How good is your Battery Life?

chardog

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
How good is your battery life?

how did you get it that good?

or

does your battery life suck?

So I'll start off. I have ok battery life. I am a moderate to low user, about 20-60 minutes of talk a day, 20-60 minutes of browser use, receive around 10 emails, and do about 20 texts a day.

had 30% battery left after 2 full days.

Here is how I achieved this:

Gps turned off, and turned on only when necessary apps need it, like navigation and maps. I use Tasker to control this.

Wifi is used when possible. I set Tasker to autostart wifi when I'm in the network area.

Adfree. Yeah, using adfree might not seem ethical to everyone, but if I'm using an app, I dont want my phone to be using unnecessary data as I have quite a bit of data streaming already, with three news widgets, a calendar, and weather widget.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
hmm adfree gunna give it a shot. i get about 14hr use out of my phone with about 19% left. No gps wifi on. android central, engadget app, beautiful widget, launcher pro, youtube and twitter widgets as well.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Good idea.

This is my 4th smartphone (Touch pro, touch diamond, droid x and now opt s) and it has the best battery life of any of my previous phones.

Setup:
Rooted, running ThunderRom 1.3.
I have gmail, yahoo and work email accounts and gmail and work calendars setup on continuous sync.
I have a dropbox account synced to my phone.
I have fancy widget showing weather updates throughout the day and I use smooth calendar to show next 3 calendar events... but I try to minimize any other widgets that constantly refresh.
I use tasker to turn gps on/off if I use a navigation/gps app.
I use tasker to turn on/off wifi when I'm at home.

Usage:
I play around 30 minutes of Bubble blaster 2 per day
I make around 15 to 30 minutes of phone calls per day
I receive around 30-40 emails per day
I check my calendar a couple times a day
I just occasionally surf the web, take a photo, check a financial account and edit word/excel docs stored in dropbox.

I re-charge everynight, off the charger at 6am, back on at 10pm. Usually right around 60% charge when it goes back on the charger.

One caveat. If I'm in a low signal area during the day my battery life drops pretty quickly. Luckily that's rarely a problem for me.

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little confused here, I'm being told to turn WiFi on, but I've heard that kills the battery. :/

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are around an access point that you can access wifi is typically more battery efficient then using 3G.

However, if you aren't around an access point your phone will revert to 3G, in that case it's more efficient to turn off wifi so the phone isn't constantly searching for an open wifi access point.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok my battery usually makes it a full day. Using juice defender to control 3g and wifi at home. I have news widget, plume, fancy, and calendar. I have exchange through touchdown and get about 50 emails there. Yahoo and gmail sync by the hour and about 50 emails there. Talk about 20 minutes but like 3 hours on tapatalk and browser and market. About an hour of games. My phone has replaced my laptop lol. Oh and GPS always on.

Also this is on stock rom oced to 798. Cm7 is close to the same.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

calidoc75

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When my battery life is in the red region...like under 10%, the vibrate function doesnt work...does that happen to you guys? i didnt realize how many calls/texts i was missing because of this until today...

nickg105

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Does Juice Defender work the same for WiFi as it does with 3G? As in, does it check your email for you on a certain schedule? Because my WiFi turns off when the screen is off per Juice Defender.

Or if I'm consistently able to access WiFi (I'm on a campus) should I just dump Juice Defender and just go with location toggle?

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My battery is usually around 30% at 11pm (from 7:30am)

Wifi always on and set to never sleep, also 5 minute scan interval set in build.prop - most of the time I am in WIFI coverage (only off while in the car with BT connected). GPS and Bluetooth always on.

I run Tasker to automate almost everything. Beautiful Widgets and Genie News set to auto update. Any app that constantly runs as a service and has no reason too or can't be disabled gets uninstalled (ebay, Google Listen....).

Personally I do not use any timed data limiting apps as those would defeat the purpose of apps like Google Voice, Gmail and Talk.