?

lol thats what i just said up there /\ I have a person that ONLY has a fax number listed and sms is an option. Probably just a small oversight on googles part when coding the contact.apk. It probably should have dependencies in order to show that sms image such as 10 digits and labeled as mobile.

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
All of my numbers have the little "chat bubble" icons next to the numbers, using the latest version of ThunderROM.

Since this has not been established, I assume you are rooted and flashed or is this factory?

SweetBearCub

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some people aren't aware of this, but at least on Sprint (I can't speak for other carriers), it is possible to send a text message to a landline, as well as a mobile phone, at no extra charge as far as I know. Doing so causes a computer to call the landline and read the message via text-to-speech technology. A few years ago, it used to be handled by a live operator if I recall. I have no idea how replying to such a message would work, as I only did it once for the novelty.

Nonetheless, it would be nice if Android gave us the option to specify which categories of phone numbers were eligible to send text messages to, as not all carriers are limited to only texting mobile phones.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante