Can't Update Google Maps 5.3

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I tried to update Google Maps through the Android Market but I keep getting a Download unsuccessful message.

I also tried to clear the data/cache from the Market, then retried to download but that didnt seem to work either.

Don't know if this helps but I'm currently on ThundeRom 1.8.2

Does anybody have any suggestions in which i could try? I want to try out the new features in the update.

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You are possibly out of cache space, any of the system info apps should be able to tell you how much space is free in system/data/cache partitions. If cache is low I would go to recovery and format it. Sometimes previous downloads from market stick around in that space. A quick fix I used in the past is to use a file manager to delete some dalvik cache files so that bigger apps (15mb+) can update. Android later recreates these files.

Reactions: 64fairlane

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned up the dalvik cache using Titanium Backup.
The download finally started. I was impressed that it actually worked.
The only problem was that when Google Maps 5.3 started to install on my phone I received another message: "Package File Invalid"

Does anybody know what this means?

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I cleaned up the dalvik cache using Titanium Backup.
The download finally started. I was impressed that it actually worked.
The only problem was that when Google Maps 5.3 started to install on my phone I received another message: "Package File Invalid"

Does anybody know what this means?

I was having the exact same problem as you, so I used root explorer to delete some files in the dalvik cache. My download also went through the process of downloading (which is wasn't doing before, but when it tries to install I get the "Package File is Invalid" error.

Any luck getting it to work. I am running into the same problem trying to update the Kayak app too.

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I read the following about why we are getting the error, but I am not sure how to fix it:

"The reason this happens is that custom roms and kernels move your dalvik-cahce to the /cache mount. Android assumes that it is in the /data mount which is the same place your apps get installed and which is monitored by the system for low space. Basically the download had no place to go, giving you a download error (since the market uses /cache to store downloaded apps). Or if there was room for the downloaded file you get package error because the .dex file can't get created in your dalvik-cache."

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that I found to work was uninstalling some apps. I tried lots of other things like wiping cache, wiping dalvik, deleting things from dalvik using root explorer, etc.

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I found the fix for me. What I did was to go into recovery and wipe dalvik cache. Then Reboot.

After that everything worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech