Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default wp7 port?

    Is anyone aware of a WP7 port for the S?
  2. #2  
    drewwalton19216801's Avatar

    Posts
    2,538 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkbruin View Post
    Is anyone aware of a WP7 port for the S?
    Two things about that. OK one thing and one question.

    1. Never going to happen. Windows Phone 7 is made for very specific hardware and because of the closed-source nature of the OS there would be no (easy) way to port it to unapproved devices.

    2. Why would you want Windows Phone 7 on an Android device? Android IMO is far superior.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I read this and all the came to mind was "why?????"

    BUT... there IS a WP7 style launcher/home screen. I can't remember the name, but I don't think it references Windows in the name.
  4. #4  
    sonicbluemustang's Avatar

    Posts
    430 Posts
    ROM
    Cold As Ice

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gk1984 View Post
    I read this and all the came to mind was "why?????"

    .
    Thats funny cause that was my thought also.


  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default

    Because I like to try different things.

    Because I have been less than impressed with the factory setup on this phone. I am playing with launchers and swapping apps, but one thing keep nagging me about Android in general.

    I feel like the entire phone is one giant walking advertisement.

    I feel like every time I make a keystroke I am being data-mined by both Google and any/all third party apps that are installed, in addition to being innundated with advertisements on a majority of the apps.

    This may not be the case at all; however, that is the current perception.

    WP7 has been ported to other android devices, and upcoming Mango release has opened the doors further for hardware support.

    That, and I like to tinker with things. Rooting is most likely my next step, but I shouldn't have to risk bricking my phone just to be satisfied with the OS.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkbruin View Post
    Because I like to try different things.

    Because I have been less than impressed with the factory setup on this phone. I am playing with launchers and swapping apps, but one thing keep nagging me about Android in general.

    I feel like the entire phone is one giant walking advertisement.

    I feel like every time I make a keystroke I am being data-mined by both Google and any/all third party apps that are installed, in addition to being innundated with advertisements on a majority of the apps.

    This may not be the case at all; however, that is the current perception.

    WP7 has been ported to other android devices, and upcoming Mango release has opened the doors further for hardware support.

    That, and I like to tinker with things. Rooting is most likely my next step, but I shouldn't have to risk bricking my phone just to be satisfied with the OS.
    Get this. You're 1/crapton people using Android. You're just a number. Google is not giving a damn about one person, so stop freaking out about being datamined. That aside, I don't know of any WP7 ports besides the one to the HTC HD2, and even if there WAS a port of WP7 to the Optimus S, you would need to root your phone to use it.
    Want news/reviews/tutorials on technology? Visit my website http://www.techneektv.com
  7. #7  

    Default

    launcher is called android phone 7
    and yeah you would have to root anyways so just bite the bullet and do it, its not hard so long as you can read
  8. #8  
    uberjam545's Avatar

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    ROM
    Reborn ROM 2.2.1

    Default

    i would like to play with a wp7 for a while the games and stuff they show them playing in the commercals look very high detail so i wonder if they have some kind of dedicated gpu (things always look better in comercials though). I also want to see if they can really play xbox arcade games cuz if i could play the south park tower defense game on my phone my life would be complete.
  9. #9  

    Default

    my bad launcher7 the other one i gone now
  10. #10  
    tlrsax54's Avatar

    Posts
    318 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I don't see many advertisements unless I download a free app...just buy it......
  11. #11  
    phreak311's Avatar

    Posts
    102 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root, Phone and Tab

    Default

    AdFree comes to mind. And while I do respect your opinion, I too think Android is superior. Even though I've never used a Windows Phone 7 device. I do think it would be neat if the O.S. could be ported to our phones though. I've been reading up on using Android on an x86 based PC. I have an old laptop i'd like to try it on. I've found a website all about it, been reading about it. Anybody else try anything like this?
  12. #12  
    Hoverbot's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    Reborn

    Default

    I remember back towards the end of my days toward the end of my days with the HTC touch(vogue), there was a successful port of android. I can understand the want to do something like that. Android is open source though, so it is quite possible to port that to other unsupported phones if someone has enough knowhow.

    Windows to an unsupported Anything that Microsoft doesn't want you to use? phone? without the exact hardware, not even close, since no one can grab the source. In fact it might not even be possible with the exact hardware.

    But, yeah there is an app launcher for that, although not really the same thing.
    I don't bite... really! I don't!
  13. #13  
    sonicbluemustang's Avatar

    Posts
    430 Posts
    ROM
    Cold As Ice

    Default

    So now, Advertisemenity, mmm, need root, custom recovery then new Rom.
    "This is not a paid advertisement!"

Posting Permissions

B