why is this phone so complicated

Boilingpoint

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I got this phone a few months ago and also did the ota update. Now I want to get wifi tethering working so I need to root it but every single root method are so over the top crazy its not funny. I have owned a Samsung moment and a galaxy tab and they are both ten times easier to root. Is there an easier way to root this phone that doesn't require me download and install ten different programs?

Boilingpoint

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
ok my dumb butt didnt type my last post right i have wifi tether but i want to put cm7 on my phone but still run into a very confusing set of directions to show me how to root and install custom recovery. Please someone make a post that has all the information in the OP reading through 45-100 pages of posts will take me a week and is way to much effort for a simple thing as just rooting a phone.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Boilingpoint....this OTA update came out less than two weeks ago. It's a bit unrealistic to expect an "easy" answer immediately after sprint changes the game...

Read through the "rooting with VC" thread carefully, (linked above by someone else). Edit - also, read about how to force flash back to V9, then update to VC with the LG tool, as that's what you have to do. Read it all to be sure. 50 pages only takes like 15 minutes, and it's 15 minutes that ensure you do it right. Hell, even if 50 pages takes an hour, it's an hour so you do it right...and for the most part, everything you need is in the first few posts.

Take the time to learn it right, and then do it right. Or wait a few months until all the bugs are ironed out and someone else has done the work for you, and there's a one click solution.

A word of warning though....If you're looking to run CM7, you'll probably want to gain some of the experience from doing the rooting "the hard way".

Last edited:

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Most phones are still rootable with the popular methods. The LG Optimus S is one of the first phones to receive this root blocker. Being that not many phones have the same issue, and we have a way around it, I doubt anyone is even trying to root the OTA. The experience one gets from force flashing and using adb is something everyone who wants to root needs to learn. I am against one clicks myself. If one can not use adb to root, what happens when they need to flash a nandroid via adb? Just wanna throw this out there, I miss FASTBOOT! lol

Boilingpoint

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
i am not looking for a one click method like i said b4 i came from the Moment which has a sprint updater tool. all we had to do was put the proper .tar file in the right folder and then all we had to do was flash it.

I am in complete agreement that the root block is ridiculous. I have used adb in the past to flash alpha software and to make changes to my rom on the fly. and i have the android sdk installed on one of my computers but i need a new one the sdk runs horribly on my y2k computer lol.

I think i will wait to root this phone just because there is really no gain to me other than getting my setcpu up and running but i have wifi tether even after the OTA the wifi tether widget trick still works.

Once again thank you to everyone that posted i have saved your comments and if/when i decide to root you have all been lots of help.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All the troubles you are seeing are due to the VC update Sprint just recently sent.

Prior to that, you could just install z4root and do one-click root, just like every other platform.

acromack

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, yes the update pretty much killed z4 functionality. When that worked, it was dead-simple. Install and click 'root'. Now, LG pretty much went out of their way to kill this, and the rooting process was temporarily killed with it. Not long after, a new method was discovered, albeit complicated by comparison, but it at least is still possible to root. I'm sure that given time, a simpler version will evolve in the way that z4 came about. Don't hate the phone, because it's really a great phone. Hate the manufacturers that decided to make life a lot more difficult for us consumers. But then learn to love the developers and android enthusiasts that find newer and better ways to root the phone again.

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Unsure if this was clarified in a different thread: The OTA VC update downloaded to my phone, but did not install (just clicked Info, then manually rebooted phone) according to the phone settings screens. The otacerts.zip file is sitting in the system/etc/security folder.

I like the idea of using this new Optimus S Control Center. The directions seem to require the LG Tool update to VC. If I follow the LG Tool Update directions, will there be a conflict with that otacerts.zip file? Or can that file only be activated with the single dialog box of "Install Now," "Install Later," or "Info?" Or, should I just delete this file before I use the LG Update tool?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The tool just blasts a new /system onto your phone. As part of that, otacerts.zip would become the one that comes with VC /system

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang