OMG!!! I dropped my phone in the shower!

MonsteRoid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So don't ask how, but I dropped my phone in the shower just 30 min. ago. It had a plastic snap case but when it fell it all came apart. The backing fell and the battery. I tried to pick it all up as fast as it could but it was all wet. I dried it all off immediately.

I still having it drying out but the battery has like a little strip on the bottom and it's reddish. Does that mean that the battery is dead now? Also what do you guys think is the possibility that the phone is still good?

I can't believe I've only had my phone for a month and I've already (possibly) killed it.:':)':)'(

Any advice would help.

Thanks AC.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The strip you are referring to is what Sprint techs use to see if your phone has water damage. If it is red then there MAY BE water damage.

Your phone certainly could still work just fine but you just destroyed any chance you have of getting any free replacements as your warranty is now void.

Moral of the story: Smartphone + shower = BAAAAAD!!!

Last edited:

debh945

May 15, 2010
www.scrappincop.com
My dad swam in a lake for half an hour with his cell in the pocket of his swim trunks. He opened it all up and put the parts in a ziplock bag on top of uncooked white rice (not minute rice). Don't ask me how but after leaving it in the bag overnight, it worked.

The red strip on your battery is a water damage indicator, to tip off repair techs that it has gotten wet. It doesn't necessarily mean you killed it.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

Reactions: MonsteRoid

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wet Phone

Let it dry for a min. of 24 hours in a warm, low humidity area as tempting as it is don't put the battery in or plug in the ac adapter. You were fortunate the battery popped out since there would have been no power to the phone when it hit the water. As far as the red strip that only indicates the battery came in contact with a liquid but has no bearing as to how it will operated once dry. Based on your discription I would give it a very good chance all we be ok. Good Luck

Reactions: MonsteRoid

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
For the record I have dropped my phone in snow, didn't realise it and came back 30 minutes later. Put it back together and it booted fine. These phones are pretty tough little guys.

MonsteRoid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips and replies folks. I'm gonna try putting it in a bag of rice.

But yeah, I don't have insurance and I know that I'm not going to be getting any replacements now.

I was wondering if any battery from amazon might work in case this one is shot. I've seen a lot of cheap ones, since I'm broke, do you guys suggest they might work? Or are they Chinese crap batteries that will blow my phone up.

Amazon.com: lg optimus s battery - Cell Phones & Accessories

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
If it's just the battery that's toast then get a new battery. But if water got inside the phone and hits any of the circuit boards your phone is toast.

Try putting the phone back together (once it dries) and see what happens first.

EDIT: Out of curiosity why did you have your phone anywhere near the shower?

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
We could only assume What you were doing.(pervert laugh)

Be sure to throw the rice away after

Winning!!!(charilie Sheen voice)

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

MonsteRoid

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I take my phone every where with me. EVERYWHERE. Not the shower of course but I take it to the bathroom. I left it on the sink and when I got out of the shower I guess the towel flung it into the tube and there was still water in it. So yea.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I still having it drying out but the battery has like a little strip on the bottom and it's reddish. Does that mean that the battery is dead now? Also what do you guys think is the possibility that the phone is still good?

I've never tried this myself...

Someone on one of the forums mentioned getting Peroxide and a Q-tip

Slowly rub the strip - and it'll magically turn white again

May also work with bleach (stuff you use to whiten your clothing)

If using bleach, dilute it first...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
opening all the covers, pulling the battery, then putting it in a container of rice for a night or two is probably good enough to dry it out.
I've waterlogged several phones, including an Optimus V (same hardware as Optimus S) and they've all revived as long as they're quickly powered down and thoroughly dried.

the fastest I recovered one was an Optimus V, total dunk, immediately took it apart and blew it dry with compressed air. used it five minutes later. took about a month for the light spots to fade off the screen, and the sd card that was in it needed cleaned with rubbing alcohol before it stopped randomly unmounting, but no other issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital