[?] How do you use Voice Memo / Note to self

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Time for a new stupid question: All the spec sheets tout the Optimus as having a built-in Voice Memo function, no additional apps required. But I can?t find any mention of it in the manuals or poking around the phone. Someone please fix me...

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I THINK they are talking about the "Note to self" thing.

Longpress the voice button, (side of the phone, next to camera button), say "note to self", say stuff. It will get emailed to you.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried your trick, thank you. I said, “Note to self. Figure this damn thing out.” It replied with a window that asked if I wanted to call 615-298-2882. But no email came back. Even if it did, that would be technology gone wild -- all I want is to record my voice for later playback. Sheesh!

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
And then I tried one of its suggested commands. I said, “Open calendar.” And of course, it asked if I wanted to call Tony Shaw at work.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL... That would be the logical conclusion. But, no Tony is a name in my Contacts list that just happens to work at a place whose company name the list completely ignores. Voice Memos may be lesson the local Sprint can teach me, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I ended up pulling an app from the market called Voice Memo, of all things. It just does, simply but awkwardly, what the phone was supposed to do out of the box.

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
I've had the same results. The button on the side of the phone appears to just be a voice dialer. The Voice Search app (with the microphone icon) will email your "note to self" text, as well as your recorded message as an attachment.

Reactions: apinkel

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Weird stuff, that’s using a third app too, for something that should be a built-in part of the phone. Anyway, if anyone’s interested, I got VoiuceMemo by JavaCodeLand. Funky, but works great.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same results. The button on the side of the phone appears to just be a voice dialer. The Voice Search app (with the microphone icon) will email your "note to self" text, as well as your recorded message as an attachment.

I did not know that was there... that's kind of nifty. I was looking for a voice memo app in the past, this isn't exactly what I was looking for but it's close enough... and the voice to text processing is surprisingly good.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You long press the search button (looks like magnifying glass) on the bottom of the phone. When the voice screen pops up say "note to self". It will open an email-ish looking screen. Hit the microphone on the bottom and talk. It will email it to you transcribed into text with a recording attached.

Edit- the recording is of you saying "note to self" which seems rather pointless lol

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh, there it is, sort of. I confirmed that you don’t have to say “note to self” first. It just transcribes whatever I say, very accurately in this case, then sends it to Google search. Overkill in my case, but very moderne.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh, there it is, sort of. I confirmed that you don?t have to say ?note to self? first. It just transcribes whatever I say, very accurately in this case, then sends it to Google search. Overkill in my case, but very moderne.

If you just say something random after long pressing the magnifying glass, it google searches it.

If you say "Note to self pick up milk", it emails "pick up milk" to you.

If you say "Navigate 123 West St.", it starts up the navigator app and takes you to 123 West street, (note that saying "Navigate to 123 West St." usually results in it trying to take you to 2123 West St...)

If you say "Text Ashley see you soon", it sends ashley a text saying see you soon...

and so on.

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a cave in the stone age, this stuff is amazing. But I still wind up using that dopey voice memo recorder I got at the market, like a proper caveman.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech