1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Good choice?

Hello!

Is this device a good one overall? My wife and I r coming from iPhone.

Thanks!

You can always pay for a better phone but for the price this is an excellent phone

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

While the Optimus s is an awesome mid-range android phone, it is just that. Although it's very good (for a mid range phone), I think you will be disappointed coming from an iphone. It's not silky smooth like an iphone and the camera isn't even close. Besides that, you'll likely notice small pauses and lags where as the iphone is just seamless and smooth.

Ez duzit

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Compare it to an iPhone and you'll be disappointed.
    Compare it to nothing and you'll be very pleased.

Is the cup half empty or half full?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks! My wife main purpose for the phone will be calls, texts and emails.

Apps on the phone would be very little. Since she uses Apple iPad for apps.

Also, I notice on Sprint website. It says "Linked Contacts" with a red X. Does that mean no goggle contacts can be sync to phone and back?

Edit: For myself, how many apps can you add on this phone, before low memory?
    Last edited by MNTwinsFan; 04-25-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I came from a blackberry curve, which i used primarily for the same thing (text, email, internet) and if she plans to do the samething and a bit more i think this phone is an excellent value.

When i got this phone i ended up doing a ton more lol

ROM
    Stock

This phone definitely syncs google contacts back and forth, no worries there.

As for apps....I have around 64 on my phone, and I've got something like 88 mg free out of 165 mg. I use a free app called "Titanium Backup" to transfer as many apps as possible to my SD card. Without moving them, (which doesn't affect how they run), I'd only have around 17 mg free.
    Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
    This phone definitely syncs google contacts back and forth, no worries there.

As for apps....I have around 64 on my phone, and I've got something like 88 mg free out of 165 mg. I use a free app called "Titanium Backup" to transfer as many apps as possible to my SD card. Without moving them, (which doesn't affect how they run), I'd only have around 17 mg free.
    What he fails to tell you though is he is rooted, which if you dont know what that is or dont plan on doing then you will not have that much memory left! Other wise it is a good phone for a starter to mid range.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by blackops1125 View Post
    What he fails to tell you though is he is rooted, which if you dont know what that is or dont plan on doing then you will not have that much memory left! Other wise it is a good phone for a starter to mid range.
    Oops yeah...but even unrooted you can copy apps to the sd card using "manage applications", however you will only have about 120 meg total memory, not 165 iirc.

Sent from my phone...excuse the spelling mistakrs.

Good choice for a starter. Though i didn't have one . I heard from my friends a thousand of times.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks everyone! Looking to get that instead of Nexus.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts

fwiw... I got this phone for free and before the $10/mo smartphone data fee went into effect. It saved me roughly $500 over buying an Evo/Epic. If I were buying now I'd probably go with the Nexus S or even wait for the Evo 3D since the price difference would probably be only about $150.

The nice thing about the Opt S is that it's stable, pocketable, good reception/call quality and has good battery life (I would put it roughly on par w the iphone 4 in terms of battery life). Downsides include limited storage space for apps and a low resolution/small screen.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Now Nexus coming out May 8th. Can't decided.

ROM
    Stock

Yeah, if you don't mind the extra up-front money, get a Nexus. Nothing makes this phone better than the Nexus. (Well....sd-card slot).

If you don't wanna spend hundreds on the phones, this is your best option.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Optimus phone support future Android updates? (Like Gingerbread and beyond)

ROM
    Stock

Thread here on that. AFAIK, we SHOULD get Gingerbread, but not for certain? I can't remember where the rumor mill is right now.

You can put GB on if you flash CM7 ROM or aospROM, (you need to root first, check out the rooting forum here...(top of the forum page)).

My husband and I got these as our first Android phones and we are both happy with them. The one that was mine (it is now a business phone) is rooted, his isn't. You can maximize your experience by rooting but it works great without it. Great value... we got ours free and imho is an excellent Android starter phone.
    Please thank me if I have helped!

Member E3DOC since 6/23/2011 Lovin' my new NS4G as well!
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Got 2 Optimus S today. Good phone, but my wife home key doesn't work.

Not good.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MNTwinsFan View Post
    Got 2 Optimus S today. Good phone, but my wife home key doesn't work.

Not good.
    To fix the wife home key, light candles, turn on nice music, mow the lawn, (not today, too damn much rain). Cook a nice dinner, maybe lobster or crab.

This is the key to getting wife home to work, I think...

I'm still trying to get the wife and kid out of the house for a few hours key to work.
    Thanked by:
    tirith 

I would wait for the htc evo 3d. Then your phone will be future proof for at least a year. the optimus is already outdated lol
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

unfortunately, the optimus was outdated upon release (due to no flash support) but that hasnt stopped anyone from getting it...

For the price, its an amazing phone (got mine free...)

It handles a lot, and then some, and can do almost anything an android phone can do, except play native flash outside of that special browser I can never remember the name of.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Compared to iphone you are getting the same thing, but a tad bit slower. You will never have Flash, that is the deal breaker for me on this phone. I had it, got a different droid phone and gave it to my wife. You dont have a front facing camera with this, you really need to root it to get maximum optimization out of it. Rooting the Optimus S can be tricky for a noob, just look at all the brick threads! BUT for free its a DAMN GOOD phone, lol
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

The brick threads are usually started by people who skip steps or dont read....

Swyped from my g-breaded optimus prime.