Optimus Elite reboots a lot

cwcowellshah

May 22, 2012
Visit site
My Optimus Elite on Virgin is 3 days old. I haven't messed with any of the system software (haven't tried to unlock it or anything).

It reboots itself about 10 times per day. I'll be in the middle of using some app and it'll do its power-off vibrate thing, go black, and reboot.

This is my first Android phone, so I don't know if that means: the phone's broken and I should return it, or maybe I put installed a bad app that's causing instability, or maybe Android phones often do this?

Any thoughts? Is this normal?

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Definitely should be replaced. That is not normal though if you want to try saving it press HOME VOLUME DOWN and then power and do a full data and cache wipe to see if it will help.

Otherwise I think you got a lemon.

Reactions: cwcowellshah

jeancormier

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Same problem, I did return it to Radio Shack for another one and it's doing the same thing. It's rebooting several times a day. Also I did not root the phone or anything.

cwcowellshah

May 22, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I returned the phone, and the replacement phone was just as bad.

HOWEVER... I discovered that it only rebooted when I was hooked up to my corporate WiFi network, which uses some super-duper security model. When I hooked up to the less secure "guest" WiFi network, or to my WiFi at home, or just used the 3G radio for data, it's rock solid--no reboots in a week. So I suspect there's some issue in the 802.11g networking stack of the phone that causes a memory leak or other software corruption when connected to certain WiFi networks.

JeanCormier, are you having trouble when on WiFi, or also when in 3G mode?

Ozok

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
cwcowellshah, I can offer anecdotal support for the 802.11 theory. I am also using my Optimus Elite on a network with username/password authentication, and I have noticed that my phone sometimes reboots when awakened (presumably when reconnecting to the network?)

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
the optimus elite from vm has a number of issues that will most likely need an update to resolve,but with vm's track record on pushing updates. i wouldnt expect one. unless it comes directly from lg. dont hold your breath on it. and as for root. well that has been accomplished. but it is far from an easy root method and there is as of yet no rom development thats been made public that im aware of. looks dismal at this point.

cwcowellshah

May 22, 2012
Visit site
That's disappointing to hear.

Oddly, my (non-rooted) Optimus Elite on VM has worked like a champ since I stopped trying to connect to my corporate WiFi. No issues whatsoever.

shimdidly

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to drop in and say I'd been having the same problem with the same culprit: Our college's 802.1x wifi. Since I've disconnected from it, I haven't been having issues. This is only an hour after the fact, so this isn't a guarantee, but I've been messing around with it and inducing a crash, and it is running really solid now. I will post again a while from now if issues still crop up.

By the way, thanks for this thread. You saved me a lot of trouble.

cwcowellshah

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Glad the info was helpful. It seems like a really strange problem--odd that so glaring a software issue could have made it past LG and Virgin Quality Assurance.

I love my Optimus Elite now that I've gotten the reboots ironed out.

nollpost

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem as many of the posters. It kept looping instead of connecting to my wireless network. So, I just created a guest network on my AirPort utility. And it finally worked without any issues so far. Hope it works for someone else as well. Good luck!