Small Tweaks to improve Optimus

calidoc75

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

here's a few things i did to improve the already awesome Optimus:

1) The stock gallery for picture viewing isn't great. It loads slowly and you dont have many options. I downloaded the free app "QuickPic" which resolved the speed issue.

2) I keep my brightness setting at 45%. My battery life is better and the screen is still plenty bright.

3) Downloaded "Shake2Mute" so that you can silence the ringer easily without pressing a button. This was built into my touch pro 2, but i guess the optimus needs this app.

4) Downloaded SMS Backup (saves to gmail acct) so that i can delete texts on my phone every week-- this is important because the speed of either handcent or Go SMS stays super fast. I found that with several hundred texts to load up, it slows down.

There are more threads for all the other great apps available, just thought i would share these since my phone is super speedy now and the battery life is 1-1.5 days with moderate/heavy use. Cant complain.

Feel free to share more speed hacks!

Reactions: whatafeeling

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Good tips. I actually run my screen at 0%, popping it up to 40 in bright light and 100 in direct sunlight....I find even 0% is nicely bright.

Never kenw about the fact that there are gallery replacements....of COURSE there would be...it just never occured to me. I'll check out QuickPic, thanks...(the gallery is abysmally slow...)

Jack Constantin

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I had an HTC hero for almost a year, and it was fine except for the constant self rebooting. Sprint gave me an LG Optimus S as a replacement. I'm still not quite sure how to work this phone, also, how do i get the bookmarks/ gmail widgets similar to what the hero has?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I had an HTC hero for almost a year, and it was fine except for the constant self rebooting. Sprint gave me an LG Optimus S as a replacement. I'm still not quite sure how to work this phone, also, how do i get the bookmarks/ gmail widgets similar to what the hero has?

I don't know...but perhaps post a new thread....this is OT in this thread.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I haven't owned an HTC/Sense android phone so I'm not familiar with the gmail/bookmark widgets you mention so I'll just throw out what I use.

For both gmail and bookmarks I use launcher pro plus. I have an icon for both the browser and gmail in the doc. The gmail icon displays the number of unread emails and I have the browser icon setup so if I swipe up on it it will present a pop-up window with my favorites.

I'm sure there are a number of widgets available in the market (or even available in the paid version of launcher pro plus) for what you are looking for.

If you can't guess... my top tip for the optimus S is launcher pro plus.

Next up, for the technically inclined is tasker for automating almost anything you might want (I have it setup to mute the phone while I'm in meetings, turn volume down during work hours and back to normal outside of work hours, turn on wifi at home, off when I'm not, etc., etc.).

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

here's a few things i did to improve the already awesome Optimus:

3) Downloaded "Shake2Mute" so that you can silence the ringer easily without pressing a button. This was built into my touch pro 2, but i guess the optimus needs this app.

!

How can you shake it if its in your pocket? LOL

The gallery actually has a few kewl features. imo but Ill check out your quikpic. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63