Wav File > Dropbox > Ringdroid > Why Not?

jefboyardee

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a folder with WAV files that I want to assign as ringtones, so I put it in Dropbox. I can open the folder in Dropbox and play the files on my phone, so I know they?re in there. But when I open Ringdroid (or Prefs>Sound or Zedge), they don?t appear. Ain?t there a way to get them out of the box?

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I had to put my mp3 ringtones into the music folder. Only problem is when i shuffle music sometimes a ringtone gets played. This hasn't been a bother so I never researched any further.

mrtazmania2

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
sounds like he was referring to long pressing an mp3 file and selecting option to assign as ringtone. The music folder is on the root directory of the phone, if you don't have root access you can't change it. If you have root you can move the file to the system media folder where the rest of the ringtones are located, however, I do not think you can use a wav file as a ringtone.....pretty sure it has to either be ogg or mp3

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually have the same problem with putting pictures in my dropbox. I download them but they won't show up in my gallery. I know they're there because I can browse to them in root explorer and open them from there.
No clue why, though

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I had to use mp3 instead of wav, but all i did was connect my phone as USB storage. Then you navigate to media/audio/ringtones ( if you have it). If you dont have it just create that folder structure and place your mp3s in the ringtones folder.

If you wanna do it without a computer just use Astro or Estrong to copy the files. Once you download them through Dropbox, just copy them to the right folder. No root necessary.

They will then show up in settings, sound, phone ringtone menu.

I actually have the same problem with putting pictures in my dropbox. I download them but they won't show up in my gallery. I know they're there because I can browse to them in root explorer and open them from there.
No clue why, though

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

When you download them, it saves them to /sdcard/Dropbox/Photos/whatevername

This is apparently too deep a folder structure for Gallery to look so it doesn't find the pictures. When they are moved to the top Dropbox folder it finds them.

Last edited:

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I had to use mp3 instead of wav, but all i did was connect my phone as USB storage. Then you navigate to media/audio/ringtones ( if you have it). If you dont have it just create that folder structure and place your mp3s in the ringtones folder.

If you wanna do it without a computer just use Astro or Estrong to copy the files. Once you download them through Dropbox, just copy them to the right folder. No root necessary.

They will then show up in settings, sound, phone ringtone menu.

This worked for me - I used Root Explorer to move my .mp3 file into the folder:

/system/media/audio/ringtones

Then once I rebooted, the new ringtone showed up - I had to reboot my phone for it to show.