Is there a way to assign a hard button to camera?

oraphus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Basically wandering if i can assign for example the "search" hard button to as the shutter activation button to take pics with while in camera mode? I hate using the screen button.

is there an app on the optimus S that will allow me to do that.. if not what app can i use?

ltrz

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
umm..maybe im not reading ur question correctly but.....on the right side of the phone. there is a camera button (hard button).

unless u mean as rearranging what the buttons do. there is a thread about doing that.

BBguy08

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think he wants the button to take the photo not launch the camera app. It is kinda annoying pressing the screen to take the picture.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Agreed- touch screen shutter buttons suck!

Sometimes I want to take a self portrait, and I can't because I keep pressing the #$@! wrong part of the display! At the very least, the camera app should trigger the shutter wherever I press on the preview image (I think the Touch Pro did that, but I may be mistaken. Besides, the TP had a giant D-Pad enter button to press).

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm not understanding the issue but the camera button is a two stage button. Hold it part way down to focus, press all the way down to release the shutter.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Uh, the button on the side IS a shutter button. It launches the camera, and acts as a shutter button.

Once the camera is running, push the camera button on the side down halfway, and it will focus. Push it the rest of the way, and it will take a picture. Or, just mash it down and it will focus, THEN take a picture.

cheeseburger

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How about this? That button used to operate as described here. Now, after installing Handcent that button opens a window to start a new text message.
Anybody know how to reverse it without uninstalling the app?

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
How about this? That button used to operate as described here. Now, after installing Handcent that button opens a window to start a new text message.

There is an option in Handcent to enable/disable that.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

You may have at some point recently taken a picture, looked at it in the gallery directly from the camera app, shared it via handcent, then finally just hit the home button to be done with the process.

However, the process is still running, so when you go into the camera, it is still in texting mode. Hit back and you'll get to the main handcent screen, again and you'll get to the picture, again, to the camera.

Yes this is annoying. My only gripes with this phone or more accurately, android, are the camera and gallery apps.

What's this about an option to disable this in handcent?

Edit: found it - Handcent -> Menu button -> Settings -> Send message settings -> Trigger camera button.

This may be causing your issue if it's enabled - disable it. This is not a fix for what I described above however.

adonice

May 8, 2012
Visit site
My droid pro initially defaulted to a calendar when i pressed the side button. I finally figured how to change that to launch the camera instead of the calendar. However, it does not allow me to take a picture when i press it. ive tried the advice given above...holding it halfway to focus then all the way to take the pic. it looks like its taking a pic on the screen but its not. i can only use the aggrivating shutter button on the screen which makes me crazy! I am so frustrated with this phone after only 4 days.:(

hovawart

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
In the past I saw a way to assign shutter release function to the "button on the side," which is the screen on/off/sleep button, but I didn't choose it, and now I wish to. Until I do, the button just shuts the screen off.