Optimus S: Remove Battery Cover

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
This is incredible. I just took my new Optimus S out of the box, went online to activate it, and was reminded, correctly, to install and charge the battery first. But...

The Get Started guide says “Remove the battery compartment cover on the back of the device.” But it doesn’t say how. Neither does the printed or online PDF Basics Guide. No problem, I’ll just watch an unboxing video like youtube.com/watch?v=9PHBtFh9KCY. But, as if I’ve been hexed, YouTube suddenly doesn’t work either! And what’s more, Sprint’s online support chat says they’re busy!

So I’m sitting here with a brand new Optimus and can’t figure out how to install the frikkin’ battery. Help!

Sincerely, Embarrassed

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
This is incredible. I just took my new Optimus S out of the box, went online to activate it, and was reminded, correctly, to install and charge the battery first. But...

The Get Started guide says ?Remove the battery compartment cover on the back of the device.? But it doesn?t say how. Neither does the printed or online PDF Basics Guide. No problem, I?ll just watch an unboxing video like youtube.com/watch?v=9PHBtFh9KCY. But, as if I?ve been hexed, YouTube suddenly doesn?t work either! And what?s more, Sprint?s online support chat says they?re busy!

So I?m sitting here with a brand new Optimus and can?t figure out how to install the frikkin? battery. Help!

Sincerely, Embarrassed

At the top edge of the phone, directly above the camera lens is a slot for your fingernail. Use your fingernail to gently pry off the back of the phone.

Bone_Enterprise

Nov 12, 2010
www.digital-ops.net
It is fairly obvious if you look in the right place.

With the phone facing towards you:
1) Look at the top of the phone, then to the right of the headphone jack, you will see a small slit/gap located on the backplate of the phone

2) Insert a small flat head screwdriver or something else slim you can wedge in the small open space you see, pry GENTLY down towards the phone and it will pop off to enough to where you can remove the rest of it with ease.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Chapter two, even more amazing: I did chat with Sprint support and they couldn’t find the answer to my question. They suggested that I go the nearest Sprint Store. I’m not going nowhere today, so I’m counting on you for my life to continue...

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You actually have to pull pretty hard on that slot, at least on mine....just yank, you won't break anything.

Chapter two, even more amazing: I did chat with Sprint support and they couldn’t find the answer to my question. They suggested that I go the nearest Sprint Store. I’m not going nowhere today, so I’m counting on you for my life to continue...

Wow, hilarious.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks and thanks. That’s where I started thinking it was, but didn’t to pry without proper authorization.

And now YouTube works. The dark cloud has passed.

Last edited:

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Just for kicks, here’s the informative chat I had with Sprint:

"Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Irene B."
"Just got a brand new Optimus S. Step one is remove the battery cover and install the battery. But it doesn’t say, anywhere, how to do that."
"I am happy to assist you with locating that information."
"Goody!"
"Please give me a moment to look into it."
"Okay"
"I'm still researching that information for you. Thanks for your patience."
"Thank you for your patience, I will have that information shortly."
"To install the battery, please perform the below given steps."
"Install the Battery
1. Remove the battery compartment cover on the back of the device.
2. Align the battery???s contacts with those inside the battery compartment and gently press down until the battery is seated.
3. Replace the back cover."
"And to get the battery charge, please follow:"
"Charge the Battery
1. Insert the USB cable into the charging head.
2. Insert the small end of the USB cable into the Charger/Accessory Jack.
3. Plug the charging head into a standard AC power outlet."
"That’s what I just read: 1. Remove the battery compartment cover on the back of the device."
"HOW do I remove the cover?"
"Let me check again."
"One moment please."
"I'm still researching that information for you. Thanks for your patience."
"I’m thinking it’s so easy that they didn’t bother saying it, but here we are."
"I understand your frustration and apologize for the inconvenience."
"I have researched all the user guide of your phone but there is no way mentioned in details how to remove cover, so I would suggest you to please visit the Sprint store to get it removed as it can be removed manually."
"I hope you understand that it cannot be done on chat."
"Yes I understand, and amazed at the same time. Adios..."
"I am really sorry."
Session Ended

heckufaguy

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I found it easier to twist a small flat screw driver in the battery door popping it open, then pulling. I'm a big guy, when I pull stuff that hard I end up with phone parts.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Usually I find it best not to poke my phone with a pointy object tbh :p It really does come off with your bare hands, you just have to yank a bit.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Lol this is funny.

I use my fingers. I can pop the back off using one thumb. I pop it out a little on the top to start it then I pop the sides and it all falls apart for me. Being that its meant to pop off I don't think anything is going to break there

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

jwp1223

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny, that he can't figure out how to do most of this on his own...I am reading all of his post and I just burying my face into my palms each time.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I find it funny, that he can't figure out how to do most of this on his own...I am reading all of his post and I just burying my face into my palms each time.

Some people are more cautious than others. After just spending money/committing to a contract for many years for a fancy new electronic device, some people are hesitant to apply physical force to said device.

He was just being cautious, and when he hit a roadblock he asked for help. There's nothing wrong with that.

v0mitr0n

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I hear that .. when I first got the Optimus I was searching on youtube for the proper way to open this thing. I knew how to take off the cover, but it seemed like you needed to apply unusually excessive force. I didn't feel like snapping the case in half on the first day, so I can definitely relate to the OP.
The instructions should say "yank the **** out of the back cover 'til it violently snaps off"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams