[APP] Roam Control Optimus (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
i was about to say that VM doesn't have free roaming. i can't imagine it would be good to force roaming on a device that doesn't have roaming as one of it's services.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
i was about to say that VM doesn't have free roaming. i can't imagine it would be good to force roaming on a device that doesn't have roaming as one of it's services.

I wonder if PRL hack would work though. It makes the phone recognize roaming towers as it's own, but shows up on the bill as roaming. Could be dangerous..

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Nick,
Does the PRL make the phone recognize foreign towers as native even without changing the Home NID and SID on the phone? Mine is currently set to 04139 which is Sprint.
Even if it does register without the roaming indicator, since the ESN is probably not recognized by the Verizon towers, you'd probably get a message welcoming you to the American Roaming Network which asks you if you want to enter a credit card or place a collect call.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am sure you can trick the phone into using a roaming tower. However when you make a call, there is stuff that goes on in the back-end to authenticate your phone. Unless that stuff is set up at Sprint, it won't go through. You'll get some error message like "not able to authenticate" or equivalent.

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Roam Control does not allow you to roam on 3G data unless Sprint allows you to explicitly do so in their PRL (eg. Alltel)
If you really want to roam 3G in those areas, you must use the Verizon PRL hack in this forum.
Do note that you will still be restricted to the roaming limits set forth by Sprint (300 MB data and/or 800 minutes voice and/or 50% of your voice minutes)
Hope this information is helpful to you.

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if this app still works after the 3/17 firmware upgrade for Optimus S - LS670ZVD?

On some other forums, folks are saying it adds Flash support and some other things which might be nice, but I rely on the Roam Control app at work to get a usable signal!

guitarjac

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I'm no longer getting a data connection on roam only, still roams and works on the any setting. Doing this on both t. R. And nROM running vd..... worked great for a while.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
For some reason I'm no longer getting a data connection on roam only, still roams and works on the any setting. Doing this on both t. R. And nROM running vd..... worked great for a while.

Works for me. Make sure you enabled data roaming in Network Settings.