Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Problem with phone shutting itself off

Okay, first with the disclaimer. I am a noob to smart phones and typically assume user error when people have tech issues, and other then the issue I am about to bring up, I LOVE this phone.

Last week after having the phone for a few days, I came home and put it on the charger, and about 10 minutes later I need to use it and it would not come up. I took the battery out and it fired up. I charged it over night, and in the morning it did the same thing, I had to pull the battery out and do a "Hard Re-start". I thought about taking it back to Sprint, but thought maybe I had been impatient with it, so I started holding down the home key thinking maybe that was my issue (waking it from sleep, whatever). Well just now I was listening to music on Pandora, screen was up, gotta an email notice which I ignored, Pandora kept playing, and the screen went blank. I thought the screen had timed out, again no biggie. I tried to get it to come up, and it wouldn't. I would have thought it was off, but Pandora was still playing. After the song, Pandora quit. I tried calling it, nothing. Did the hard restart by taking the battery off, and it works fine again. Even though I love the phone, I don't know that I want to deal with that.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having similar issues?

Sorry if that was a rambling statement, but I figured I should give all the info I have.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mook

Remove all your installed apps and change out the SD card. The SD card that came with some phones was causing issues. And as we all know, a poorly coded app can impact a phone negatively.

Run it for a few hours with a different SD card and no apps just to see if it can happen again. Sounds like you can duplicate almost at will (by plugging it in) so try it.

If this fixes it: Slowly introduce the apps back and keep checking it.

If it doesn't: Warranty through Sprint.
    kcmookie likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You are definitely onto something there. My phone kept telling me to install/uninstall teh SD card, after a few days I realized there is a button on the side of the phone that I kept hitting on accident (stupid place for the button FWIW). So I have jacked with the card quite a bit without realizing what I was doing. I will replace it and see if that solves the problem, thanks for the heads up.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

20 hours later with a new SD Card and no problems so far! I will try to keep updating on here.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Unhappy Phone randomly shuts down

First I thought it was the SD Card causing my phone to glitch up because it would try to mount/unmount, and then while charging the phone would shut off and I would have to take the battery off to do a hard restart. Now I have a new SD card, and everythign worked great yesterday, but today it has done this quick restart twice--It reboots to the Android screen and then fires up in about 10 seconds. Twice so far. I am leaning towards taking it back to Sprint unless someone has an idea. The only thing I have is Angry Birds and Beautiful App. HELP!

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I have the same exact issue when I plug it into the charger the next day the phone is off and I have to pull the battery out to make it work again.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Mine has stopped doing that since I got a new SD Card, but now it has done a quick shut down and restart(one time I was actually on the phone). I wish I knew what to do.

As far as I can tell, its some sort of hardware defect that can only be fixed by getting a replacement.

I bought my Optimus S at Best Buy on Black Friday, and was having the same issues, even after formatting or changing the SD card. I got it exchanged for a new one, and it hasn't happened with the new one, using the stock SD card.

Carrier
    CM9 COLD AS ICE

Try to make sure the SD card you replace it with is at least Class 4 or higher, and if possible, made by a company other than Sandisk or Samsung. From what I've gathered from other forums and bug reports from other LG phones, Class 2 SD cards and those made by Sandisk or Samsung seem to be causing the issues.

I bought a 4gb Kingston Class 4 from Amazon for $7 (could be more now) and it has worked very impressively thus far.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I've had this phone for a week and this problem has happened to me once so far where it turned off and I had to do a battery pull to turn it back on again. A couple of days ago I downloaded the LauncherPro app and I haven't noticed any of the problems I was receiving (SD mount/unmount, android app loader force quit) so would that app have anything to do with fixing it?

An unrelated question, but besides the theory that class 4 and higher sd cards are not giving these problems are there any difference between the classes e.g. is a class 4 faster than a class 2? I just bought a class 2 yesterday and I hope I don't have to regret it =\ Thanks

Carrier
    CM9 COLD AS ICE

Quote Originally Posted by phufool View Post
    I've had this phone for a week and this problem has happened to me once so far where it turned off and I had to do a battery pull to turn it back on again. A couple of days ago I downloaded the LauncherPro app and I haven't noticed any of the problems I was receiving (SD mount/unmount, android app loader force quit) so would that app have anything to do with fixing it?

An unrelated question, but besides the theory that class 4 and higher sd cards are not giving these problems are there any difference between the classes e.g. is a class 4 faster than a class 2? I just bought a class 2 yesterday and I hope I don't have to regret it =\ Thanks
    Classes represent different "speed classes"

Taken from Wikipedia:

Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications

Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards

Class 4, 4 MB/s

Class 6, 6 MB/s

Class 10, 10 MB/s

I'm experiencing the same thing with the blank screen. I think the phone is still on because when I hold down the power button, the phone doesn't turn on. The screen blanks out and no matter what button I press, there is no response. Only way to get the phone back on is to remove and replace the battery, followed by pushing the power button to turn on the phone.

I've also been having problems with my SD card automatically unmounting itself. Thing is, I've got a new class 4 card that is not from Samsung or Sandisk and I've formatted it per the instructions on one of the threads. The card is still unmounting itself.

I want to try the new update using LG updater, but there doesn't seem to be a Mac version. I'll have to find a PC...