Good choice?

Ez Duzit

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
While the Optimus s is an awesome mid-range android phone, it is just that. Although it's very good (for a mid range phone), I think you will be disappointed coming from an iphone. It's not silky smooth like an iphone and the camera isn't even close. Besides that, you'll likely notice small pauses and lags where as the iphone is just seamless and smooth.

Ez duzit

MNTwinsFan

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! My wife main purpose for the phone will be calls, texts and emails.

Apps on the phone would be very little. Since she uses Apple iPad for apps.

Also, I notice on Sprint website. It says "Linked Contacts" with a red X. Does that mean no goggle contacts can be sync to phone and back?

Edit: For myself, how many apps can you add on this phone, before low memory?

Last edited:

the_mastermind

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I came from a blackberry curve, which i used primarily for the same thing (text, email, internet) and if she plans to do the samething and a bit more i think this phone is an excellent value.

When i got this phone i ended up doing a ton more lol

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
This phone definitely syncs google contacts back and forth, no worries there.

As for apps....I have around 64 on my phone, and I've got something like 88 mg free out of 165 mg. I use a free app called "Titanium Backup" to transfer as many apps as possible to my SD card. Without moving them, (which doesn't affect how they run), I'd only have around 17 mg free.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
This phone definitely syncs google contacts back and forth, no worries there.

As for apps....I have around 64 on my phone, and I've got something like 88 mg free out of 165 mg. I use a free app called "Titanium Backup" to transfer as many apps as possible to my SD card. Without moving them, (which doesn't affect how they run), I'd only have around 17 mg free.

What he fails to tell you though is he is rooted, which if you dont know what that is or dont plan on doing then you will not have that much memory left! Other wise it is a good phone for a starter to mid range.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What he fails to tell you though is he is rooted, which if you dont know what that is or dont plan on doing then you will not have that much memory left! Other wise it is a good phone for a starter to mid range.

Oops yeah...but even unrooted you can copy apps to the sd card using "manage applications", however you will only have about 120 meg total memory, not 165 iirc.

Sent from my phone...excuse the spelling mistakrs.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
fwiw... I got this phone for free and before the $10/mo smartphone data fee went into effect. It saved me roughly $500 over buying an Evo/Epic. If I were buying now I'd probably go with the Nexus S or even wait for the Evo 3D since the price difference would probably be only about $150.

The nice thing about the Opt S is that it's stable, pocketable, good reception/call quality and has good battery life (I would put it roughly on par w the iphone 4 in terms of battery life). Downsides include limited storage space for apps and a low resolution/small screen.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you don't mind the extra up-front money, get a Nexus. Nothing makes this phone better than the Nexus. (Well....sd-card slot).

If you don't wanna spend hundreds on the phones, this is your best option.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thread here on that. AFAIK, we SHOULD get Gingerbread, but not for certain? I can't remember where the rumor mill is right now.

You can put GB on if you flash CM7 ROM or aospROM, (you need to root first, check out the rooting forum here...(top of the forum page)).

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I got these as our first Android phones and we are both happy with them. The one that was mine (it is now a business phone) is rooted, his isn't. You can maximize your experience by rooting but it works great without it. Great value... we got ours free and imho is an excellent Android starter phone.

Reactions: MNTwinsFan

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Got 2 Optimus S today. Good phone, but my wife home key doesn't work. :(

Not good.

To fix the wife home key, light candles, turn on nice music, mow the lawn, (not today, too damn much rain). Cook a nice dinner, maybe lobster or crab.

This is the key to getting wife home to work, I think...

I'm still trying to get the wife and kid out of the house for a few hours key to work.

Reactions: tirith