Voicemail

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
:confused: ok so i was just wondering if there was a way to get the sprint voicemail icon/ widget back, ive got Nameless rom v1. i kinda like the fact that it downloads to my phone and i'm not dependant on google's "cloud" to send it to me. Or you guys could change my mind and explain the pros/ cons of either or both... either way i would like a simple widget like the one sprint gave us/ me to begin with. thx in advance.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i suspect in the not too distant future Sprint will stop offering VVM and tell you to use GV instead. Sprint has to own, operate, maintain, update, support their VVM servers which is an expense to the company. Why would they do that when they are can form a partnership with google and let them maintain everything?
-Google voice has a widget (2 in fact)
-Google voice has better audio quality of VM's than the horribly compressed Sprint VVM's
-Google voice allows separate voicemail greeting for each number. If your mom calls you it can literally say "hi mom, i cant come to the phone..."
-You can listen to GV through computers, not just phones like Sprint VM
-Once setup, it's just like Sprint VVM in that you click on the message you want to hear which are all listed chronologically, you play the message, and can save or delete or whatever in any random order.

And all that above without porting your number. You can port your number if you want but you can use GV for only voicemail (like i do) and it's a 30 second setup. I'd always been against GV in the way that i didnt want to port or forward or jump through hoops or anything, i wanted quick easy and done. Then i learned that they now offer VVM only which was exactly what i wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalums

Kalums

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
i suspect in the not too distant future Sprint will stop offering VVM and tell you to use GV instead. Sprint has to own, operate, maintain, update, support their VVM servers which is an expense to the company. Why would they do that when they are can form a partnership with google and let them maintain everything?
-Google voice has a widget (2 in fact)
-Google voice has better audio quality of VM's than the horribly compressed Sprint VVM's
-Google voice allows separate voicemail greeting for each number. If your mom calls you it can literally say "hi mom, i cant come to the phone..."
-You can listen to GV through any computer, not just your phone like Sprint VM
-Once setup, it's just like Sprint VVM in that you click on the message you want to hear which are all listed chronologically, you play the message, and can save or delete or whatever in any random order.

And all that above without porting your number. You can port your number if you want but you can use GV for only voicemail (like i do) and it's a 30 second setup. I'd always been against GV in the way that i didnt want to port or forward or jump through hoops or anything, i wanted quick easy and done. Then i learned that they now offer VVM only which was exactly what i wanted.

You are awesome thank you, i think now that i worked the "kinks" out, i'll be sticking with GV. It does work better i just wish it had a small (1 slot) widget, but its worth giving up to get all the other extras.

PS for everyone else playing w/ thier vmail...., after provisioning if it still doesn't "work" for you, go to your GMail and click on the "gear icon" in the top right corner, go to Google voice, click on phones and activate your #. that is where i was having issues.
Again thx KSmith.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i wish it had a 1x1 notification widget as well but check out executive assistant. That might suit your needs. I've never used it but been keeping my eye on it for a bit. May be checking it out soon.

Says it has GV integration. Might be only in paid version though i dunno