Screen goes crazy with 1Amp charger?

bltpyro

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I put a couple of chargers in different places around the house so I can plug my phone in there and use it. With the stock charger it is fine, but I noticed with a 1 Amp charger that I had the screen would start to go crazy. It would run programs and type stuff like it was on hyper crazy autopilot. Anyone experienced this with higher current chargers? I'll try to get a video of it, as it is pretty interesting to see, but I don't want to leave it on that charger for fear that something will break.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There is probably something different in the wiring of the 1A charger to let the phone know it is a high current charger. I know some phones need cables which have certain pins wired a certain way or they won't charge in rapid mode.

Otherwise, whether it is 1A or .7A (like the original) shouldn't matter, as the phone only draws as much current as it needs. Voltage is a different story.

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have an Apple 1A charger - no problems here with charging. Where did you get your 1A chargers? It's possible that your chargers are outputting too much voltage and is frying some of the delicate electronics inside.
I have tested some chargers that came from China - some of which are outputting 9.5V, which is almost twice the designed voltage for the phone.

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I have some other chargers to but they output a lil less 5.0v and 550mA by motorola. The original charger is 5.1v and .7mA. so since the moto is a tiny bit less I dont worry and it works great. I would not use a charger that is more for the one reason stated above. there is a reason for the particular output. Note most car chargers output to much so dont leave them plugged in forever. They say they fixed most phones/batteries from over charging but I am a skeptic on that issue. :)

maru2001

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the issue with a 700mA chargers as well. Its easy to replicate just start a media player with buttons on the bottom and plug in the charger while its playing. Leave it play for about 5-10min and suddenly it playback buttons start to be pressed over and over. Maybe mine is permanently damaged from using the 1amp charger that I used previously and then changed to the 700mA to see if it was the issue. I am running thundrom. OP what rom are you on? I am going to flash back to stock this weekend and see if my issues have been resolved if not then its off to get a replacement since there shouldn't be a issue with 700 when the stock is 700mA.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten problems like this with both 0.7 and 1A chargers....home and car....I always assumed it was from the screen being on too long (I have mine stay on while charging). Hitting the power button a couple times to cycle the screen off and on again seems to fix it, but I have no idea why. Happens with thunderom, nrom, and CM7...not sure about stock.

Sent from my phone

maru2001

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten problems like this with both 0.7 and 1A chargers....home and car....I always assumed it was from the screen being on too long (I have mine stay on while charging). Hitting the power button a couple times to cycle the screen off and on again seems to fix it, but I have no idea why. Happens with thunderom, nrom, and CM7...not sure about stock.

Sent from my phone

I just tried to replicate it with the stock charger and it did not happen. And it seems that only the stock charger allows for rapid quick charge. I used the ap Battery Doctor to see which mode its in. Im so confused, which car/home charger is best other then stock?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463