my problems with the new update, anyone else?

xscraper

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I apologize, if this should be under a particular thread but nothing I read really fits my situation.

So both my wife and I have the optimus S. She got the update first. Now I rooted her phone with Z4. she called me and said she hit ok and it never went through.. which turned out to be not really true, she just got confused.. so I figured it was safe, (should have read the threads here first)

After being pestered for a day. I just let it go through.. Later that night I notice the root was gone.. obviously..

But that wasn't all, after the first reboot. my home button did not work.. that never happened before, so I did reboot and it seemed to work.

then some programs on my SD card would not load.. another reboot..

and it seemed to fix that problem, but now it seems a little laggy and buggy.

already the screen froze and again another reboot.

last night I went to bed phone was 100% woke up this morning and it was 26%
I just drained it.. did a battery pull.. and is charging up to 100% but now its hot.

that NEVER happened.. I been getting 28 + hours with moderate usage.. never gets real hot on a charge.

Now my wife said her phones been pretty much the same with the update..
am I the only one? I saw that some people have wifi issues. But mine is fine

Next question, is there a way to re root? I really miss Titanium back and the fact I can move any app to the sd card.. I am back down to 18 mb after deleting cache, and most my texts..

agh why did i hit ok on that OTA upate..

jsm0377

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I ran the update via the LG update tool just in case I ever wanted to root my phone (will root once wifi hotspot loophole is patched). I too had problems with the home button not working and some of my apps on sd not working until I rebooted the device twice.

Link to Root VC

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There are reports of some uses who end up with FC's and lagginess after applying the update. From the sounds of it the only real fix I've heard from those folks is to do a hard reset.

You can also try wiping cache instead of doing a full hard reset but my guess is that won't fix the issue.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would suggest you backup with titanium, then do wipe data/cache from recovery, allowing everything to rebuild from scratch. It has resolved the issue for a couple of folks. There may be less drastic measure you can take that will also resolve it.

Also sometimes if you just have overall weird behavior, it could be the result of a bad sdcard, so you could try another card if wipe data/cache doesn't help.

If you want to downgrade back to V9 instructions are in my signature.

xscraper

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would suggest you backup with titanium, then do wipe data/cache from recovery, allowing everything to rebuild from scratch. It has resolved the issue for a couple of folks. There may be less drastic measure you can take that will also resolve it.

Also sometimes if you just have overall weird behavior, it could be the result of a bad sdcard, so you could try another card if wipe data/cache doesn't help.

If you want to downgrade back to V9 instructions are in my signature.

Since I am not rooted anymore I can't use titanium back up. Actually that is sole reason I rooted. I do have back up pro

I was thinking if I did a back up data and apps on back up pro, then factory reset to stock. do the update with the LG tool. and root with z4 again..

Is there a flaw in my logic? i really don't need the update, my phone was fine without it. I am just afraid ill get the prompts for the OTA

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Since I am not rooted anymore I can't use titanium back up. Actually that is sole reason I rooted. I do have back up pro

I was thinking if I did a back up data and apps on back up pro, then factory reset to stock. do the update with the LG tool. and root with z4 again..

Is there a flaw in my logic?
The only flaw in your logic is "going back to stock" depends on being able to root.

If you just do a factory reset, it doesn't actually get you back to your previous version. All it does is erase the data and cache partitions, but you are still left with the VC recovery and system partitions. That means you still won't be able to root.

The way around this is to "revert" to V9. Then you can root and do anything you want again.

Procedure to revert to V9 is in my signature.

xscraper

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
ah.. that's the answer i was looking for.. thanks...

thanks for having that procedure.. looks a little daunting. I have messed around with my Moment with rooting and modding but not very much..

could i brick it if i messed up one of those steps?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ah.. that's the answer i was looking for.. thanks...

thanks for having that procedure.. looks a little daunting. I have messed around with my Moment with rooting and modding but not very much..

could i brick it if i messed up one of those steps?
Well, whenever you flash, you could brick your phone.

However in my experience the revert procedure itself is pretty safe as the tool handles most of the work for you. The stuff you'd do afterwards to unroot and return to stock are areas more prone to errors since you are doing lots of steps manually. However, you could just revert to V9, run z4root.apk, and be rooted. The extra steps are just necessary if you want to move to VC and still have the ability to root.

The high-level summary is what you are trying to accomplish and it is relatively simple.

The detailed steps end up looking daunting because it is trying to be more idiot proof so provides lots of details and it evolves over time as people ask questions.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So pretty much once you install the V9 I am good to go?
does this take it back to stock.. (as per out of the box stock?)
After doing the revert to V9 procedure (the relatively safe part of the procedure I mentioned above), it will be "out of the box stock" except for the Recovery partition, which will still be the VC Recovery partition. The phone should function fine this way (V9 OS, V9 Radio, VC Recovery) and you can root using the z4root one-click solution.

If you want exactly stock, you just need to restore the V9 Recovery partition. Very few people would be able to tell you are running the VC Recovery partition though. If however you want to have the VC OS and VC Radio, then you will need to restore the V9 Recovery partition as it is the key to allowing you to root after the VC update (also you must install the VC update using the LG Software Updater tool)

In my instructions, I just referred to the "How to Unroot" thread because it gives you detailed instructions and has the V9 Recovery partition available for download already.

xscraper

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I can't even get past the updater step.. I keep getting the error listed when the the LG tool runs.

Is the phone suppose to reboot when the lg tool starts? it didn't the first time..

Is this the only way to flash back? I am a total noob i just can't get the procedure to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay