FYI.. LG says they will update Optimus to GINGERBREAD

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone is not rooted but I may do it in the future. Why would doing an OTA now be a problem if I want to root in the future?

An OTA may close the current hole in the code that allows for rooting.

As things stand now, you have a reliable root option, with multiple ROMs and apps developed for the current platform. Once an update is installed, especially a major one such as Gingerbread, that ability to root will have to be rediscovered all over again.

HeXDeMoN

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
He is just saying if there is a update you may not be able to root it until someone finds a new method. So dont update it if you plan on rooting it at least until someone finds that new method.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Because the phones are not meant to be rooted (aside from the "pure Google" phones, from what I hear). That means that in order to root them, we have to exploit a security vulnerability. If we can exploit it to gain root access, so can someone else, and that does leave a potential for abuse. On top of that, rooted phones allow users to do things that can brick their phones, which the users often cover up as "I was accepting an OTA update and this happened" (just look through the forums if you don't believe me). So carriers will want to remove the ability for us to root.

Thus when you get an OTA update, they may have fixed the exploit we were using to root the phone, and thus you won't be able to root.

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
can you please list the steps to take to stop your phone from receiving the OTA updates?
And is this already set in ThunderROM 1.6.2?
My question also, I am running stock, but want to keep the "root" option available for future considerations. When OTA updates come, do we have a choice on the phone, to accept them, or not? Or is it automatic?
thanks,
Jim

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
My question also, I am running stock, but want to keep the "root" option available for future considerations. When OTA updates come, do we have a choice on the phone, to accept them, or not? Or is it automatic?
thanks,
Jim

You should have the option to accept or not, just as you did the v9 upgrade that came out. Remember?

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
The automatic updates don't automatically install. They download to your cache partition and prompt you to install when complete. You can say "no."

zcostilla

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Its early feb I want my gingerbread

I popped into my local Sprint store on Monday and asked about Gingerbread update for the Optimus S, and she gave me a deer in the headlights look. She looked in the playbook that they use for supposedly insider information not released to the public, and said that there wasn't anything in the works. Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO.

So then I asked about the fact that LG supposedly wants to stay ahead of the game to remain an up-and-coming player in the android market so their goal was to provide better support, and she blows me off like that's a novel idea that will never see the real world.

I think she just didn't like not know all of the answers. She didn't even mention the update their pushing now, so I doubt her playbook is useful at all.

krakmunkey

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I popped into my local Sprint store on Monday and asked about Gingerbread update for the Optimus S, and she gave me a deer in the headlights look. She looked in the playbook that they use for supposedly insider information not released to the public, and said that there wasn't anything in the works. Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO.

So then I asked about the fact that LG supposedly wants to stay ahead of the game to remain an up-and-coming player in the android market so their goal was to provide better support, and she blows me off like that's a novel idea that will never see the real world.

I think she just didn't like not know all of the answers. She didn't even mention the update their pushing now, so I doubt her playbook is useful at all.

Since when are sales persons ever helpful with high level technical questions. That goes for any store on just about any product. Thats why forums exist.

mgsfoxhound2

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
yes Optimus V is out now but for now only at radio shack for $150 awsome deal since the specs are the same as optimus S and V even uses the same cell towers Sprint!

KMfiremedic111

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
"Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO. "

High end flagship phones? They haven't even got 2.2 yet!!! Someone dropped the ball big time by not giving those phones an update to 2.2 asap. I strongly believe we will get 2.3 on the Optimus S soon enough. It is such a popular phone that we will at least get a couple or a few more android and firmware updates before the Optimus S gets "old" in terms of cell phones and they simply stop updating their "older model" phones. They can't update them for ever, but we will get taken care of for a little while longer.

sabauman

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
"Then she said that she doubted a "low end" phone like the optimus would get Gingerbread before the "high end flagship phones" like the EVO. "

High end flagship phones? They haven't even got 2.2 yet!!! Someone dropped the ball big time by not giving those phones an update to 2.2 asap. I strongly believe we will get 2.3 on the Optimus S soon enough. It is such a popular phone that we will at least get a couple or a few more android and firmware updates before the Optimus S gets "old" in terms of cell phones and they simply stop updating their "older model" phones. They can't update them for ever, but we will get taken care of for a little while longer.

The EVO is selling with 2.2 now.