[APP] Roam Control Optimus (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Here is a basic beta application that gives you access to roam control. Please report any bugs in this thread.

Also, this application is now featured in Reborn ROM, give it a shot. It also needs a lot more work because I am by no means an application developer and learned everything you see here in the last two days.

If this helped you out remember to thank my post.

EDIT: The updated app with new icon and name is called LS670_Roaming.apk (thanks zefie).

Last edited:

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations Nick, you're now a ROM cooker AND app developer :).

I already had access because I use LauncherPro, but downloaded this and it seems to work great. I'll delete my shortcut in favor of this app, because now if I switch launchers I'll still have it.

Now code us a toggle widget :D!

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That's the plan. I'm glad that it worked. I did not even get a chance to test it so I'm surprised that everything is working correctly. I should have a new Optimus by tomorrow afternoon. Until then I can read up on app/widget development and get ready for the work week.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Kinda scares me that you bricked your phone...hopefully not indicative of your app coding skills! ;)

Cool that you're looking into widget development....I looked at it a bit, wondering if I could do it myself, but with no programming experience whatsoever, I don't think it's something I can pick up in a few days...

Sent from my Optimus S...excuse the spelling mistakrs

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I didn't get a chance to test this because I perma-bricked my phone, so I am going to hold off on putting it in my ROM. It also needs a lot more work because I am by no means an application developer and learned everything you see here in the last two days.

Anyways, here is a basic beta application that gives you access to roam control. Please report any bugs in this thread. If this helped you out remember to thank my post.

Does this offer Roam only?

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Roam Control on the market uses the same/similar exploit that I do.. Guess I'll never know.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I figured as much...I wonder is there a way to code for Android on a Mac? I've ALWAYS wanted to learn how...any tips?

Yeah- its all based on java and platform agnostic.

Get yourself the Eclipse environment, its free and the one Google recommends (so most of their guides are using Eclipse for screenshots, etc). Available for just about any computing platform in existence.

Then, download the SDK for mac, and start reading the tutorials. I would recommend getting a good book (Android development for Dummies, etc) because its easier to follow along than reading the tutorials online when you're just starting out.

Good job on the app, Nick! Post to the market yet?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain what this app exactly does? Thank you.

I have times when I only have 1 bar sprint signal, and it occasionally flicks over to roam, which will have more bars. This is annoying, because it's constantly going back and forth, and making calls while on the weak Sprint signal causes dropped calls, etc. In that situation, I'd lock it into Roam so it stops trying to connect to the weak sprint signal.

This app is just a shortcut to allow you to access the menu with the "Roam only" option so you can lock it into roam.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have times when I only have 1 bar sprint signal, and it occasionally flicks over to roam, which will have more bars. This is annoying, because it's constantly going back and forth, and making calls while on the weak Sprint signal causes dropped calls, etc. In that situation, I'd lock it into Roam so it stops trying to connect to the weak sprint signal.

This app is just a shortcut to allow you to access the menu with the "Roam only" option so you can lock it into roam.

Exactly. I find it is also very useful if driving through an area with spotty signal, and you want to make sure you don't drop the call during your drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome