[How-To] Get rid of the sprint ID button on the launcher

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Getting rid of the Sprint ID icon w/o rooting?

Hey guys, I tried searching and haven't found anything so here I am. I've never owned an android (used BlackBerry all my life almost), and am going to get the Optimus. Is there a way to get rid of that icon dfrom the bottom dock? I don't want to root because it just seems too intimidating to me. And I don't necessarily need to actually get rid of sprint id itself, just the bottom dock icon.

I've heard an app called launcher pro will let you take that icon off and replace it, is this true? If not, is there another way? I'm new to android but not dumb enough to need the ID so any help will be greatly appreciated.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
MatisMarley,

I merged your thread into this one to keep the information in a centralized place.

The gingerbread launcher will absolutely replace the stock launcher hence getting rid of the sprintid button despite what was indicated above. What you'll need to do is download a launcher from the market ... the 2 most popular aftermarket launchers are adw launcher and launcher pro. Two options, if you'd like to keep the vanilla android look and feel are gingerbread launcher and launcher442. GB launcher is pulled from the gingerbread release and launcher442 is pulled from the froyo release.

Either way what you'll want to do is:
1) Go to the market and download a launcher.
2) After launcher is downloaded and installed, hit the home button on the bottom left of your phone (looks like a house)
3) A screen will pop up asking you to chose which "home" you'd like to go to. This is where you should select your newly downloaded launcher.

Note: There is also an option to set the launcher as your default. if you do not chose a default, everytime you hit the home button this screen will pop up and ask you which home you'd like to go to.

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, and sorry about making a new thread, I've been a mod before on various forums and know how frustrating that can be. I tried searching but maybe I overlooked this thread. Thanks for all the help.

I'm definitely getting this phone now after reading about the free tether looparound and now this. It seems like the best non 4g phone out.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, and sorry about making a new thread, I've been a mod before on various forums and know how frustrating that can be. I tried searching but maybe I overlooked this thread. Thanks for all the help.

I'm definitely getting this phone now after reading about the free tether looparound and now this. It seems like the best non 4g phone out.

No problemo, I think I've read every thread on all the optimus forums and still get confused myself :confused:

Try out launchers and see what works for you. There are literally no less than 50 different launchers and home replacements and all have different feature sets and allllllll kinds of stuff you never knew you needed until you found out it was possible lol. Gotta love Android, Not only are you allowed to release an application the duplicates core functionality of the phone, you're encouraged to do it better than google does!

Cheers and good luck with the lauchers and tethering, we'll see you over in the rooting forums soon enough :p lol

Sumpm

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro!! Seriously, it's a freaking awesome launcher. You can specify number of screens, columns and rows per screen, and also add more apps (or anything you like) to the bottom area where the Sprint ID button currently is. That area also swipes independently of the rest, and has 3 screens of its own.

Up to 7 home screens with 25 icons per screen is possible. I currently run 5 screens with 4 columns, 5 rows, and no performance issues.

firelightguitarist

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
i use the gingerbread launcher myself, and i love it. i'd probably love other launchers like launcher pro but, oh well :p though if someone comes out with one that emulates the home screen in webOS... i'd pay for that. i came to android from webOS, and i loved the way it multitasked. i think webOS could've been better than android, but palm didn't handle it properly. they should've sold to google instead of HP. an android/webOS merge would've been epic... anyway, i'm rambling off topic now :p

darktoy

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Easy fix to get rid of SprintID icon in launcher.

I downloaded free Android 2.3 Launcher from Market and when choosing it as my default launcher it replaced the SprintID menu icon with the green Browser icon link.

Don't pay for app as there is a paid version, the app is free and taken from the Nexus S 2.3 OS.

The Android 2.3 Launcher also has settings to set up 3D app drawer but that feature doesn't work, well it sort of does but it is off centered.

I also downloaded free LiveWallpaper from Gingerbread which is from the Nexus S.

To take the screenshot I downloaded ShootMe (Screen Grabber).

There you go, even though SprintID is still there somewhere in the background it is no longer visible on Launcher making for an almost stock Android experience.

The DragonTJH

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Say that you are a big dummy and get a quick trigger finger and set the standard launcher as default. (Ok, so I'm the big dummy)
How would you go back and set the Gingerbread launcher as the default? Is there a place to change that?