Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is your Optimus's proximity sensor as completely broken as mine?

    I'm trying to decide if I should bother trying to go through the hassle of getting this thing exchanged (especially since I'll have to revert to stock, unroot, etc). But, at least on mine, very frequently the phone application freaks out so much after you dial and connect on a number, that it's starting to become unbearable. In other words:

    1) While going into the dialer app and picking a number, everything is fine.
    2) While the connecting call is still ringing, everything is fine
    3) As SOON as the call connects, very frequently the screen will immediately go off, but not always. Seems to perhaps be worse during the daytime? I thought this was a PROXIMITY sensor, not a light sensor?
    4) I can often get the screen to come back on for a few seconds after moving it around in different positions, but frequently the screen will turn back off just as quickly.

    Is anyone else having problems this bad? When I'm not trying to use the phone as a speakerphone and pressing numbers (something I have to do every Friday for a telecon) it's fine. I could care less if the screen stays off when its up against my ear... that's expected behavior. But when I'm holding it a good 18 inches from my face (with NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING covering or anywhere near the proximity sensor...not even a screen cover at the moment) and it still goes off all the time (at least a good 50% of the time this all happens), that seems busted to me.

    I've asked about this before, and the replies I got were just "Yeah, Android proximity sensors suck." SERIOUSLY? I can't imagine everyone's phone is THIS unusable... but if so, then fine, I won't bother trying to get a replacement. I'm dreading that because it often DOES work fine at night, or in regular lighting. It seems that the sun frequently makes it much more likely to show this behavior. So, the odds are quite high that the damn thing will work perfectly fine when I take it to the Sprint store and try to show them.

    Is there perhaps some plan add-on you can get where you can just outright request a replacement (and they won't argue with you about definitely proving how "broken" you phone is right in front of them)? I'm pretty much at the end of my rope with this thing, which really sucks, since I LOVE the phone other than this issue.

    Thanks in advance to any opinions/advice.
  2. #2  

    Default

    This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you checked your screen timeout settings?

    Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    trekkie1701c's Avatar

    Posts
    275 Posts
    ROM
    CM10

    Default

    I haven't had too many issues with it. Sometimes when my head is close to it, it will go off, but normally that isn't an issue. Sunlight doesn't seem to have much of an effect, but then again normally I don't use the speaker phone in the sun.

    Did find out though, that if I'm trying to force the screen to stay on after the proximity sensor turned it off, I'll end up turning it off again... so I'd be patient when trying to do that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaXXimus View Post
    This might be a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway. Have you checked your screen timeout settings?

    Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Well, since there's no setting for "instantaneous" probably doesn't matter But yeah, I have them set to 30 seconds anyway. This certainly isn't related to that. When my phone's screen never goes off when I don't want it to unless it's an app that uses the proximity sensor (like the dialer). If you could just disable the thing entirely I'd be perfectly happy with it, as I'm more than capable of hitting the screen lock button prior to putting the phone up against my face. But, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that on this phone.
  5. #5  
    apinkel's Avatar

    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

    Default

    That sounds like bad hardware. I would take the phone back to sprint.

    On mine, if I'm on a call I can hold my hand up to the top of the phone, watch the screen shut off, pull my hand away and see it turn right back on. It has always worked consistently, I don't ever remember having it work incorrectly.
  6. #6  

    Default

    My wife's 1st optimus had a freaky proximity sensor. Whenever she was on a phone call, all of a sudden the phone would either go on mute or speakerphone. When we went to the sprint store to get it swapped out with a replacement, the technician there couldn't reproduce the issue. My wife took the phone, dialed a number and while she put the phone to her head, the phone muted. The technician was flabbergasted and just told the sales person to get her a new phone. haha

    Her replacement doesn't have this problem at all. Go get it replaced!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byoo511 View Post
    My wife's 1st optimus had a freaky proximity sensor. Whenever she was on a phone call, all of a sudden the phone would either go on mute or speakerphone. When we went to the sprint store to get it swapped out with a replacement, the technician there couldn't reproduce the issue. My wife took the phone, dialed a number and while she put the phone to her head, the phone muted. The technician was flabbergasted and just told the sales person to get her a new phone. haha

    Her replacement doesn't have this problem at all. Go get it replaced!
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about is just not being able to reproduce it. Is there any way that you can demand a replacement either way, or will they just argue with you non-stop until you can reproduce it in person. Can I film it or something and bring it in maybe? I'm just not in the mood to go the Sprint store 50 times trying to make it do it in their presence.

    Ugh.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Okay, this may seem obvious but do you have a screen protector on your phone? Does it cover up the proximity sensor. I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me until the revelation hit me and i took off my screen protector which was covering the sensor, which was mimicing an ear :P.
    A real "duh!" moment for me.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
    Okay, this may seem obvious but do you have a screen protector on your phone? Does it cover up the proximity sensor. I had the same problem and couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me until the revelation hit me and i took off my screen protector which was covering the sensor, which was mimicing an ear :P.
    A real "duh!" moment for me.
    Nope. Used to have an Invisible Shield on it (which has a big notch cut out for the sensor anyway) but took that off a while back. Didn't help at all.
  10. #10  
    hamagc's Avatar

    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Maybe OC Kernel

    Default

    So got my Zagg replaced yesterday. Noticed there is no longer a notch for the sensor. Doesn't seem to effect it though.

    Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Just an update (because I know everyone was waiting with baited breath for one)...

    Since flashing nROM 1.5.1, the proximity sensor has been behaving PERFECTLY in all phone calls. The true big test will be this Friday morning during a telecon, but I'm quite optimistic given that I have experienced the screen going off by itself in well over 4 days straight now. I was hoping that some of the new drivers included in the VC update would clear up the issue... looks like maybe it did
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmeader View Post
    Just an update (because I know everyone was waiting with baited breath for one)...

    Since flashing nROM 1.5.1, the proximity sensor has been behaving PERFECTLY in all phone calls. The true big test will be this Friday morning during a telecon, but I'm quite optimistic given that I have experienced the screen going off by itself in well over 4 days straight now. I was hoping that some of the new drivers included in the VC update would clear up the issue... looks like maybe it did
    So I started having this same issue a couple of days ago and was about to pull my hair out. I never had this happen before. I did a factory wipe, cleared cache & dalvik, reflashed my ROM, and low and behold I'm back in business. Thanks for posting your solution.
  13. #13  

    Default Same problem here!

    Day one - Worked great.

    Day two - everytime I make or receive a call the screen goes black and will not come back on no matter what I do. I don't even have to put it up to my face it just goes off as soon as the call connects. I have to pull the battery to reset the phone.

    I have no screen protector and no case blocking the sensor. Has done it indoors, outdoors and all types of lighting.

    This really sucks!

    Returning it for another one on Thursday Back to the EVO for now.

    P.S. This phone is faster than #$%&.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I have the same bug/flaw in my T-Mobile G2x (which is basically the same phone). Either LG got a bunch of bad proximity sensors, or they need to distribute a software update.

Posting Permissions