Straight talk Optimus Q explore before you buy.

PROlific666

May 13, 2012
Visit site
This post is intended for those of you who are considering buy the optimus q from straight talk and those who have already bought it and maybe considering to upgrade in the future. Before you spend 190 to 300 dollars on a tracfone branded android consider checking the used market. I spent $190 on the optimus q thinking I was getting a great deal on a brand new smartphone. The thing is compared to most newer androids the phone is extremely outdated. Within a month of purchasing the phone I was considering upgrading to tracfones optimus black for 250+... before you go and make that huge mistake go check out craigslist or swappa for a used android. I got the LG Thrill for $120 basically brand new with all the original screen covers and box still intact. Not to mention the phone still had 6 months left on the manufacturers warranty. I am certainly not suggesting the same exact results, however, there are people who get extremely nice phones under a contract for dirt cheap and will sell their phone accordingly. I suggest setting up a RSS fees on your local CL electronics and cell phone sections bc there are a lot of people looking for the same kind of deal. Don't get me wrong the Optimus Q is a nice phone... for 3 years ago or a grandma and there is only so much a custom rom will do. (a turd only gets so shiny) I got burned once by tracfone but never again. Be sure to get an At&t or Tmoblie phone otherwise make sure it is unlocked for use on any carrier.(this adds to the cost) Also do some research and make sure the phone is compatible with straight talks bring your own phone program (most are!) This is a public service announcement to try and insure no one else experiences the pain of defending a inferior product (optimus q, I'm looking at you.) Or extremely over priced phone (optimus black). Happy hunting!

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Optimus Q has Android Gibgerbread, correct? Many new phones are shipping with Gingerbread, so you're not talking about something outdated at all. Considering ICS has been adopted by about 6% of Android users so far, that's not too far off.

I think mainly it's a tad more pricey because of the QWERTY slideout keyboard.

PROlific666

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The software may be current but a single core 800mhz (which I've heard is actually a 600 overclocked) cpu and a armv6 gpu isn't what I would consider current. It will get the job done... somewhat... but a good number of games aren't even available for the phone. I thought it was nice too until I got my new phone and then realized its more of a kinda smart phone. You can get much much better for the money... plus sprint sucks almost everywhere and it really sucks in NWFL. I think you are putting way to much value into the OS. OK so its a turd running gingerbread lol but seriously like I said I defended it too after i bought it... its called denial... all I'm suggesting is you explore the market and see what is available.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
"A turd running Gingerbread" lol that cracked me up...

Yeah I agree, a single core processor, especially an ARMv6 processor, feels pretty dated in today's market. So I agree that's so, however if the phone was offered for under $150, that would still be a good deal for something under warranty. Personally, I use an Optimus V, and while it's nothing to shake a stick at, for the price it's a damn good phone.

Straight Talk should drop the price of the Q by about $50, imho.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
man this makes me feel really great about picking up my optimus v for fifty bucks at target in black Friday lol. Especially since ICS is coming along so damn nicely (i can't thank bobz or tdm or all the other great minds enough)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non