SDXC Cards

nikc4

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Does this phone support the new sdxc cards? Or can the ability be added via software? similar to rockboxing can enable sdhc on older media players?

xyzopq

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
> Looks like a specific SDXC driver is needed for Windows to recognize those types of card. I would think LG may have to release a driver for SDXC support...

From the links you gave, it looks to me more as though Microsoft already released the needed drivers...

and Android is Linux-based, therefore ONE WAY to make it read/write to sdxc would be for LG or others to give Android exFAT [or other] support like you said (exFAT read/write support IS being done for other Linux-based systems, i.e. desktop computers...
BUT another way might already exist:
1. The SD 3.0/sdxc spec indicates that SD 3.0 cards have no physical changes from SD 2.0/sdhc (in contrast, the SD 4.0 spec is a different, faster TYPE of "sdxc" which will be faster and WILL have different pin-outs than SD3.0 & SD2.0 cards...); the only difference from SD2.0 to SD3.0 is supposedly the exFAT filesystem, and
2. the links you gave to the sdxc association link to Microsoft; as I read the Microsoft "KB" descriptions, the information about the Microsoft "drivers" that are needed seems to indicate that yes, they only serve to give accurate filesize reads from the exFAT filesystem... therefore...

for your LG --or any other Android device-- to become sdxc-compatible, you might only need to reformat your SDXC card to ext4 (or other filesystems that Android CAN read, and which are suitable for more than the 32GB (and 4GB filesize) limits of FAT32 (as used on SDHC). ext4 is a Linux filesystem & Android uses the Linux kernel & works well with ext4 (unlike exFAT...). To re-format to ext4 would be simple: just download & burn any recent & popular Linux distro to a live-CD; boot to CD; choose to format you 64GB/128GB card to ext4 (after backing it up of course, but you should already have a backup). I saw a few others suggest that this should work, but didn't keep up with the issue & don't know their results...and NOTE that I haven't tried that to confirm that an sdxc would then have full read/write capabilities -- but what do you have to lose, so long as you've backed-up your data (as you should be doing w/any files you don't want to lose)? If re-formatting to ext4 doesn't let your Android read/write, just use Windows to format it back to exFAT. (one more caveat: IF anyone want to access the sdxc's files from their desktop-PC, your options are: format the SDXC to NTFS not ext4, BUT: you might need to add the "package" (equivalent to what MS would call a "driver") for "NTFS-3G" which is the emulator that Linux uses to make Microsoft's NTFS filesystem compatible with the Linux kernel which Android uses) OR FAT32 instead of NTFS or exFAT would be decent (just a little SLOW) for 64GB but sucky for 128GB sdxc cards...using FAT32 won't require any Linux add-on "package" BUT: FAT32 loses files during an unclean shutdown more than ext4 or NTFS, OR go ahead and use an ext4-formatted card then add a patch to Windows so ext4 can be read by Windows -- if you only have Windows, OR you could dual-boot Linux & Windows, and then allow Linux to have access to your Windows "My Documents"/music/movies, OR (less tech knowledge needed, but more time-consuming) you could boot onto that Linux live-CD to copy small files from an ext4 sdxc to a FAT32 drive, then boot into Windows to xfer the needed file(s) from the FAT32 into your Windows, and vice-versa).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol