Newbie - am I missing out by not rooting?

duffeymt

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Optimus and have been doing some reading - I have no idea what rooting it means, but am I missing out on optimal settings/usage if I use it as is out of the box? Is there a link for a newbie explaining what that is and why you would want to or not want to do it?

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I mainly rooted my Optimus S to get more internal storage. Performance does increase too with either ThundeROM or nROM. Read up on rooting in the hacking and rooting section to learn how and why. Either way it's a great device.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

O.a.T.

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up the Optimus and have been doing some reading - I have no idea what rooting it means, but am I missing out on optimal settings/usage if I use it as is out of the box? Is there a link for a newbie explaining what that is and why you would want to or not want to do it?

Yes! Yes. I urge you to continue Googling/reading.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Yea spend some time with your phone the way it is. When you learn about rooting and think you like it, then go for it. Definitely not something to rush into right away. There's plenty of info you can research in the forums on rooting.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Rooting just gives you access to the root system files on you device so you can make changes. It can help depending on how you use your device. Check the Rooting section on the main site for a lot of information if you haven't already. Great Q&A to help you decide if rooting is for you.

chardog

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I havent had the need to root my device, coming from a wm flashing frenzy, and jailbroken and unlocked iphones. Start off with clean ID, add few apps:

Launcher pro, disable side to side launcher scrollling, set home menu button to home, and enable scrolling past last page to first page.
dialer one? cant recall, but an updated dialer that does t9 contact searches
handshake sms

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I havent had the need to root my device, coming from a wm flashing frenzy, and jailbroken and unlocked iphones. Start off with clean ID, add few apps:

Launcher pro, disable side to side launcher scrollling, set home menu button to home, and enable scrolling past last page to first page.
dialer one? cant recall, but an updated dialer that does t9 contact searches
handshake sms

ditto, though I've only had my phone for less than a month. however, I have insurance on it and from what I understand, if I ever use said insurance to fix any issues I have with it down the line, I'd have to unroot before taking it in. which doesn't look that hard, but so far android apps are giving me enough customization as it is and I don't feel held back any so far, so I won't root (and use a different rom) unless I feel the need for a performance boost down the road.

I second all of those suggestions, though I don't have dialer one and the go launcher is a fantastic launcher as well. I'm using go sms (which is fantastic) instead of handcent because handcent would send gibberish to a contact I text a lot. most people don't have that problem with handcent, and aside from that it's a great app, so you'll probably be fine.

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got my evolution back in July andwas content on how it was...I went through all the launchers, tweaks,and customization app I could... I was still content but still was entrigued by the thought of rooting. Then on new years eve I made the jump...it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be ... I even made a few mistakes that caused my phone to continually boot loop...but the forums came to my aid and I've been enjoying all the Roms I can... I'm currently running cyanogen mod and I can usually get through a day and a half before having to charge...which we all know is awesome...it took me almost 6 months to finally take that leap but I haven't looked back since... just my two cents though...

Life is about EVOlution

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion - rooting is optional never a necessity. For me it's an option that I choose not too.

The decision solely belongs to you.

Choose wisely. Good-luck.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If there is something you need to do that requires root then go for it, but this phone is pretty darn slick right out of the box so you aren't missing that much by leaving it stock.

I did root mine for a couple reasons... I wanted to be able to do full system backups so I can reload a known good working configuration if I happen to mess up my phone... and I've got 3 large apps that sucked my available memory down to nothing (I loaded thunderrom to gain a bunch more space on my phone).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae