Can someone explain why it stays on 1x data when...

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this with both this phone and my old Samsung moment on various ROMs and stock, so I'm thinking it's normal but just want to under it better

If I'm using data on 3G and lose 3G and end up on 1x, it stays using 1x even when I go where I normally get 3g. Once the data use is done it'll switch backback to 3G with no problem.

mxl360

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
It's the phone's weak Data antenna. I have the old TOUCH PRO 2 that always in 3G at my house. But the Optimus sometimes switch to 1x and when it's on 3G it's slow 3G.

In high signal area's it's FAST 3G. But it's just the low signal area's the 3G sucks.

I've compare the phone side by side to my Touch PRO 2.

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes when I'm in a really bad signal area (like I have to look up something at work, which is essentially a gigantic metal box), or if I manage to max out my connection for a period of time (happened once on my Optimus when I decided to do a full wipe and forgot to configure WiFi before I downloaded apps, had it happen all the time on my Centro if I tried to pull more than 20kbps for more than a minute or two), I'll drop to 1x data. In that case, the only way I've been able to get 3G back is to have the data connection turned off and then turned back on, either automatically (the phone finishes what it's doing and shuts off data) or I'll have to turn on Airplane mode or something to switch it off. My guess is that if you get bumped to 1x for any reason, it doesn't check to see if you can get bumped back up to 3G, and since this is the second phone I've had with this issue, I'm assuming it's a Sprint issue, not a phone issue.

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if there can be something written to check for 3G again to restore it so we aren't stuck on 1x until data "resets"? This is no good for streaming video on a trip. Lose 3G coverage then get stuck in it... no bueno

trekkie1701c

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Should make sure my assumption is correct before looking to solve it that way :p Mine is based on two phones, one of which had a bad radio and was being used for heavy data tethering (like, that was probably 99% of the data use) and one or two random times with this phone. On my other phone I would have to shut down my tether (which reset data) to get back on to the higher speed, so I'm assuming that it was the data reset on that that helped it. On my Optimus, once I just switched the phone in to Airplane mode then switched back to normal mode (which reset the data connection) and the other time I just ignored it because I wasn't in a hurry and checking it an hour or two later it connected to 3G just fine (after data having turned off while it was in my pocket idle).

Would really only consider myself to be right if other people are able to replicate resetting data fixing the issue, and I can't really do it too well myself - my only dead spots that I know of are at work, and they probably wouldn't like me coming in to the work area on my day off to test it out, while they tolerate me checking up on things (since it's actually kinda helpful to be able to Google random stuff at times), don't think they'd appreciate me wasting company time trying to get a good result on this :p

Who knows, maybe my cases were unique and other people that are getting stuck on 1x data are having something completely different go on? :p

gk1984

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've also experienced this with 2 phones on Sprint's network. Both acted the same way... I'm downloading or streaming on 3G, hit weaker service and switch to 1x, it stays on 1x until the downloading or streaming stops (and I've reached better signal and where I know 3G is available).

I commute by train to work everyday, so I've figured out the 3G dead-zones and such, which are pretty narrow - as in I may only have no or weak signal and no 3G for a minute or 2 at most with the train moving. BUT if I hit 1 of those 3G dead spots and it switches to 1x, it'll stay there the entire train ride unless I stop my data use. It did this with both phones. I didn't have to reset the phone, enter airplane mode, nothing. Just simply stop using data and it'll instantly switch back to 3G if it's available in my area.

I'd be willing to test something to help reduce/resolve this since I experience this daily. (However, waiting on word of getting a new job which won't have me taking the train - but i'd still test how I can) I just don't have the know-how to program anything. I asked this to understand why this is, as I find it annoying and is just a headache if I wanna watch something on my commute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol