"Scanning media files"... Media scanner taking forever even without pictures/music

sangyx

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If anyone can shine a light on this problem I have, it would be greatly appreciated-- I've tried contacting customer service/tech support at T-Mobile, and I thought I had it fixed... but then again, maybe not.

I've factory reset my phone multiple times, and the last 2-3 times have been reset without any apps or settings restored from my backup. What happens is a pretty common problem I've seen among some people on the forum: my phone, when turning on, will have media scanner scan files forever. I don't actually time how long it takes because my phone starts getting really hot, so I get worried and end up shutting my phone off again. It does not show the percentage of the media files being scanned (ie, not even "0%" shows up, just "Scanning media files...").

What I noticed with this problem is that if I check under the Settings > Storage, if my media scanner will work fine on a restart, I can see what portions of the internal memory is being used by apps, misc, audio, etc. Each part will be highlighted with a different color on the bar, with the specified amount of memory allocated so far to each. If I happen to check the Storage and see that it's "Calculating..." and does not show the specified memory used for each component in my internal memory, then upon restart the media scanner does not finish scanning... or if it does, it takes longer than five minutes for NO excess pictures/music files that I know of.

Now I know some people will tell me it has to do with a corrupt media file-- picture/music file that the phone cannot read-- or a burnt out/not working SD card. I've tried looking at both problems.

Corrupt Media File
I factory reset my phone again a couple hours ago. There are no pictures (I deleted any I had from the picasa album that happened to auto-sync with my google account), and there are no music files. I downloaded about four apps, each of which have thousands of users, so I highly doubt it's the problem with one of these apps (if this helps, the apps are: Line, Line Play, and GO SMS Pro). Restarting the phone the first time worked fine, but after playing around on my phone for a bit (going on the apps), I check my "Storage" again and it goes back to "Calculating..." without anything changing. Restarting again, the media scanner takes forever and does not even start showing the percentage done.

SD Card
I had a tech support person look into this problem. The guy thought it might have been because of one of my apps, which I assumed was the right solution. I have used two SD cards--- SanDisks with 4GB and 16GB, both class 4. I put the SD card in, and it worked fine for the first two or three restarts on my phone. I even tried putting in a music file, and it worked fine the first time I restarted. I didn't download anything new or anything after, but in a little bit, I tried restarting again. It didn't work. As the tech support person suggested, I have re-formatted the card on my computer before putting the card into my phone (deleting everything, etc.) Like I said earlier, I also stopped using the SD card entirely, and it didn't seem to work either.

Is this a problem with what I'm doing, or is it a problem with the phone itself? I honestly can't see anything wrong with what I'm doing, but maybe someone else could shine a light/suggest something new for me? I tried taking a look at similar media scanner problems on the forums, but it hasn't seemed to help so far.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Almost want to throw the idea of something on the phone's internal file structure being goofed up. It is possible that something is corrupt in there that isn't being restored/overwritten when the factory resets are performed.

This could be fixed if the device was rooted/restored using a factory image. I however don't have any experience in the LG area so you will have to rely on the LG community here to help more.

mrsclaps

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I have an LG Lucid and was experiencing the same problem. I spent a lot of frustrating time speaking with Verizon's tech support, which included a factory reset, and also tried many of the suggestions on this forum. None of these worked for me. I finally decided to try "erase internal memory" (via "settings" then "storage") after backing up my photos and contacts. I then rebooted and problem finally solved!