Going to purchase Optimus S today, online,questions?

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have delayed my purchase of the Optimus S for too long(missed out on "free" purchase back in Dec :-( ), so am going to purchase it today, online, and beat the $10 increase fee.(for 24 months anyway). What accessories should I purchase, and where should I get them? I am a farmer/rancher, so my phones sometimes are not treated too gingerly. I understand the screen is plastic, so some type of cover is warranted? How about something to make it less fragile, like a body glove of some sort? Appreciate the replys.
coadman

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd grab a Zagg screen protector. They offer a lifetime protection against scratches (though admittedly I haven't turned it in yet). I work in a meat market and the protector has taken a few whacks from a box cutter (just when I put it back too fast and forget to fully sheath it) and the scratches that result are barely noticable.

As for a case, I have a full body plastic case which I picked up at a mall for $10. Easy to put on/take off, and, while the case looks messed up all over the place from getting scratched/dropped/etc, the phone looks like I just took it out of the box. Phone has taken a few beatings, from being dropped to taking a direct whack in the screen more than once while I was moving around with it in my pocket, and some minor bending stress (but like I said, the phone looks like it's brand new).

Can take some moisture - I play music from time to time while I shower, so it gets steamed (no I don't take it in the shower), and I also managed to spill some tea on it. No issues from that as far as I can tell (though the screen got all fuzzy until I could find something to properly clean the screen after all that tea). Have not tried getting it really wet though (and will not try it)

As for temperature, if it's really cold (below freezing) keep it in your pocket. Some people have reported instability at higher temperatures, though I'll leave it charging at work (in a 45 degree meat cooler) with no issues; however taking it outside and trying to use it in 16 degree weather resulted in constant crashing. Phone stopped crashing when I put it away and left it in my pocket for a bit.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Zagg and for most folks I don't recommend them since they tend to be a bit tacky which makes scrolling on the screen a bit annoying. But, given your situation, I think they are the best option. They are made of 3M car-bra material. They adhere well, are very durable, and are self healing (within reason) if you do scratch them a bit.

stygshore

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Zagg? really?

I do not prefer the Zagg screen protectors, i find them a little too "sticky" when dealing with touch screens.

I much prefer the Phantom skinz covers for touch screens. I know i cant post links, but Google is your friend.

Styg

sabauman

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
About the screen.... This is conversation with LG Mobile Support:

1:44 PM Stephanie: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
1:45 PM Guest: I purchased and LG Optimus S and I would like to know if the touchscreen is tempered glass like the rest of the optimus one phones
1:46 PM Stephanie: I would be happy to help you with that.
1:46 PM Guest: thank you
1:47 PM Stephanie: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?
1:48 PM Guest: sure
1:48 PM Stephanie: Thank you.
1:54 PM Stephanie: Thank you for your patience while I researched that for you.
1:54 PM Stephanie: Yes, they all have the same screen type.
1:55 PM Guest: so the optimus S then has tempered glass screen?
1:55 PM Stephanie: Yes, that is correct!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
About the screen.... This is conversation with LG Mobile Support:

They provided you inaccurate information. Here's a conversation between myself and an LG rep on Nov 11th

10:31 AM Stephanie: Hello K.P.. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
10:31 AM K.P.: Hello, i own the Sprint LG optimus S LGLS670. Can you please tell me what material the screen is made of? Wondering if its glass or plastic
10:32 AM Stephanie: I would be happy to help you with that.
10:32 AM Stephanie: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?
10:32 AM K.P.: yes
10:33 AM Stephanie: Thank you!
10:34 AM Stephanie: Thank you for your patience while I researched that for you.
10:34 AM Stephanie: Is fiber glass.

Additionally, press down on the screen (DONT PRESS TOO HARD!! It's fiber glass so it's going to flex all the way down and hit the screen underneath). See and feel that bowing/flexing? Now grab an HTC hero or HTC dinc or any samsung phone and on and on and on ... try the same thing. Notice the difference? They don't bow or flex at all, you'll break your finger before you get that glass to flex. It's because those phones either use a tempered glass or cornings gorilla glass.

P.S. Anyone find it weird my rep's name was stephanie also?!?! lol

EDIT - It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway. Don't sit there and press hard on the screen because you'll a) break it or b) screw up the screen under neath. When i say push on it i mean use your thumb and it only takes a could lbs of pressure.

Last edited:

sabauman

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Additionally, press down on the screen (DONT PRESS TOO HARD!! It's fiber glass so it's going to flex all the way down and hit the screen underneath). See and feel that bowing/flexing? Now grab an HTC hero or HTC dinc or any samsung phone and on and on and on ... try the same thing. Notice the difference? They don't bow or flex at all, you'll break your finger before you get that glass to flex. It's because those phones either use a tempered glass or cornings gorilla glass.

HOLY CRAP! Are you kidding me? I just did this and my friggin screen SHATTERED!!!! I didn't think fiberglass would shatter like that!

Really great advise dood!!! }:(

J/K :-D

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
HOLY CRAP! Are you kidding me? I just did this and my friggin screen SHATTERED!!!! I didn't think fiberglass would shatter like that!

Really great advise dood!!! }:(

J/K :-D

lol yah yah yah! Just a little push on it should do the trick. Couple pounds of pressure and that things flexing.

Added a disclaimer to that post because you know someone will end up pushing their thumb right through it

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

O.T. here, but I don't know how many of you have ordered Domino's pizza online and used the order tracker, but every single time I order, Salvatore makes my pizza. He must work there every day and every night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch