New Optimus arrived today..:-)

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Received my new Optimus S today, first android phone I have ever tried. Is there any "steps" I should avoid when just starting to manage my phone? I ordered a larger memory card, but it hasnt arrived yet, should I wait until it does arrive, or use the one provided?
thanks,
Jim

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Received my new Optimus S today, first android phone I have ever tried. Is there any "steps" I should avoid when just starting to manage my phone? I ordered a larger memory card, but it hasnt arrived yet, should I wait until it does arrive, or use the one provided?
thanks,
Jim

Welcome to the forum.

There is a 2GB SD card that ships with the Optimus but it is known to cause some issues, so it's a good thing that you ordered a new one. Other than that the Optimus S is great out of the box.

If you are interested, we also have a good amount of development going on for the Optimus S that provides various enhancements and features.

Enjoy,
Nick.

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to get into the main menu to enable my moble sync to download my contacts prior to activating(at least per Sprints online intructions). But unfortunately, I cannot get into the main menu. When I hit the home button or menu key, I get message ""Please wait while we set up your device services" then it continues and nothing happens. I shouldnt have to put the memory card in, just to do this part, correct? Any ideas?
thanks,

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to get into the main menu to enable my moble sync to download my contacts prior to activating(at least per Sprints online intructions). But unfortunately, I cannot get into the main menu. When I hit the home button or menu key, I get message ""Please wait while we set up your device services" then it continues and nothing happens. I shouldnt have to put the memory card in, just to do this part, correct? Any ideas?
thanks,

I don't believe that the Optimus S supports mobile sync. Android syncs contacts, calender events, etc. through a Gmail account.

If you have a large amount of contacts, you can set up a Gmail account and take both phones to a Sprint service center and they will transfer the contacts for you and they will sync up with your Gmail account.

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
nearest Sprint dealership is 60 miles away, as I live in a rural area. According to Sprint online, after I typed in the hex # of the phone, it said moble sync is compatable with phone. I cannot even get into the main menu, to enable the moble sync option. ;-(

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
nearest Sprint dealership is 60 miles away, as I live in a rural area. According to Sprint online, after I typed in the hex # of the phone, it said moble sync is compatable with phone. I cannot even get into the main menu, to enable the moble sync option. ;-(

Sprint lies lol. But you can:

If you can export your contacts to csv or vcard format from mobile sync you can then import them into google contacts (or hotmail contacts if you already use hotmail for email/contacts).

And what do you mean by you can't get into the menu?

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I press the menu button and what comes up on the screen is this "Please wait while we set up your device services..." Then there is a "cicle" that is revolving, and the bottom of the screen there is a message "Tap Mnue>Sprint Zone if you are experiencing difficulties" If I tap the menu button rapidly, the main menu flashes on the screen for a second, they goes away and I have the above message again "Please wait while we set up your device services...:

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I press the menu button and what comes up on the screen is this "Please wait while we set up your device services..." Then there is a "cicle" that is revolving, and the bottom of the screen there is a message "Tap Mnue>Sprint Zone if you are experiencing difficulties" If I tap the menu button rapidly, the main menu flashes on the screen for a second, they goes away and I have the above message again "Please wait while we set up your device services...:

Yeah activation takes a while sometimes :p

coadman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
You are correct, Sir, it is not activated yet! I am trying to activate it online, and one of the steps, prior to activating is to go into main menu and settings, and enable moble sync, prior to going ahead with the activation process. Just following their instructions, as I really dont want to lose all my contacts, and do not want to drive the 60 miles to a Sprint store to have them do so. I guess I could call their help line and have them talk me through it, but sometimes I only understand English! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith